What a Wonder-Full World

mechadamuramu

Chieftain
Has anyone ever tried to build all the wonders that are listed in Civ? I was thinking about trying that with a buddy in MP (I don't think its possible single player) with both of us playing Industrious civs. This would be a fun way to get a culture win, but it might happen faster than you'd like, i'm not sure.

Post your stories if you have tried this or helpful hints for me to try.

I haven't managed to build all of the wonders but I usually manage to get most of them. I think the important thing to do is get stone and marble hooked up early, with an industrious leader and then you have a chance. Basically the more resources you manage to hook up the better chance you have. If you can get copper, ivory, iron, gold, and whatever other resources allow for the +100% bonus I think you have a REALLY good chance.

Also, I think another key to succussfully doing this is to concentrate all of the production in 1 city. Probably has to be the capital and it needs to be production rich with a lot of trees to start with. Build 1 settler to expand, and then nothing but wonders. Let your 2nd city continue the expansion. If you use the capital to do the wonder production you can also get a huge boost from beauracracy (SP?).

I'm pretty sure someone undertook the challenge to build all the wonders while playing one of the higher levels, and I think he succeeded. I can't find the thread about it, though, just recalling what I read awhile back. It's certainly quite easy to do on lower to mid-levels.

It'd make a fun culture win, but it wouldn't be the most efficient way to do so.

I seen a game write-up where someone got all wonders on a rather high level (not sure if it was Emperor) in the Stories and Tales forum, but i cant find it right away...

Obsoletes walkthroughs are on Immortal and he usually takes most of the wonders... Maybe some of those had all - not sure... So if you want to try it his threads might be a good reference... I think this is the latest...
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=256896

Has anyone ever tried to build all the wonders that are listed in Civ? I was thinking about trying that with a buddy in MP (I don't think its possible single player) with both of us playing Industrious civs. This would be a fun way to get a culture win, but it might happen faster than you'd like, i'm not sure.

Post your stories if you have tried this or helpful hints for me to try.

I tried it in the RPC Bismark game. Missed some early ones so the Chancellor got bent out a shape and stole them from the offending AIs. Generally it is not the best way for a cultural win (there are many better) but it is great to try and build as many as you can in the capital and milk the Great Person Points in one place.

I think I've seen it done in one of the Realms Beyond challenges. I don't remember if it was a modded game at all, though. And, since I can't access Realms Beyond from work, I can't supply a link.

Cleo

Of course it's possible, but at what level?
I've heard you can do a oracle-> mass media slingshot at settler so I guess anything is really possible if you disregard difficulty.

There's been games I've lost on emperor bc I built a wonder instead of a settler or worker..

The best I've done was every Wonder up till Statue of Liberty then lost out on the Pentagon because I kept popping great spies and artists even though I had very low % on producing those GP. This was in an MP game so I don't know how you'd stack the difficulty. :p

Of course it's possible, I've done it. Okay it was a warlord level game.

I once managed to get all the early game wonders by mistake, and it was immortal! I was very lucky though, IMHO it is not possible without perfect start or with any ind leaders around.

I had own continent and connection to bigger pangea where every other civs were. IIRC there were at least Monty and Brennus, could have been more warmonger too, and they stirred up some nice action. Luckily there were peaceful civs between, so I was relatively safe. Could be that there were three warmongers and three peaceful civs, which meant three separate wars. IMHO this kind of semi-isolation is easiest situation for a builder game, you can expand optimum pace and tech-trading is still possible.

About wonders, IIRC I started with stone and built both Henge & GW while growing to happy cap. Second city (or border expansion, I'm not sure) claimed marble too. Mids and TGL followed after settler, but IIRC Oracle and Artemis were both built really late, maybe even ADs! When AIs were busy it was relatively easy to build a solid tech lead, cultural victory came before late game wonder were available to build though. :(

I think grabbing all the wonders is doable up to monarch level.

I never really try to get all the wonders, I just start building certain important ones and hope i get them. even if you don't, missed wonders are an easy source of cash

Top Bottom