1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What a difference a few mod tweaks can make

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Stalker0, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

So like many others I've been frustrated by how slow the game is as far as building units and buildings goes. Generally I just haven't liked how slow the early game is.

So I made the following mods:

1) Buildings and Units build 20% faster.
    2) The amount of influence needed to get a new piece of land increases 10% slower.
    3) The amount of influence needed to get social policies increases 5% slower.

I tried this out on a tiny map king difficulty with standard speed, and wow what a difference. At turn 100 I have 4 cities, my two neighbors each have 3...and there all 3 of us have large armies attacking Tyre at Geneva's request.

Borders are increasing so many workers stay busy, I've actually gotten to build all the key buildings I wanted in my capital, so now I'm back to units.

I don't know if I will stick with this particular numbers, but the game does feel so much better paced

2. Newcomer24

Newcomer24 Warlord

In my opinion it's early for balance mods... we still know too little about the game and are too used to Civ4 gameplay.
    The game has been in development for quite some time and I'm sure the current numbers and balance didn't get in the game from a day to the other but there was a lot of thought behind them.

Personally, before doing any tweak to the gameplay, I would wait for the first big patch and see what type of changes they do (if any), better to wait for the big picture to come up before taking any direction, that's just my thought by the way...

3. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

I agree that when Firaxis patches the game I'll take out my mods and try their version.

But right now a lot of people (including me) think the early games just a bit too slow. I found this small tweak really helped a lot.

4. Venereus

Venereus This Is Streamlined!

I'd take a mod over Firaxis's testing at this point.

5. rschissler

rschissler King

I've thought about doing the some of the same thing, lowering building and unit cost and maintenance. I think this would help make the game more enjoyable, which is what I'm after. Just because the game is winnable in it's current state, doesn't make it fun.

I think the only thing Firaxis and 2K care about right now are fixing bugs. Time will tell whether they really care about improving the game.