1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What 10 Civilizations will be in Beyond the Sword?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Head Serf, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monado

Monado King

Speak for yourself.

I am still hoping that the remainingCiv3 Conquest civs are included:
    -Byzantines
    -Sumerians
    -Hittites

After that I could care less who is included. But in no way would Israel's inclusion be a tribute to me though.

2. WingedPaladin

WingedPaladin He Keiki o Akua

The "Polynesian" sighs...:shake:

3. flyingchicken

flyingchicken Deity

@WingedPaladin
    Interesting. The "salad bowl" culture theory is much better than the "melting pot," but seems less likely if you go several generations forward. :(

On a lighter note: "Polynesian" would be what Firaxis will call you guys if you get included if they're going to call the Sioux "Native American." So many ifs. Also, I am flattered with what you said about Filipinos in your last long post. :p Hm, Spam sushi. Interesting...

4. WingedPaladin

WingedPaladin He Keiki o Akua

Hehe, I hadn't thought of it as "salad bowl" before.. well maybe fruit salad. We often call it "chop suey" after the Chinese dish with lots of ingredients mixed in. We also have here what we call the "poi dog" also known as mutt or mixed breed and locals with many heritages sometimes refer to themselves as such.

The lack of world cultural awareness continues. Indeed.

Well, I happened to marry someone who is nearly half Filipino, not because he is Filipino, but because he is very loving, kind, and giving to others. Filipinos have well earned the reputation they have here of being hard working and talented.

5. TobyWanKenobi

TobyWanKenobi Chieftain

1Babylon
    2Netherlands
    3Portugal
    4Maya
    5Native Americans

6Khymer/Thai (IGN Screenshot)
    7Sumerian/Israel/Hittite (IGN Screenshot)
    8Byzantine (IGN Screenshot)

9 Polynesian?
    10 Ethiopian?

I am having a feeling that Australia is a maybe though...instead of Polynesia...sorry!

6. TobyWanKenobi

TobyWanKenobi Chieftain

Here are new units?

What Civs do they represent?
    Elephants-Khymer/Thai?
    Archers-Babylon
    Warriors-Sumeria/Israel/Hittite?
    Horsemen-Byzantine?
    :eek:

7. Titus001

Titus001 Warlord

I would rather have the ancient hebrews or israel over the roman clone byzantines=eastern roman empire-or what was left of it....

8. Pratputajao

Pratputajao Warlord

Certaintly doesnt look like any Khmer/thai elephant unit I know of? Not sure on the others... SE asian gonna be skipped again I am affraid. (not just based on this screen)

9. necrolyte

necrolyte Warlord

Just something of note, race has been recognized by almost all serious anthropologists, sociologists and biologists today as nothing more than a social construct. That the West is dominant in civ is a product in part of the target market, the cultural influences of the producers, and a cultural bias towards the "West". European political bodies were disproportionately influential after the Napoleonic era, however before that, its impossible to argue that Europe had any "special" place in the world, and even after that, China and India continued to dominate the global economy for some time (even as India was getting gobbled up), their political unity merely just managed to break apart.

On mormonism, it would be a silly religion to add, first because it tries to claim it was a part of Christianity, second because it was overtly racist as dogma until 30 years ago (mind you most Hindus won't accept non-Indians, however I've never seen them claim that non-Indians are somehow cursed by god), and third because while it numbers in the millions, its still well below the number of people who follow Sikhism or Shinto or possibly West African and Diasporic religious systems.

Being discovered with the printing press is a bad idea because it was discovered some 400 years before Smith claimed to have his revelations or Brigham Young moved west (unless it was secretly discovered in the middle of Germany during the 1450s.) Sikhism could be discovered with Liberalism, Constitution or Democracy. Not sure where Shinto would be discovered-it would probably be contemporaneous to Islam, possibly feudalism? Voodu and Rastafari would be an interesting one too, as a "well beyond the sword" faith, though one is far from a well organized faith and the other is fairly small.

10. flyingchicken

flyingchicken Deity

No new faiths! We already have corporations. :D

Race is a construct! Otherwise so-called "interbreeds" are impossible.

The Byzantines are not a clone of Rome! They are more Eastern Hellenistic than anything else, simply having political ties to the Roman Empire.

11. Titus001

Titus001 Warlord

Byzantines=Eastern Roman empire

12. Titus001

Titus001 Warlord

So i guess since you think the western side fell in 476AD that the roman civilization just fell off the map so to speak? When infact the eastern empire was around for another 1,000 years or so?

13. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

100 % agreed. There completely wasting there time putting in the Byzantines.

While!!!!

SE Asia
    Africa
    South America
    Oceana
    Eastern Europe (don't say greece)

Completely get's ignored.

I wouldn't die if Hittites get in.
    I don't mind Oceania getting ignored again.
    But i really want something from SE Asia which is likely the case
    I also want something from Africa, The Ethiopians which have a good chance.
    South America obviously gets ignored again.
    Eastern Europe has to have Austria and Poland. No matter what. Russia covers 1 of the major areas of Eastern Europe. Poland And Austria deserve to be in instead of the Byzantines.

Civ really needs someone else from Eastern Europe. Not adding to Middle East. (other then Babylon which should and is in)

It's my views, and i know many people agree with the part about SE Asia and Eastern Europe.

Oh yes and how different were the Byzantines and the Romans/East Roman empire?

14. 09camaro

09camaro Rules 1 + 2!!

man... imma soosa losta! meese needsa to pays more attentions

15. Titus001

Titus001 Warlord

Good documentary on byzantium. I would fast forward to 35 mins into the documentary where he explains rome and the so called fall....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4160855843115464701&q=byzantium

16. timthetoolman70

timthetoolman70 Chieftain

A new unit for England will be the 'soccer hooligan' and you will be able to build them once you discover 'multiculturalism'

17. Leodavinci

Leodavinci Great Merchant

My heart wants small, proud and heroic Lithuanians added:)
    But I know they were not the world power, so at least one of those Lithuanian kings (and generals) like Mindaugas (united Lithuanians), Gediminas (conquered Kiyv, prechristian baltic religion in his heart and soul), Vytautas the Great (won the battle of Tannenberg, completely destroying Teuton order hand in hand with his brother Jogailo, king of Poland) could be added to Great General list.
    Jogailo would make a good leader for Poland (if it enters as civilization) as well:)

18. LDeska

LDeska LDeska

Or even a leader of Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth :) but it's not possible as it was not a unitary state until Constitution of 3rd May 1791, shortly before our common state was torn in pieces...

I'm interested in this part
    - technicly it's totally true, only it's suggesting that it was mainly Vytautas (we call him Witold) who won that battle (we call it Battle of Grunwald 1410)? The commander was his brother (we call him Władysław Jagiełło, King of Poland). From what I know Lithuanian forces were numerous, but lightly armed and backbone of the army was the Polish heavy cavalry. There was also a lot of soldiers from the areas of today Belarus, Ukraine and Tatars who served Polish King. I found a quote from Britannica: http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9001929/Battle-of-Tannenberg

Great times :)
    In Poland we consider those times (and next two centuries) as our Golden Age. We achieved most when we cooperated, luckily it's happening again, this time inside different union (then it was Lublin Union, now it's EU).

Each nation not represented in civ4 would like to be added. Maybe it would be good to add 'custom civ'? But how to cope with UU, UB, traits etc? You can't simply let players to choose them as some of combos would be so unbalanced, like the most obvious phi+ind.

19. flyingchicken

flyingchicken Deity

@Titus001
    They were officially Roman, yes! Culturally speaking, they were Hellenistic with a Christian blend, very much quite different from the Romans. In the history textbooks, "Roman civilization" branched into and was succeeded by three parts: Byzantine (unrepresented--Eastern Hellenistic + Christian), Islamic (Arabia--Islamic + Middle Eastern), and Medieval (European Civs -- Christian + Germanic).

Romans were more Hellenic than Hellenistic, then they were succeeded by Christian-influenced cultures.

20. marioflag

marioflag History Addict

Byzantine have been officially added to BtS from the preview on Eurogamer.Its leader is Justinian!
    Gilgamesh of the Sumerian is also added!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.