1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What american civ is the best???(civ4)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by INCAKOLA Peru, Mar 22, 2010.

?

WHAT AMERICAN CIV IS THE BEST???

Poll closed Jan 16, 2011.
  1. INCA

53.4%
  2. MAYA

6.8%
  3. NORTH AMERICAN NATIVES

4.2%
  4. AMERICA

21.2%
  5. AZTEC

14.4%
  1. INCAKOLA Peru

INCAKOLA Peru Chieftain

what american civ do u think is the best in civ4????

2. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

Moderator Action: Moved to Civ4 General Discussions.

3. pesgores

pesgores Deus Vult!

4. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

How are people in their right mind voting for America? I like America and all, but its UU and UB are painfully late and rarely impact the game at all.

Inca > Aztec > Maya > NA > USA

Both of Inca's uniques are consistently useful and EASY to use. Aztec has a top 5 UB that contends for #1 and a reasonably solid UU. Maya's UU is just OK, but it has a solid UB. NA is defensive overkill but in that role very effective. America is like not having a UU or UB usually.

Interestingly, 3 out of these 5 civs have a resource-less unit that comes in time to stop even very high level barbs. Aztec too if you have commerce in volumes in the capitol.

5. Tristan_C

Tristan_C Emperor

If you roll USA you're basically just hoping your traits agree with the geography. At least they start with agriculture.

The UU could shine in a sudden, modern amphibious blitz, but that strategy is more entertaining than useful.

6. Jerrymander

Jerrymander Epistemologist

I really like Lincoln's traits. Other than that, I find America rather lackluster.

I do like the Aztec. Whip em up.

7. ShakaZulu28

ShakaZulu28 Chieftain

How many such threads there out now? I bet that I saw one such yesterday in the Civ5 general forum. What's the point of making more? There are a searching-function, that is here for being used. And if you want to discuss it more, bump an old thread. That's a big problem for this site -- there are too much threads belonging to each theme.

I agree with that Incas are the best civilization, but I voted for America accidentally.

8. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Deity

You might not be the only one who accidentally voted America. Maybe some americans are feeling patriotic. I like Washington and do well with him, but I'm surprised the vote is this close. Inca are the best. One excellent trait, one reasonable trait, a good UU and UB. As TMIT pointed out America basically functions without a UU or UB in a lot of games.

What the heck, the threads are interesting.

9. Molybdeus

Molybdeus Prince

I'm surprised that the American Empire is beating out the Mayan Empire so handily. Aside from Lincoln (who is great) America really has nothing above average.

On the other hand, this certainly lends credence to the idea that many Americans demand to play as America. I've always thought that was silly despite being an American myself, but the votes don't lie.

10. mariogreymist

mariogreymist Deity

IMO, Lincoln isn't the best American leader; Washington is. That said, I vote for Pacal.

11. Dr.Null

Dr.Null forIhavetastedthesushi

American here as well, and I kind of wish America was a Colony-only civilization, and not available at 4000 BC.

12. ShakaZulu28

ShakaZulu28 Chieftain

What's the point of spamming hundreds of threads like this? It may be funny to discuss it again, but it makes this forum very messy.

I have to agree with you. People may think (as I thought) that this thread was for voting which was best in real life, not the best to play in Civ. I neither favor the Aztec, Mayan nor the Native American empire, but the Incas is very great, because of their UU in the start. It's easy to rush the cities of AIs. The Americans are poor in every way.

13. Rychord

Rychord Chieftain

I voted for NA, if only for the fact that every game I've played against them they've been quite a pain to deal with. In one instance they spawned right next to me and game me quite a run for my money.

Not so for any of the others, though Monty used to be a pain when I first started playing the game.

14. Arriba_peru

Arriba_peru Chieftain

wow....inca's are by far the best.....the votes say so.

15. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Whoops.

No England, France, Germany, Russia, Greece, Rome, Mongolia, Celtia, Vikings, etc. for your civ games!

The fact of the matter is that very, very few civs in this game actually existed in 4000 BC. Numerous civs overlap with the location of others to at least some extent, too.

16. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero Settler

Voted Inca for obvious reasons.

I don't think America's all that bad. The UU and UB aren't so great, but all their leaders have at least decent traits and their starting techs aren't too bad either (unlike Aztecs - I neither like AGG nor Myst/Hunting although I'd still rank them 2nd from uniques).

17. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Superconductor Moderator

Lemon agrees with the man with the spiffiest avatar on CFC! :bowdown:

I rarely play America because of the UU. I don't mind the mall (The one in the game, too! :p), but it does come awfully late to be of use. Similar problem as the Russian Research Institute...

18. Molybdeus

Molybdeus Prince

The starting traits, Washington and Roosevelt are very average. I don't object to them, but they aren't a major selling point. And the uniques are both very bad simply because they come so late in the game.

In comparison Pacal has good traits and the Mayans have a good unique building and a useful early UU. The only downside is the traits. But even there the Mayans at least have one good worker tech and you get to choose whether you want to go with Hunting or Agriculture as a path for your food yielding worker techs.

The biggest problem I have with us being in the game is that we aren't really a civilization. We don't even have our own language. I suppose you can say the same thing about Byzantium, though.

But at least all of them have been around for a thousand years, while the US is barely two hundred years old. The colonies are four hundred years old, but were not even nominally distinct from the English back then other than being located in a different part of the world. We're no more different from England than Vladivostok is from St. Petersburg.

19. Dr.Null

Dr.Null forIhavetastedthesushi

On the other side, at least the American UB doesn't become obsolete. I really like the Ethiopian traits & UU, but their UB has nasty implications for my tech path.

Yet ironically enough, we're famous for being cultural imperialists.

20. kivanc

kivanc King

I agree completely.
    Inca is the best mostly bec of Quechua.
    Aztec is also very strong for the SPI+UB synergy.
    if civ4 didn't have UU option, aztec would be my pick.
    I've been underestimating whip option for long time but now i use it much.