What America's special ability should really be

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by GGitchell, Aug 23, 2013.

1. GGitchell

GGitchell Chieftain

I was thinking America's special ability should be that America can run on 16 trillion dollar deficit it seems the most realistic or true to real life.

2. Pythakoreas

Pythakoreas Chef Tain

If my country showed up on Civ5 with a Unique Ability called "National Debt" I wouldn't be happy.

3. Strategist83

Strategist83 King

Fail

Win

4. Theruss

Theruss Warlord

Nah, their special ability should be greatly improved espionage but occasionally will leak out intrigue or tech to the other Civs.

5. Arachnofiend

Arachnofiend Perturbed Pugilist

6. MerchantCo

MerchantCo Merchant

Starcraft Addicts? Isn't that Korea?

7. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

That's not even unique. Japan's debt is about 11 trillion. or 2x their GDP.

America's by comparison isn't even 1x

8. Aaron90495

Aaron90495 King

9. paulcarri

paulcarri Prince

not national debt :) as mentioned there are countries with much more debt by gdp

when i think about the US and how it stands out today...id say its patriotism that stands out to me...

So, id have 'national fervour' as a UA, happiness increases if the nation is at war, as the populace rallies behind their troops

10. Strategist83

Strategist83 King

On a more serious note, can the current 'Manifest Destiny' really be justified any longer? +1 sight is definitely very powerful, but the Shoshone seem to get the better deal all round... Tile purchase discount makes perfect sense for US as it leads them into a wide Liberty- and gold-focused empire style, but you still aren't going to purchase that many tiles over the course of a game.

11. joshua43214

joshua43214 King

I still miss America's Marine UU.

Bring it back as a Navy Seal to replace the infantry at plastics. +1 sight, +movement, combat boost if with in 2 tiles of another unit, or gives boost to air attacks if with in 2 tiles of the target.

12. paulcarri

paulcarri Prince

ha i loved seals on bts, it was the only reason i played them

although i remember dropping the difficulty to monarch, and starting coastal, with fish, stone and marble and building just about every wonder in the game...that was fun :)

13. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

I would say America`s special ability should be Opportunism.

14. cinattra

cinattra Warlord

Yes, Navy Seal! In addition to the +movement and call in air strikes which could give a plane that has already attacked an additional air to ground attack the unit should also ignore zones of control during movement. Can also be carried by nuke subs and aircraft carriers taking up one of the weapon or aircraft slots.

15. CountAccountant

CountAccountant Warlord

Perhaps an ability to represent the technology that has been generated by American corporations would be appropriate. Something like "Corporate Innovation: Gain an additional +2 science and +1 Great Merchant points in your capital per trade route. Expending a Great Merchant or Merchant of Venice produces science as though a Great Scientist had also been expended (in addition to the normal Great Merchant benefits)."

16. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

The private sector doesn't do science, government or government funded academia do science. Business just patents the applications of the science and make all the money.

Venting my real opinions about this country would likely get me yelled at by one of the mods and the thread closed, then again that is probably inevitable. A country founded by slave driving aristocrats who wanted to be free from their responsibility of paying for the British garrison defending them, a population who insist they are #1 (woooo!) despite their decades long decline into poverty and despotism, and who's tyrannical laws are written in the language of hypocrisy?

...That was still pretty harsh. Maybe I just feel this way because I live here and see it's evils every day in the newspaper? Germany is pretty evil too, they've managed to destroy Europe for a third time, and they didn't have to drop a single bomb to do it, this time.

Masquerade: Can adopt Freedom and Autocracy simultaneously

17. CountAccountant

CountAccountant Warlord

I disagree with most of the political rant (I like America), but I admit that your masquerade ability sounds pretty awesome and is very creative.

18. Wulf38

Wulf38 Warlord

They should get the ability to veto UN resolutions and an increased success rate when staging coups.

19. Arachnofiend

Arachnofiend Perturbed Pugilist

I really don't understand why this keeps coming up. People do realize there are four other states that have the same veto power, and two of them use it was about as much frequency as we do, right?

20. Snes

Snes Warlord

I like how you say you probably shouldn't state your opinions on the country and then proceed to do just that.

This thread needs to be locked. There's almost nothing here that can be called constructive or relevant discussion, and it's an open invitation for political firestorms like the quoted post.