Whacha Cookin' Tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having alkaline carbohydrates at the moment with minimal unsaturated fats, which were preceded by a fatty protein snack. I'm also about to put together a mildly acidic carbohydrate meal for later.

Last night was roast duck with an orange glaze, roast heirloom potatoes, and steam asparagus.
I’ve also been making my own lemon- and limeade lately. I’m using a new-to-me method that is producing very nice results.

It’s a delicious bird.

It's a fatty bird too. Many means of preparation that do not take into account the fat will cause the dish to be greasy. I personally like a long, slow roast as a means to render out the fat. The result is a nice, crisp bird. There are other means as well.

I had to improvise today. This worked out rather well.

1/2 bunch cilantro (coriander herb) minced
5 green onions, minced
3 large jalapenos, seeded and minced
Juice of 1 lime
1 avocado, pitted, skinned and mashed
3 large mangoes, pitted, skinned and mashed
3 peaches, pitted, skinned and mashed
1 Tbsp fruit topping (chile lime salt)

Toss and use cold. Use 4 avocado instead of the fruit and you get a very nice guacamole. This fresh fruit salsa would be suitable for fish tacos or grilled chicken.

J

I like duck I just never made it at home. I have probably only had it a handful of times. Most Americans don't cook duck. We're boring and make chicken and hamburgers.

Made fresh spaghetti and marinara sauce both from scratch. Marinara is surprisingly easy, I used some fresh tomatoes and some canned ones. The hardest part is chopping everything as it can take a while if you're a slow chopper like me. I'm getting a lot better at pasta so I can have the dough made in a couple minutes, and roll it out and cut it in about 15, but it has to rest an hour or so in between so it's a process. And the sauce I simmered for a couple hours so it's not a quick dinner. Hands on time is probably like 45 minutes but a couple hours to cook.

You made your own pasta? Is it really worthwhile doing that?

I've never made it myself. Don't you have to use a special little rolling machine?

"Not yet another kitchen gadget!" I'd think before buying a packet of pasta from the shop instead.

You can roll a lot of pasta with just a pin.

Simple Prize-Winning Chili

1 ½ lbs. ground beef
2 (15 - 16 oz.) cans chili beans in chili sauce ( yes, already in sauce)
2 (15 - 16 oz.) cans chopped tomatoes
7 to 8 oz. diced green chilies ( several cans of “Old El Paso” green chilies for example are used to equal 7 to 8 oz.)
1 (16 oz.) can of tomato sauce
6 T. chili powder

½ t. each of:
cayenne pepper
cumin
garlic powder
oregano (Mexican Oregano is best. That is Lippia graveolens. I grow my own)
lemon pepper
black pepper (gourmet is best)

Brown the ground beef and add all ingredients together in a large pot. Simmer on low heat for several hours or use a “Crock Pot” for slow cooking. Although this chili is good to eat the day of cooking, Chili is best after ageing a day or two in the refrigerator and slowly reheating.

This simple chili uses NO onion and is Great! Naturally, most cooks like to alter chili recipes to their tastes so feel free to adjust the ingredients as you like but try this one. Most people like it as is.

Simple Prize-Winning Chili

1 ½ lbs. ground beef
2 (15 - 16 oz.) cans chili beans in chili sauce ( yes, already in sauce)
2 (15 - 16 oz.) cans chopped tomatoes
7 to 8 oz. diced green chilies ( several cans of “Old El Paso” green chilies for example are used to equal 7 to 8 oz.)
1 (16 oz.) can of tomato sauce
6 T. chili powder

½ t. each of:
cayenne pepper
cumin
garlic powder
oregano (Mexican Oregano is best. That is Lippia graveolens. I grow my own)
lemon pepper
black pepper (gourmet is best)

Brown the ground beef and add all ingredients together in a large pot. Simmer on low heat for several hours or use a “Crock Pot” for slow cooking. Although this chili is good to eat the day of cooking, Chili is best after ageing a day or two in the refrigerator and slowly reheating.

This simple chili uses NO onion and is Great! Naturally, most cooks like to alter chili recipes to their tastes so feel free to adjust the ingredients as you like but try this one. Most people like it as is.

Is browning the beef necessary if it'll be in a crockpot for 8~ hours?

Is browning the beef necessary if it'll be in a crockpot for 8~ hours?
I always brown the beef and add a little of the spices to blend into the meat and basically Brown it for color but it is not necessary to Brown the Beef if you prefer to have it cook in the Crock Pot.
It is really a matter of preference.

Anyone into Soups? Yes, they tend to require more time and preparation but if done well, they are worth the effort :)
Here is my recipe for a surprisingly Good Soup.
...for lack of another name, I simply call it Black Olive and Mushroom Soup.

Black Olive and Mushroom Soup

1 lb. Hamburger
1 tsp. Basil
1 tsp. Lawry’s Season Salt
2 tsp. Parsley
3 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 medium size Onion
8 to 9 cups of water
1 can (13.25 oz.) sliced Mushrooms
10 Tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Wyler’s Chicken Bouilion Cubes
½ cup Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Good Red Wine (Alcohol totally cooks out, naturally)
½ Large Green Bell Pepper
3 Sticks of Celery
2 medium Jalapeno Peppers
1 can (15.75 oz.) Large Ripe Whole Pitted Black Olives
1 can (15.5 oz.) Great Northern Beans
1 tsp Whole Black Pepper
½ tsp Garlic Powder
2 Tbs. Dry Rice
1 cup Dry Pasta (Elbow Macaroni is my personal preference)
________________________________________________________________________________________________
Using a Deep Frying Pan, saute 1 can sliced Mushrooms (drained) in 1 Tbs Olive Oil and 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce. Add 5 more Tbs Olive Oil as Mushrooms become Golden Brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. (Note that it is not necessary to have all Mushrooms Browned and the reason for adding the extra Olive Oil as the Mushrooms become Browned is to prevent splattering). Place Mushrooms and Oil into Large Soup Pot, about an 8-quart size with lid.

Using the same Frying Pan as you used to saute the Mushrooms, add 4 Tbs Olive Oil then add 1 lb Hamburger. Add 1 tsp Basil, 1 tsp Lawry’s Season salt, 2 tsp Parsley, 2 Tbs Worcestershire Sauce and ½ medium Onion (Fine Chopped to about 1/4th inch) Allow Hamburger to brown and break apart with fork into large chunks (about Tbs size) as it cooks. Start heat on Medium High and when Meat is Browned, reduce heat to Medium/Low and cook until Onion is no longer white. Temporarily Set aside.

Add 8 cups of water and 2 chicken Bouilion cubes to the Large Soup Pot. Bring to a Boil, reduce heat to Low and add all of the previously cooked Hamburger mixture to the Pot.

Place all into the Large Soup Pot: The other ½ raw Onion (medium size dices), ½ Bell Pepper (medium size dices) and 3 sticks of Celery (medium size dices), 2 medium Jalapeno Peppers (fine dices), 1 can drained and sliced Large Ripe Olives (slice each Olive into 4 long segments), 1 can drained and rinsed Great Northern Bean, 2 Tbs Dry Rice, 1 tsp whole Black Pepper ( Coarse Grind “crush” the pepper), ½ tsp Garlic Powder and ½ cup Cabernet Sauvignon or Good red wine (If Wine is not desired, omit it and adjust with Water but the Alcohol completely cooks out and the Wine adds special flavor). Cover and simmer 2 hours, stir lightly occasionally but try not to pulverize the beans so they will hold their shape. Add Dry Pasta to the amount of soup you want to eat. If all Dry Pasta is added and the soup is saved then reheated at another time, the Pasta will be mushy. This is the reason to add an estimated small amount of the pasta only to the amount of soup that will be eaten at the time.

Note: Add more water as needed. The soup should have about 1/3rd liquid when finished. IF needed or wanted, add more Lawry’s Season Salt as desired.
Enjoy with your Favorite Room temperature Cheese and Homemade Bread.

Focaccia Bread ... fast and easy to make :)

1 1/4 c. warm water
3 to 3 ½ c. flour
1T yeast
½ t. salt
1 t. sugar
1 T. olive oil

Mix 1/4 c. warm water with yeast and add a little flour and sugar (about 1/2 t. each)
Add above ingredients to form a soft dough with the activated yeast.
Let rise until double in size, then roll out to 3/4 inch thickness. NOTE: Two loaves rolled out to 3/4 inch thickness, in a sort for rectangular “bread loaf shape” is Great.

NOTE: Use a flat baking sheet for these loaves.

Press 1/4 inch dimples into the tops of the loaves (thumb works well). These dimples are about 1 inch apart all over the tops of the loaves and will spring back slightly.
Brush with more olive oil (enough to cover the loaves) NOTE: some olive oil will puddle in the dimples slightly and is desirable.
Mix: 1 T. crushed rosemary, ½ t. salt, 1/4 to ½ t. garlic powder and 2 T. grated parmesan then sprinkle this mix on the tops of the loaves.

Let the loaves rise until about double (30 minutes).

Preheat oven to 500 degrees and bake the loaves for 10 minutes

Although especially good with Greek and Italian dishes, this bread is Great with soups, stews, salads, cheeses and wines or any time a wonderful Italian bread is desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom