What an awesome start (goody hut pops)

Parmenion

Warlord
Today I started a Huge/Marathon/Continents game as Pericles and I had a fairly mediocre starting location - 1 corn and 1 marble with lots of hills. The best thing about it (I later discovered) was that I was a long way from anyone else, although on a continent with 3 other Civs.

I sent off my scout to see what lay around me and I popped 3 goody huts in about 7 or 8 turns, resulting in Mining, BW and IW! Lo and behold there is iron in my BFC too!

Yay! Early phalanxes.

Sadly, I failed to capitalise on this start and decided to spread my religion (Conf) to my 3 neighbours instead of sending stacks of phalanxes to sack their cities in 2000 BC.
Oh well, you live and learn.

Anyone had such an awesome sequence of goody hut poppage?

Not mine, but I read somewhere about somebody who popped Metal Casting from a hut the turn before they finished The Oracle. Can you say Crossbows vs. Archers or Swordsman?

Today I started a Huge/Marathon/Continents game as Pericles and I had a fairly mediocre starting location - 1 corn and 1 marble with lots of hills. The best thing about it (I later discovered) was that I was a long way from anyone else, although on a continent with 3 other Civs.

I sent off my scout to see what lay around me and I popped 3 goody huts in about 7 or 8 turns, resulting in Mining, BW and IW! Lo and behold there is iron in my BFC too!

Yay! Early phalanxes.

Sadly, I failed to capitalise on this start and decided to spread my religion (Conf) to my 3 neighbours instead of sending stacks of phalanxes to sack their cities in 2000 BC.
Oh well, you live and learn.

I read about a player as Rome who popped BW, then IW like 3 turns later. In like 3000BC.

I read about a player as Rome who popped BW, then IW like 3 turns later. In like 3000BC.

That's fairly fearsome, especially as Praets at 3000 BC would rock. My IW must've been about 3600BC or thereabouts, which is also scarily early.

Can you imagine if archaeologists discovered that an acnient civilisation was iron-working at ~3000BC?

Metal Casting is the best one I've ever had, seen it a couple of times

I'm not sure what the limit is when they stop coming (I.E you never get one lateish game when you say play terra and explore new contient, but I've seen plenty of good ones

Mathematics, Metal Casting, Horseback Riding, Alphabet, anything below these in tech level turn up reasonably often.

The best set I ever saw was IW, MC & Mathematics.

Not sure if you can get things like COL - which would completely imbalance the game.

I once had the computer have Alphabet on turn 73 in Marathon (only Monarch) so that must have popped some serious boxes!!

Playing Rome & Boxes and getting lucky and the game isn't gonna last long!

I don't think you can pop religion-founding techs so COL would be a no.

I've had a spate of popping Horseback Riding recently, particularly when playing as Persia (and already having AH researched.)

Metal Casting is the best one I've ever had, seen it a couple of times

I'm not sure what the limit is when they stop coming (I.E you never get one lateish game when you say play terra and explore new contient, but I've seen plenty of good ones

Mathematics, Metal Casting, Horseback Riding, Alphabet, anything below these in tech level turn up reasonably often.

The best set I ever saw was IW, MC & Mathematics.

Not sure if you can get things like COL - which would completely imbalance the game.

I once had the computer have Alphabet on turn 73 in Marathon (only Monarch) so that must have popped some serious boxes!!

Playing Rome & Boxes and getting lucky and the game isn't gonna last long!

Astronomy is the last goody tech you can get.

My most advanced pop ever was Music. There was a two tile island that went unexplored for quite awhile. I figured it might be worth sending a boat over to check out the hut. Guess my troops just chilled on the beach with the locals playing Bob Marley and enjoying the tall grass, so to speak.

Anways, it was a very welcome treat in my game.

Does anybody know if you are more likely to pop a tech you are not actively researching?

If so, when shopping around for a really nice start to give you that edge it might be worth researching something other than BW in hopes to pop it, for example.

It could be my pessimistic imagination, but it seems that everyone is typically researching what they want the most, and that when you pop a tech it is hardly ever the one you are researching.

If I think about it, though, at any given time, there are usually around 10 techs that you can research at any given time, so really there should only be around a 10% to pop what you are researching. Just feels like it happens less often.

In my current game as America, I got Mysticism from a hut after 3 turns, switched to Meditation from Hunting and got the religion. Huayna Capac got Polytheism and he is my most powerful neighbour on the continent, so not all good luck for me.

Awhile back I had one start where 8 of my first 9 huts delivered techs. It was either prince or monarch level. I'm sure I'll never get another start like that.

Does anybody know if you are more likely to pop a tech you are not actively researching?

If so, when shopping around for a really nice start to give you that edge it might be worth researching something other than BW in hopes to pop it, for example.

It could be my pessimistic imagination, but it seems that everyone is typically researching what they want the most, and that when you pop a tech it is hardly ever the one you are researching.

If I think about it, though, at any given time, there are usually around 10 techs that you can research at any given time, so really there should only be around a 10% to pop what you are researching. Just feels like it happens less often.

It can be annoying though to pop a tech you are researching 1-2 turns before the research is complete anyway :) (Helps a bit I suppose though and it's better than another map of 2-3 'undiscovered' ocean squares in 3500BC :crazyeye: )

I would never delay researching a priority tech like BW in the hope of popping it from a hut, especially if barbs are on (or I have Shaka/Monty as a neighbour!). I think the chance is completely random, not defendant on current research, and would guess the chance of getting a tech from a hut is about 10-20%, say it's 10%. As you say with about 10 techs available the chances of getting the one you want are just 1-2% per hut?

I've managed BW, IW from huts, then the 'Shock' event (bonus against melee?), then the swordsman quest. While playing as Rome. That game started well :)

Given Agriculture, then only Animal Husbandry and Writing need to be researched or popped before researching Alphabet, which can't be popped.

The older civ games just keep giving techs from huts, also in late game :)
so when popping a hut on the northpole in late game stuff like this happened:

"The ancient tribe has provided you with new technology!

you discover FISSION"

well educated tribe, me thinks.

The older civ games just keep giving techs from huts, also in late game :)
so when popping a hut on the northpole in late game stuff like this happened:

"The ancient tribe has provided you with new technology!

you discover FISSION"

well educated tribe, me thinks.

Not in civ III I don't think. Once I got middle I'd only get maps, then Industrial and later they would be unfriendly every single time.

I, too, once got Ironworking really early as the Romans. I understood for the first time that game why so many are obsessed with early destruction of their rivals; it can be fun to give rather than receive.

Not in civ III I don't think. Once I got middle I'd only get maps, then Industrial and later they would be unfriendly every single time.

could be, i didnt play civIII that much. I know its in civ 1 though, as i remember the game that it happened well :)

strange how the mind works. Sometimes cant remember the name of a girl I dated, but i remember popping fission from a hut 10 years ago. now, where are my keys?

I had the exact same sequence of pops in a game recently before I even had my second city built. I got one right after the other with Iron just one city distance away. Hannibal wasn't around for long after that.

Top Bottom