• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

What about Dark Ages?

epicivfreak

Prince
We're already accumulating Happiness to trigger Golden Ages, so why not accumulate Unhappiness to trigger Dark Ages?
The bigger question is what a dark age actually does in Civ 5?

Currently the are no dark ages, but if they were, they could do just opposite of golden ages, so penalty to culture and gold.

increased maintenance (unsure of specifics) and -20% to culture and science
that said I'm not sure it's a good idea in general. And how would it interact with golden age points?

For this to be a compelling mechanic I think you'd need to have a pretty deep redesign of what Golden Age points are/do. I don't think the game needs another "-%% modifier while you're losing the game".

But if a Dark Age was something like:

-20% Culture, -20% Science
+20% Production, +20% Faith

then you might have an incentive to trigger one. Again, you'd need a pretty deep redesign of how happiness translates to Golden/Dark Age points.

Aren't golden age points collected off of net happiness?

How frequently do you have net unhappiness?

Here's my take on what an event might look like to capture this:

Event Title: "Is this a Dark Age?"
Event Description: "Unhappiness afflicts your people. How should we deal with the threat of an unruly populace?"
Trigger conditions: While empire is Unhappy.
Options:
  1. "This is truly a Dark Age. Only our faith can save us!"
    • Faith and Production in all cities increased by 20% for 10 turns [scaling with game speed].
    • Unhappiness due to Illiteracy and Boredom in all cities reduced by 1 for 10 turns [scaling with game speed].
    • Culture and Science in all cities reduced by 20% for 10 turns [scaling with game speed].
  2. "Our people will see the light. We need only press onward."
    • No bonuses or penalties.

It's fairly simplistic, but it captures a few key parts: you get a happiness release valve in the form of needs reductions; you get a production boost to catch up on buildings, if you feel like you need it; it's a thematic reorganization of yields, trading the "long-term" science and culture progression for a boost to faith and buildings/units; and you get a chance to opt out, so you can just ride out the Unhappiness as normal if you prefer.

There's space for alternative options based on Policies, Buildings, Techs, but I'd leave that out of any initial ideation for now.

Last edited:
Currently the are no dark ages, but if they were, they could do just opposite of golden ages, so penalty to culture and gold.
Being unhappy used to apply global yield penalty modifiers. People disagreed with that very much due to how it applied a positive feedback loop of preventing you from getting in the happy stage. Dark Ages would just be a worse mechanic.

The only reason Civ 6 had Dark Ages was so you can go into a "Heroic Age" (stronger Golden Ages) essentially.

Isn't a dark age just whenever you're not in a golden age?
then civ 6 wouldn't have a "normal age"
Dark Ages are oh your civ didn't do that much in the era it was in so now your next era is "dark age" as you rushed to it

Aren't golden age points collected off of net happiness?

very often when building a wide empire

1. "This is truly a Dark Age. Only our faith can save us!"
    • Faith and Production in all cities increased by 20% for 10 turns [scaling with game speed].
    • Unhappiness due to Illiteracy and Boredom in all cities reduced by 1 for 10 turns [scaling with game speed].
    • Culture and Science in all cities reduced by 20% for 10 turns [scaling with game speed].
This is cool. I like this. tho it might need to be -2 to illiteracy and boredom, since the -20% might add a good chunk to those penalties

If you mean below 50% ... very often, during drawn out wars I can be near revolt limit for 50 turns and below 50% atleast 100 turns in a game often more (this on epic speed).
Wide, wars and conquered cities make happiness go down the drain.

Well I'll say this. I do play a large part of the game with very low happiness. It's my particular playstyle to take this penalty in order to over expand and prepare myself for a future boom in economy and happiness infrastructure. I've played games where I was getting close to 30% happiness. I like that this mod allows you to go negative without it completely ending the game.

I feel like a further penalty of a "Dark Age" would make you say oops, well now I'm screwed. Restart.

Well I'll say this. I do play a large part of the game with very low happiness. It's my particular playstyle to take this penalty in order to over expand and prepare myself for a future boom in economy and happiness infrastructure. I've played games where I was getting close to 30% happiness. I like that this mod allows you to go negative without it completely ending the game.

I feel like a further penalty of a "Dark Age" would make you say oops, well now I'm screwed. Restart.
yes. this is part of why I like the idea ma kuh proposed. It works very nicely with this overexpansion strat. You get a penalty to science and culture, which is fitting since expansion is bad for culture and science in the short term with the increased costs, but then you also get a bonus to help you build that infrastructure.

I suppose I accept the argument that if there's a "golden age" with yield multipliers, there could equally be a "dark age" with divisors.

But I'm not in love. I don't think the mechanisms exist in civ to represent this well. It would be far more interesting to me if someone adapted health and plague mod to VP, and a sort of dark age could be experienced if enough calamities all combined to diminish yields and kill off population, without declaring a flat dark age

Last edited:
The AI is always happy and my people are always sad no matter what I do, and I just play on King mode. I think Dark Ages would just be frustrating.

It does matter what you do. I had plenty of happiness my last game on King as Poland.
The happiness buildings tend to come right about the time you should need them. For instance Walls is essentially required at some point to keep unhappiness in check. I even focus on food and growth for the first half of the game. So high population usually contributes to an unhappy empire. But it's usually Wars that will push me into very low happiness. But there's a good reason and I hope to get a future payoff for doing this. In fact I don't like some of the negative events that happen with an unhappy Empire during wars. It makes it sound like my people are struggling with the war when in fact we are the aggressor and dominating.

But happiness is completely controllable. It's called Public Works, Public Works and Public Works.

Top Bottom