1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What a Long Strange Trip It's Been (Nostlgia)

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Brota, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Johnny Be

Johnny Be Warlord

:) I was a Spectrum guy... :lol:

You beat me by a few years. :lol:

God, I feel old :(

Get of my lawn!! :old:

2. Paragon

Paragon Chieftain

That is actually awesome :D

3. Charybdis

Charybdis Scion Doomgiver

I got hooked on Civ sneaking out of bed when visiting my grand-dad to watch my uncle play. I remember seeing him sacrafice a city as Rome to the Egyptians so he could take it back with his armor's coming up the railroads.

Eventually I got my own copy on an Amiga a couple years later, yeah Amiga.

4. CaesarCS

CaesarCS Chieftain

I've played every iteration. Though, I have to admit that the first Civ that I played was a pirated copy. :blush: I didn't know it it the time though, a friend just brought it over to me and loaded it on my computer.

Truth be told, after I found out, I didn't exactly take it off my computer either... It's the only game I've owned illegally. Eventually I bought a copy for my SNES.

5. Stuie

Stuie Laudir Agus Mir

I played this game called Incunabula back in the 80s. It was made by Avalon Hill and based loosely on their Civilization boardgame. When the first Civ was released, I thought it looked like a cool upgrade of the old Avalon Hill game, and bought a computer just so I could play it. So....

Incunabula
    Civ
    Civ2
    SMAC and Crossfire
    Civ 3 and expansions
    Civ 4 and expansions.

6. Maritova

Maritova Chieftain

I started with Civ 2 (I got it as a Christmas gift), then went on to enjoy SMAC, Civ 3, CTP I and II, and Civ 4. I loved the setting and story of SMAC so much, but in terms of sheer enjoyment, nothing has ever compared with the hours and hours I spent as a kid on Civ 2. I remember one of my best friends was also a Civ 2 fan, and we spent so much time planning out our strategies or designing scenarios we'd never actually put into action. There was one scenario we loved that was a sort of world war scenario, with one of the civs as the "Eastern Communist Bloc," but I can't remember what scenario it was.

7. silentknight111

silentknight111 Warlord

Civ - SNES
    Civ2 - PlayStation
    Civ3 - PC
    Civ4 + exp - PC
    CivRev - XBox360
    and soon.. Civ5

8. oktoberklub

oktoberklub Chieftain

Civilization (Amiga 500)
    CivNet (PC)
    Civilization IV with all expansions

I started at the age of four or five years with Civilization, probably not knowing what I was doing, but even as a little kid I got hooked by the idea of being the emperor of a nation. It was just awesomely addictive and mind-blowing, and it still is today. :)

9. zomg

zomg Chieftain

Same, didnt play #2 that much tho.

10. Grunthex

Grunthex Prince

I never did play CTP2. I was displeased by CTP1, and so never bought it, even though it was apparently a considerable step forward.

Everything else, I played, I devoured. From that first night of Civ, discovered because it was the only disk we found when hooking up a friend's computer after she moved. I never did sleep that night. Or many many thereafter.

Even in the heart of my "hey I can get games free, I'm cool" phase, I always bought the Civ titles, the expansions, everything.

There isn't a gaming series like it.

11. thungrim

thungrim Warlord

Civ1 - The game that got me into gaming
    Civ2
    Civ3 - "Lets pretend this never happened"\
    SMAC
    Civ4 - Or as I like to call it "Civ 3"

12. pedropavani

pedropavani Warlord

Civ 1
    Civ 2
    Civ 3
    Civ 4
    and there is no civilization after that XD

13. Brawndo

Brawndo Warlord

Sid Meier/Civ-like games in order of when I first played them:

1. Civ 3 - this Civ was my favorite in terms of art/graphical design
    2. SMAC - voice acting and great faction design made this game unbelievably imersive
    3. Civ 2 - just could not get into the gameplay, too retro for me
    4. Civ 4 - hundreds of hours of my life... gone forever
    5. Call to Power 2 - in ways it was better than the Civ series, but also more convoluted and annoying (hoards of invisible Slavers, Televangelists, and Lawyers got ridiculous)

14. TheMystic

TheMystic Warlord

Played since the original Civ. Literally all civs, all expansions, colonization, smac, call to power 1/2, etc. Loved them all, as well as the moo and mom games. They were actually one of the few reasons I enjoyed sick days from school. Even if I had to keep running to the bathroom to throw up I was still having fun just before/after.

It's so strange that Civ games have become such a big part of our lives. Hopefully those of us that live to see old age get to sit around telling old classic PC game / Civ stories one day. :)