1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What am I missing re: movement costs?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Kyroshill, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

My biggest problem in warfare is being unaware of my movement costs...

I find myself frequently being limited to a 1-hex move when I don't expect it.

Crossing rivers - Gotcha.... I understand that one
    Moving along a road in forests or over hills... only 1 move - don't get it
    Moving off a hill onto grassland... 1 move - don't get it
    Moving from a grassland tile to a grassland tile... 1 move - don't get it

Generally... what are the other movement penalty factors I am missing?

It's frustrating to set up an attack only to find I'm going to fall 1 tile short and get counterattacked upon losing the initiative, especially in the late-industrial or modern era warfare where bombardment can inflict significant damage.

Any help offered is extremely appreciated! :)

2. The Great Apple

The Great Apple Big Cheese

Roads are half a move, a third after machinery. Terrain doesn't matter, but they don't cancel out rivers before a tech (Engineering? Can't remember!). I also don't know how much railroads cost.

Hills and forests and marshlands cost two movement points to move into. All other terrain costs a single movement point to move into. Moving out of things doesn't matter. So long as you have movement points remaining you can move into any tile.

Enemy unit ZoC might be what you're missing. If you move from one tile next to a tile occupied by an enemy to another tile also next to the same enemy it costs all of your movement points.

Chariots are also funny and are slow on rough terrain. Can't remember the exact details.

3. stormerne

stormerne is just a Retired Moderator

Construction, after which little bridges appear on your roads.

Otherwise Zones of Control and marshes are the easy ones to miss. And don't forget if you're inside an enemy's Great Wall.

4. alpaca

alpaca King of Ungulates

Sometimes there is an invisible river (had this happen only 2 times in quite a lot of games, though) that you can only tell is there by the movement penalty and tooltip when mousing over the tiles.

Otherwise, it's probably a marsh not grassland. Moving on road only costs half movement wherever, after construction. You must be overlooking something.

Movement cost in general is fairly simple: On roads: 1/2, on railroads: 1/3, otherwise:

Base movement cost: 1
    +1 for forest
    +1 for hill
    +10 (iirc) for crossing river

Most complicated is Iroquois UA movement where you only pay half if you move from somewhere into a forest, even over rivers before construction I think. Moving out of a forest works like normal, though.

5. elthrasher

elthrasher Revcaster

To avoid mishap (it's probably happened to all of us more than once), select your unit and right-click and you'll see a blue outline that shows your possible moves as well as any units or cities you can attack.

6. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

That helps if I'm not at war... but if I've placed units so they can attack next turn, and then that turns out to be impossible, I have allowed my enemy to attack on his terms.... never a strong tactical plan

Next game I'll take notes/screenies to see if I can figure out what's happening.... thanks all

7. Paeanblack

Paeanblack Prince

-Moving from a tile adjacent to an enemy combat unit to another tile adjacent to the same unit = all remaining MP
    -Crossing a river without a bridge = all remaining MP
    -Going from a tile with a road to another tile with a road = 1/2 MP
    -Going from a tile with a road to another tile with a road AND have Machinery = 1/3 MP
    -Entering a tile without using roads = 1 MP
    -Entering a non-city Hill tile without using roads WITHOUT Scout bonus = +1 additional MP
    ---Entering a non-city Hill tile without using roads WITH a Chariot = all remaining MP
    -Entering a Forest tile without using roads WITHOUT Scout bonus = +1 additional MP
    ---Entering a Forest tile without using roads WITH a Chariot = all remaining MP
    -Entering a Marsh tile without using roads WITHOUT Scout bonus = +1 additional MP

-The displayed MP remaining will always be rounded down. Having 1/2 MP left will be listed as zero.
    -If you have more than zero MP but less than what is required to enter a tile, you can still enter the tile.

8. SheckyS

SheckyS Warlord

If you hold the right mouse button and you see a blue circle with a 1 in it, that doesn't indicate how much movement (if any) you will have left after you make that move. That's what is missing, in my opinion. :)

It would be really nice if there was some visual indication that the move you are about to make is going to use up all of your movement for the turn. Or even better, if it gave you a number indicating how many movement points this move will use up. Or both, since you might have fractions of a point left over.

9. alpaca

alpaca King of Ungulates

There is an indication: If you're at the edge of the blue outline, it will use up all your movement points. If not, you'll have something left. Not that something more explicit and, above all, floating point instead of integer wouldn't be a good idea.

10. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

To be honest, I underastimate the movement abilities of *enemy units* on a regular basis.

I always think, my ZoC should stop the enemy unit... and then my archer dies.

Silly me! Maybe it would be a nice feature, to have a "maximum movement zone" on enemy units, too, when klicking on them?