1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What AGP video card?

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Ryanstein, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Ryanstein

Ryanstein Chieftain

I'm looking to upgrade my video card. My computer is getting a bit old, hence it only has an AGP slot.

What is the best AGP card you'd recommend? I'm looking at about $200 Australian dollars.

Thanks,

~Ryanstein

2. logical_psycho

logical_psycho Prince

You'd have to look into the different models of the X800 card.

3. Ryanstein

Ryanstein Chieftain

How does this card go with running huge maps in Civ4?

I also play games like battlefield 2 and FEAR.

~Ryanstein

4. logical_psycho

logical_psycho Prince

I never used this card, but it is the best chipset you'll find on an AGP card, so for AGP it runs all these applications better than any other option.

Of course nobody can really tell you how the games will run without having the complete specs of the system you're trying to use this card with.

By the way, Nvidia also released the6800GS for AGP... might also be something to look into:

5. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Hey fellow aussie:

the GS cards are out but are priceded in the $350-$400 mark
    I recently (last fri) brought a 6600GT gigabyte 128meg AGP card for $220au
    I had looked at leadtek 6600GT at $204 but wasnt as OCable. Though quiter not having a dust filter also cuts down on the noise level

you can also pick up a 6800LE for $224 If your willing to take a risk.
    As not all cards are able to unlock the rendering channels

Yeah I know crap packaging, but great card

6. logical_psycho

logical_psycho Prince

I read that the GS would be around the 250 mark and thought almost in your budget, but I just had a look at the exchange rates and was surprised :D... the 6600GT definitely is a good option for your budget. By the way, which card are you replacing?

7. Lahdoz

Lahdoz Noble

I'm using an x800 Pro @ 1280x1024, with all settings on high and have no problems at all. Heat is something to consider though. I cooked an earlier x800 Pro because of poor case ventilation.

I do have to take some of the settings slightly lower when I play some FPS games. Halo I turn down a bit, but HL2 never gives me any problems on high.

8. dragokatzov

dragokatzov Warlord

ugh! avoid XFX! poor cooling leads to many fried cards! for nVidia, you want to stick with eVGA, Asus, MSI, or nVidia its self. The 6800 GS would be your best bet. save your money for a bit, it would be worth it

9. Speedo

Speedo Esse Quam Videri

IIRC eVGA is the only company making the GT6800GS? And they may be a bit hard to find, since they're not being made in extremely lage numbers. Either way eVGA is the best place to get an nVidia card, IMO.

If you can't get your hands on one, look at the GF6800GT, or look around and see if you can still find a GF6800Ultra.