What’s better than a hyperdrive for intergalactic travel?

Maximum7

Chieftain
I’m trying to write a Star Wars story about someone who figures out a way to travel FTL between galaxies. Hyperspace doesn’t work in the Intergalactic Void, and there is a hyperspace disturbance at the edge of the galaxy blocking travel anyway. I was trying to think of an alternative method of traveling the distance. This drive I envision could ONLY be used in the intergalactic void (so it can’t replace hyperdrive). It allows travel through the void very quickly but NOT instantaneously and there is a weird quantum glitch where the inhabitants of the ship need to wait 2 hours before piercing the veil of another galaxy or weird quantum things could happen to their ship.

Anyway I originally thought of a superfluid vacuum drive but I did a lot of research and it’s unlikely the universe is a superfluid. I know Star Wars science is soft as a marshmallow but I want some fake science that sounds realistic. Can anyone help me?
Somebody suggested a drive that creates a field that alters the laws of physics to make c go as fast as you want. I like this idea. I was going to call it the Altiverse drive (per suggestion) but Altiverse is the name of a sci fi game.

What’s a good name for a drive that changes physics?

Wormholes already exist in Star Wars.

How about an anti-gravity drive? It's a drive that slips you into a somewhat sideways dimension, but requires a relative amount of gravity behind your direction of travel while being mostly gravity-free in front of you. This would mean that you need to be right at the edge of your galaxy to make use of it. It would then take you anywhere in the universe in 2 hours (since travel through it is not correlated with travel through our dimensions) but the amount of energy required to re-enter is proportionate to your mass * the distance traveled. In other words, ships can't go very far, even if they have big engines, unless you include some type of scalar effects.

Top Bottom