[SCENARIO] WH40k: Battle for Armageddon Beta

CorvusFortis

Prince
Welcome to the Battle for Armageddon, a Warhammer 40000 scenario!

Spoiler Backstory :

The scenario set in the Warhammer 40000 universe and describes the events of the Second War for Armageddon.

Armageddon is an important Imperial Hive World. Armageddon's factories produce large numbers of weapons and vehicles critical for maintaining Imperial army.

On 941.M41 Armageddon was attacked by massive horde of Orks - crude and savage creatures searching for fighting only for the sake of fighting. This so called 'Waaagh!!!' was led by mighty ork warlord Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka. Due to negligence and arrogance of planetary Governor Herman von Strab, orks swiftly claimed northern part of the planet’s main continent – Armageddon Prime. However, most of industrial potential was concentrated on south, in the region known as Armageddon Secundus. Containing five large Hive Cities and a number of smaller separate forge complexes, Armageddon Secundus became a field for the battle, which will decide the fate of the planet.

Factions
The scenario contains two factions - Imperiun of man and Ork Waaagh! Waaagh forces are strong and numerous, while Imperial units are weak and expensive at first, but becomes stronger later in the game. Imperial players objective is to survive until stronger units appear. Both Space Marines and Squats can easily deal with Orks in large numbers.

Victory
To win the game, an Imperial player have to control as much Hives as possible for as long time as possible. Ork will eventually overrun at least two hives or more likely three of them in a very short time. You will have to deal with large Ork horde before taking them back. Ork units are very cheap and all of their buildings autoproduce units. You will need to bring your strongest units in numbers to deal with them.

Be aware, that you will be overrun in 20-30 turns, if you didn't prepare defences. Seek balance between building improvements and units. Watch out for Rok assaults. They will can easily claim rear, unprotected locations.

The two fronts of war
Despite the limitless authority, granted you by the Golden Throne, you have to deal with another almighty enemy - fear in the hearts of your servants. Workers of the manufactorums will often refuse to do their job, start panicing, try to desert and, the Emperor knows, what else could come to their narrow minds. Be sure to inherit order (alternative name for mood in the Scenario). Buildings, which bring order and reduce war weariness are essential for stable production of units.

Promethium
Gold renamed to Requistion in this scenario - the measure at which the High Command will gain you access to military assets. Maintanance and unit support is high in this scenario, while the territory is limited. Amassing requistion is essential to hurry production - units and improvements are too long to build and time is short. The only possible way is to build Promethium Refineries and Promethium Repositories. They will auto-produce Promethium barrel, which, when brought to a location with Command Center, provides +200 requisition. Establishing constant Promethium supply should be the first priority.

Strategy Tree
Science is renamed to strategy in the Scenario. The strategy tree is divided in three branches. Main branch unclocks basic units, like Infantry and Tank Regiments. Infantry Branch allows access to additional infantry units, mostly updated types of basic infantry, for example Veteran Infantry Regiments. Armor Branch allows construction of unique vehicles, like Hellhounds. More importantly, each of the latter branchers allows access to strong reinforcements - either Space Marines or Squats. Space marines are more straightforward, simply giving strong units, while Squats boosts requistiion, production and order, but you have to build units by yourself. Technically, the branches are not mutually exclusive, and you can achieve both (which, actually, happened in the original story), but it is not easy, since the first technologies of both branches give only minor bonuses. Remember, each turn counts.

Improvements

You have 5 main lines of improvements: strategy, order, requisition, defence and promethium. Each line is important, and gameplay is dependent on which line you want to build first. More importantly, final building of former three line autoproduces units each two turns. Small Wonders renamed to strategic locations and Great Wonders renamed to Critical Locations (yes-yes, a Dawn of War reference right here). There are not many of them, but you want them all in order to win.

Units

There are plenty types of units, but you want them all - for defence, attack, counter-attack, artillery bombardment, air transportation and air superiority. Orks have not only sheer brute strength (thanks to Gork) but lots of tricks in their sleeves too (thanks to Mork). You have to get ahead of them to stop their onslaught. Don't wait for Air Waaagh! to ruin your infrastructure - build anti-aircraft defences beforehand!

Supplies
Almost all units and buildings need supplies, which are renamed resources of the mod. Supplies do not give food/requisition/shield bonuses and are only strategic. You need to manage your supplies carefully, since the Hive without supplies can barely build anything. Remember though, that the same is the true for Orks. All ork supplies are located at equatorial jungle camps, while imperial ones are scattered around the hives and forges.

IMPORTANT!!!: NEVER click on Resources icons to see them in civilopedia. There's no valuable information and it causes hyperlink bug. To be fixed at some point.

Minor Features

Here comes the list of minor things to keep in mind, while playing:
- motorways (roads) movement rate is 4;
- min/max time is 4/100 turns;
- forge complex can never grow above 9 workers. Workers in Hives are unlimited, but usually settle around 14-16;
- all location defence bonuses are set to 50%;
- armies do not exist - you have to bring a leader to a capital to upgrade them to a hero unit, which has good defence and HP;
- worker actions are limited to road building, fortification and damage clearing.

Spoiler Screenshots :

Initial Ork forces

upload_2021-1-31_14-5-14.png

Hive Cities

upload_2021-1-31_14-5-39.png

upload_2021-1-31_14-5-50.png

upload_2021-1-31_14-6-1.png

upload_2021-1-31_14-6-11.png

Tech Tree

upload_2021-1-31_14-6-25.png

Civilopedia

upload_2021-1-31_14-6-45.png

upload_2021-1-31_14-6-54.png

upload_2021-1-31_14-7-12.png

Last edited:
Spoiler Credits :
Special thanks goes to LMR, who made two units specially for this scenario - Steel Legion Infantry and Steel Legion Rough Riders. His other units are used too.

Aaglo
Muffins
Great Apple
tom2050
gwendoline
NavyDawg
ShiroKubbure
DJ Bonebraker
Vuldacon
Grandraem
Taranius
georgestow
Steph

Terrain is taken from Fallout: Rebirth of the civilization.
Graphics, made by me, is either converted from WH40k: Dawn of War or comes from official/fan art from WH40k universe.

Background is partially taken from Warhammer 40000 wiki and Lexicanum.

If you see your creation in the Scenario and you are not on a credits list, please, let me know, so I can add you.

If you don't like me using your creation, let me know, and I will remove it from the mod.

Thank you!

Things to note
This is still beta, so expect bugs, broken hyperlinks in civilopedia and even occasional crushes, unexpected AI behaviour, exploits and other problems. If anything goes wrong, game seems too hard, too easy, boring, etc, please, let me know. Your oppinion on how I can improve the Scenario, is invaluable.

Installation
1. Download main file from here;
2. Download .biq file from here;
3. Extract both archives' contect into the Civilization III\Conquests\Scenarios folder;
4. I strongly recommend using NoRaze patch. I put it into the main files folder, but if you already have one, you can use it. Rename your Civ3Conquests.exe into something else, copy NoRaze version into the same folder, rename it to the Civ3Conquests and start the game with it. It is very important to back up original Civ3Conquests!
5. Start the game, go to Civ-Content and start the WH40K Battle for Armageddon scenario.

Known issues and things to do
- I am sure, there are still a lot of civilopedia bugs and broken hyperlinks. Please, let me know, if you find any;
- lots of typos and grammar errors. I really need help with this, since Engllish is not my mother language. Please, let me know, if you find any and tell me how to fix them;
- some scripts are not completed yet. Advisors still can takl about irrelevant things for the mod. More immersive lines to be done in the future;
- don't click on resourses in civilopedia to avoid hyperlink bug! To be fixed;
- some civilopedia parts are incomplete. I also want to add more background for units;
- a lot of graphics to be added. In particular, I want to add custom interface at some point.

Last edited:
this looks cool.. shame there haven't been more responses and testers! am downloading now to check this out! :)

FYI I've noticed a lot of the long lost mods around this place have links to mega upload and rapidshare etc that sadly seem to time out after a couple of years, so if you want a more reliable permanent hosting option elsewhere (as a mirror to your existing one) then I recommend ModDB.

Spoiler ModDB advice and guide :
You can either design a full mod page by going to the Civilization 3 section here and clicking on the + 'add mod' button which would allow you to create a full page with lots of pics, info and most importantly the files:
https://www.moddb.com/games/civilization-iii-conquests
(Click to expand example picture - I Accidentally had it on Civ2 instead of Civ3 when I took this snap but you get the idea haha)

ModDB will also host pictures and videos of the mod for you too, and even host blog like dev diaries & announcement articles to attract more fans to your work.

Here's my Civilization 2 Red Alert 2 scenario page if you want a example how one looks:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/civilization-2-red-alert-2-siege-of-new-york-scenario

Another example is from when I made a similar suggestion to Vindsval for his massive 1.5 gig Downfall Apocalypse Civ3 scenario that was sitting in personal cloud storage and he went and created this page for his mod:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/civilization-downfall

OR if you want the easiest quickest option then don't even make a mod page and just add your mod to the general Civ3 files/downloads section here instead (add file button is in the same place as on the mod page I showed above):
https://www.moddb.com/games/civilization-iii-conquests/downloads

ModDB file uploader has an AWESOME option to mirror an existing file download url so you may not even have to upload the file again as it can probably easily make a copy of your existing download.
(Click to expand example picture)

I'm happy to do all this for you (eg I made one for Drift's Master of Myrror Civ3 mod with his permission) as I know ModDB like the back of my hand these days (currently 12 projects on there and counting haha) but then you wouldn't have control over the download should you update the mod and would need me to update it which would suck a bit, so I usually recommend modders create their own pages.

I also have large file upload access here at CFC so I can upload a copy to here too if you want however once again it would not be under your control and you'd need me for updates.

Last edited:
I also have large file upload access here at CFC so I can upload a copy to here too if you want however once again it would not be under your control and you'd need me for updates.

Thank you for response! I would be glad to see my scenario added to your library. I don't plan any updates, unless there are some feedback on balance/bugs, so I am not concerned much about future versions.

No worries mate, people keep telling me I should add the Warhammer universe to my Civ series favourite scifi/fantasy scenario search & rescue thread and if I keep finding stuff like this I'll just have to haha!

I tested it with my steam install of Civ3 (I see you've provided steam and non steam labels files so thank you for that sir!) and it worked! Looks cool! :)

For ease of use I've combined your separate downloads into one and repacked the files in 7zip bringing the total download file size down from 78MB to 58MB.

Have uploaded the file to CivFanatics servers here:
https://www.civfanatics.com/users/downloads/civ3/WH400000 Battle for Armageddon.7z

Test screenshot:
upload_2021-9-15_17-19-55.png

Top Bottom