What a Long Strange Trip It's Been (Nostlgia)

Civ 1, the best one, ....... and pretty much all the titles except Colonization. Pretty much each SID title since '80.

I also appreciated Alpha Centauri.

I'm a Civ newbie. I just found out about Civ maybe a year and a half ago. So me, it's:

Civ 4 Vanilla
Civ 4 BTS
Civ 4 Col.

I have some mixed emotions with Civ 5 coming out as I feel I didn't master Civ 4 the way I wanted to. I pretty much dominate Monarch level.

I will switch to Civ 5 and try and master the game, although I will play a few Civ 4 games as well.

You kids... ;)

My Civ1 pc was a 286 @ 12.5 mhz, 1mb mem, 20 mb Hd. 1x 3.5 floppy & 1x5.25 floppy

Geez, I would have been playing it on my C64 if it would have run, I was still playing Pools of Radiance on it. It was a rougher time - we do well with our gripes about digital distribution nowadays. At least I'm not wasting 30 minutes loading a tape only to find something didn't load right or typing in pages of code you can't save anymore or having to swap between 5.25 disks (I think Darklands had 14 disks, but that was PC). Me and my 300 baud modem and a massive phone bill and a C64, that was my 80s teendom before Civ.
I played Civ1 at a friends house until 5am and only left when he gave me a set of disks with the (dos version) game. Spies could flip cities with cash and was my favorite way to win the game, glitching rails across the sea.

Civ I on the Amiga. Fast forward about 12 years, a burst of nostalgia hit and I downloaded Civ III. Haven't looked back since then.

So:

Civ I
Civ III
Civ IV, Warlords & BTS

Civ3 + All expansions. First game ive ever played
Civ4+ All expansions
Civ4 Col
Civ5 (soon)

yeeeeep " grannies " I told you Ms. Daisy !

We are still surfacing the wave my friends !! ...just let me adjust my catheter, I'll back within 5 mins

Same as Dale, plus CivNet :p

Which is weird because I'm not a heavy player, I seem to be more interested in the modding side of it, CivII opened that world to me. :D

I remember many late nights playing Civ on my Amiga 500.

Those are some of my greatest memories (might be sad, I don't mind hehe). Me and a buddy exploring Civilization 1 not sure what the hell we were doing, but having an absolute blast of a good time! On an A1200 though, but with the AGA version, it became even prettier :)

Anyone else remember playing Civ II Fantastic Worlds? I thought that was the coolest thing ever, especially the Mars and Jules Verne scenarios. I think I spent whole years of my life playing Civ II.

Those are some of my greatest memories (might be sad, I don't mind hehe). Me and a buddy exploring Civilization 1 not sure what the hell we were doing, but having an absolute blast of a good time! On an A1200 though, but with the AGA version, it became even prettier :)

You want to hear something stupid? On my first game (CivI), I only had one city and I mined every hill on my land - thinking I was benefiting from it, on top of that, I remained in the stone age and was defeated by tanks that came out of no where. I'll never forget that. :crazyeye:

Civ 2 was my favorite, especially for the World War 2 scenario and the nuclear war scenario in CIV 2 MGE, as well as some of the other scenarios like XCOM. If they had Civ 2 on steam I would buy it tommorrow. Lost the CD for it a way back during a move.

Civ 3, I missed the lack of options for improving your tiles. I've always liked improving my cities as much as possible, and 3 threw that away. But for massive wars, Civ 3 was cool.

Civ 4 got me back into the Civ series, although I think Civ 2 will always be my favorite unless Civ 5 blows me away, because Civ 2 was so much fun. I think I played the WW2 scenario a thousand times.

I also have played SMAC, enjoyed it, and tried out CtP2.

Civ 1 on 486 DX2-66 (The 386 chip was also the first one I worked on at Intel)
Civ Net
Civ 2
Civ 2 Fantastic Worlds (which I hardly played but just found the disk the other day)
SMAC and Crossfire
Civ 3 and expansions
Civ 4 and expansions.

Civ1.
Colonization.
Civ2 (Fantastic Worlds)
Call to Power (dare I even mention this?)
Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri
Civ3 + Conquests.
Civ4 + BTS and Warlords.

You kids... ;)

My Civ1 pc was a 286 @ 12.5 mhz, 1mb mem, 20 mb Hd. 1x 3.5 floppy & 1x5.25 floppy

Pffft. I didn't say it was my FIRST computer, just the first one I played Civ1 on.

My first computer was an Atari 2600 circa '79. Then ended up with an Intellivision, till in '83 upgrading to the C64.

CivII is my first civ game. I couldn't read English then and I had to bought an dictionary to play the game..

Same as Dale, plus CivNet :p

Which is weird because I'm not a heavy player, I seem to be more interested in the modding side of it, CivII opened that world to me. :D
Heh, I actually started with CivNet (and missed CivI completely; but I'm also comparatively young on the boards here) -> CivII -> CtP -> SMAC/X -> CivIII -> CivIV.

Memories... especially of Fantastic Worlds in CivII. I missed freedom to mid/edit until I CivIV finally came. Though CtP and SMAC/X kept be busy in the meantime! :lol:

Cheers, LT.

Top Bottom