What’s Going on With Teens?

GoodEnoughForMe

n.m.s.s.
tw: suicide.

I didn’t really want to put that word in the title, so I apologize for the “kids these days” sound, but you have fallen for my clickbait!

But that’s part of what I would like to discuss! Everyone has heard about the suicide epidemic and how rates of suicide are sharply rising for both adults and teens. This is very true. In the last 15 years, the per 100k rate of suicide for teens has almost doubled.

But what you might not know is even with that doubling, the current rate is below modern highs. And that’s because starting in 1994, teen suicide rates started to - what can only be described as - plummet at incredibly, miraculously quick rates. By 2006, just 12 years later, and back down near their modern low, they had dropped from around 11 per 100k to around 5. That is a startling change. The current rise started from that near record low in 2006.

B0F30CD6-09A4-420A-A3D6-12612D506908.jpeg

There is a quickly growing attempt to figure out the modern rise in rates; smartphones, fentanyl, social isolation, student debt, cost of living, global warming and more have all been either proposed or more seriously looked at as mechanisms.

I’m open to discussions on that question, but the second question is one with, way, way less research. And that is; what caused that sharp decline? For this I’ve seen stuff from “sweet spot of having video games but having to play multiplayer locally and in person as opposed to online” to a study that showed that after Cobain’s suicide, suicides in King County the following year sharply declined (we usually see the opposite effect after celebrity suicide). But to say that there are way less satisfying answers here would be an understatement.

It’s also worth noting that teen girls’ suicide is now at record highs beyond the historical “norm” and I am open to discussion there too.

Your thoughts and any data you might have would be appreciated!

Looks like a boomer low, X high, Millennial low, Z high waveform

Is that an America specific trend or does it look similar in other countries?

Sweet spot. But not video games. Internet before and after Facebook. Before, more people you can reach out to on discussion boards. After, "your life's not as good as mine." Plus cyberbullying.

as one of those millennials I can only speak for myself: I don't think the incentive to try and "fit in" was as strong as it might have been in previous years, and certainly in later years, that not doing so would lead to suicidal thoughts.

- before my time, I guess everyone had to fit into one of those cliques that you saw in all those teen comedies and John Hughes movies of the day. That's just my perception of history at least.
- in my time, I think those cliques were still there, but did not particularly care if you were not a part of them. it was them vs. the world, not them vs. all these other cliques. I think more teens were content about living in their own little world and feeling shut out somehow. Meh, hard to explain: it was sort-of okay to be a "rebel" and "weird" and no one (no other teens) really cared. We certainly had plenty of distractions to keep us occupied (advents on grunge music or gangsta music, cable and satellite TV blowing up, PC gaming and home consoles, sports revolving around hangouts associated with skateboarding and biking, message boards like this one (!!!), etc., from my observation)
- after my time, I would not blame anything other than cyber bullying where the effect of social media has been the complete opposite of what everyone thought would happen: celebration of individuality and not social conformity through mob-ocracy (which it now is).

Is that an America specific trend or does it look similar in other countries?

UK statistics are almost identical to the US in their shape over the decades, it’s uncanny. Australia bottomed out a bit later and the shape wasn’t as severe, but effectively they peaked in 1967, declined a bit then rose again and peaked in the mid 80s, then were going down steadily through 90s and 2000s and after bottoming out around 2010 to record lows, have now gone up significantly, especially among girls too.

A generational component like that could make some sense as at least a contributory factor, although it obviously begs the question of how it started (everyone online says lead).

Last edited:
Maybe the sharp fall from mid90s to early 2000s is due to the internet becoming a thing and forums allowing for at least discussing about it (specialized forums, obviously). Not only for positive reasons, mind.

That said, even (roughly) 20/100.000 is a very small number= 1 in 5.000. Sounds very plausible and not extreme; suicidal ideation is real for a multiple of that, of course.

There is a quickly growing attempt to figure out the modern rise in rates; smartphones, fentanyl, social isolation, student debt, cost of living, global warming and more have all been either proposed or more seriously looked at as mechanisms.

I’m open to discussions on that question, but the second question is one with, way, way less research. And that is; what caused that sharp decline? For this I’ve seen stuff from “sweet spot of having video games but having to play multiplayer locally and in person as opposed to online” to a study that showed that after Cobain’s suicide, suicides in King County the following year sharply declined (we usually see the opposite effect after celebrity suicide). But to say that there are way less satisfying answers here would be an understatement.

It’s also worth noting that teen girls’ suicide is now at record highs beyond the historical “norm” and I am open to discussion there too.

Your thoughts and any data you might have would be appreciated!

The right wing has taken a stab at explaining the recent rise in depression the last decade which might be fueling the rise in suicides.

Trying to glean insight by focusing on political worldviews? :hmm:

Something definitely happened starting back in 2011.

Common core learning?
One of the social media things got big?
???

Teen girls hit hardest whatever it was/is ya.

I have no idea why things got so much better in the late 90s.
Great that it happened!

Last edited:
The right wing has taken a stab at explaining the recent rise in depression the last decade which might be fueling the rise in suicides.

Well, I very fast read the article; it seems clear to me that there is no scientific concensus.

My own view is that conservatives have fewer expectations of the world and are therefore less dissappointed.

There’s clearly a connection with 1990-2000 economic boom and subsequent tech propagation. That was one hell of a tech revolution. It is unclear, which country is in the chart of the OP, by the way. I assume it is some English-speaking country. Economic blossom of the nineties came with a price of having to introduce hard fiscal measures during hangover era of early 2000s. Among other economic troubles, the world has been struck with inflation again, after 2009, when interest rates were driven to 0 and stayed there for a decade, eroding economic value from the common hands and placing it, gradually, into the hands of the most wealthy beneficiaries of cheap money era. Perhaps, that’s what we see in 2009-present section of the chart?

Lot of distractions, not a lot of hope or optimism. Grownups not dealing w climate change, I'd be anxious too (and I am anxious for my children)

Something definitely happened starting back in 2011.
One of the social media things got big?
Teen girls hit hardest whatever it was/is ya.
Didn't Twitter start getting really popular then? That would fit.

Yes, depression only exists because of social media, and not because of the state of the world.

Though I gotta say, assuming it's the tech them kids are using instead of what they're having to to through is a tried and tested argument.

Boomers had one of the greatest economic runs in history during their teen years.

Generation X was subject (if they had blue collar parents) to offshoring of jobs from the United States in their teens.

Millennials were mostly the product of white collar workers who chose to have children later and thus were financially better adapted to the new economy in their teen years.

Generation Z is having to contend with the shaky economic conditions and deregulation since the last recession while having to deal with what's essentially a fourth industrial revolution (social media, AI; photography, music, and art related professions becoming obsolete, etc.)

I would also say that the teen years are always the hardest and most difficult years in one's life, especially since you feel like an adult but aren't, want to do things but can't, and are subject to the economic whims of ones parents yet feel like one needs material things in order to socially fit in and relate with one's age group especially those who have parents who are far better off then yours. This creates over time a sort of natural segregation where as one moves into adulthood you tend to settle down and only relate/have friends with those of your own socioeconomic class, but as a teen you're forced to only be with those of your hometown or more specifically your school. So if you come from blue-collar stock but in a town that's demographically changing and becoming increasingly white collar it can be rough. I imagine with adulthood and thus personal mobility social anxiety and thus suicidal thoughts decrease as one can move to a workplace/town that has one's "own kind of people" from which to fit in and become part of a tribe.

The recent increase of girls commiting suicide at all time highs is probably because of the fear of creative professions being eliminated as females tend to be more artistically inclined. Social media is likely designed to mess with the female brain more than men because as you should know social media sites like Facebook were invented by Zuckerberg to rate women in college and pressure them into having sex with the tech bois.

We can only speculate.

Asking teens what's troubling them will only get anecdotes or "nothing".

Only wild guessing and pet theories can carry this thread forward.

They've been told all their lives the world is doomed.
Healthcare, housing, and education will be out of reach.
One mistake and you're toast.
Etc.

I know being walked to the school bus each day and the constant school shootings give no peace of mind.

Last edited:
Also to a certain extent most of the people here (being still alive) honestly have not killed themselves. I'm not sure if suicidal thoughts were ever a thing that anyone here ever experienced in one's teens, and it's a bit of a private matter so I wouldn't expect people on a public forum to be so open and forthcoming of their experiences.

It's sort of like asking the victors of history about what actually happened in the past without interviewing the victims. As is often the case this leads to past historical analysis being somewhat whitewashed compared to how it actually was, with the defeated being sparse in number (if they even survived) making interviews much more difficult from the other perspective.

Top Bottom