Whacha Cookin' Tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shallots are great because they have a more mild flavor so I can use them raw or partially cooked. And while they are more expensive than onions or garlic they are hardly a costly luxury item.

May I add on shallots: as I live alone, I would have to consume an onion very quickly or regularly waste a lot of it. Shallots solve that easily.

Depends.. If they're raw they taste very different from raw onion imo. Less harsh, less biting, less hot, more sweetness. If they're cooked in a sauce for hours.. I doubt you'd taste any difference.

Apropos shallots.. Recently made this beautiful delicious Pho!

ingredients for soup: an entire chicken, roasted spices: star anise, cinnamon, coriander seeds. charred ginger, charred shallots. lots and lots of rice noodles!

soup was made with: pickled shallot, steamed bok choy. fresh coriander, fresh mint leaves, topped with pulled chicken and crispy chicken skin.

one of my favorite vietnamese dishes, takes 3+ hours to prepare, but definitely worth it :)

We're off to my favorite restaurant, Kayla'a, for lunch today. :thumbsup:
The owner has been talking up his new rib & chicken platter, so I will try that.
I'm sure it will be filling, so for dinner, I will bring home only a quesadilla and a twice-baked potato.
For breakfast, I will bring home huevos rancheros.

A 3 pound bag of yellow onions is $1.69 at my store. Shallots are sold not prepackaged at $3.99 a pound. It's like 700% more to buy shallots. While not breaking the bank, that's a huge difference.

Last night was tea-brined roast duck, wild-rice mushroom risotto, and smashed cucumber salad.

The risotto wasn’t ideal. Wild rice isn’t the right grain for it. Still tasty though.

Orange-sage pork from a few days ago:

Homemade gyros. Banging.

Snerk shows up like "is there any banging left?"

Here's the recipe. It assumes you have a heavy skillet to use as the fryer. Cast iron is best.

Bottle Caps

3 fresh jalapeno peppers sliced into rings
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon paprika
salt and pepper to taste
2 large eggs
4 ounces light beer
2 to 3 cups peanut oil enough to cover the battered jalapeno peppers

Heat the oil in a large pan to medium heat. Do not let it boil.
In a large bowl, mix flour, garlic, paprika, S&P. Mix well.
Beat eggs into a batter.
Stir in the beer.
Dry sliced jalapenos with paper towels.
In batches, coat the sliced peppers in the batter and fry til golden, about 5-6 minutes.
Drain on paper towels and serve.

J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom