What are Élodie/Kozlov/Daoming saying

So his accent is actually Polish... well, it could be better if they would let him speak Polish most of the times then. It's not like it would kept me from whining, but still...

I'd rather have a Russian trying to pronounce the few Polish words in Kozlov's lines than the other way round, like it's now - but it maybe just me, hearing Polish accent in a Western videogame that isn't Witcher is strange. :p And Slavic Federation is still mostly Russia + neighbours.

It was good thinking by Firaxis to try and merge both languages a bit, but it's a rather poor execution of this concept. An interesting mind experiment nonetheless.

Elodie's mixed French, Spanish and English lines are nicely cosmopolitan though, and they're still elegant. BlackWhole's translation misses a few lines:

ElodieAttacked: Ridicule! Vous n'avez rien apris! Nada! - Ridiculous! You haven't learned anything! Anything! ("Nada" is obviously Spanish)
ElodieHateYes03: De acuerdo. - Agreed. (Spanish)
ElodieIntro: Venez, me t'(evoilese?) (mais te voix lese?) (mettes voi laize?). Franco-Iberia vous (something) heuresement. - her intro is really hard for me to understand, except, "Come" and "Happily". :p

ElodiePeaceful: "With CTP, we bring the culture." (I thin CTP is another word I just can't understand ;) )

Or it's "cette pays". I prefer that she refers to her culture-per-turn, honestly. :p

ElodieHateLetsHearIt3: "Don't do like everyone else." (Not sure about this)

It's either "Ne faites pas comme tout le monde." ("Don't be like everyone else") or "Ne fête pas comme tout le monde", which would be "don't feast like everyone". :crazyeye:

I am really amused by Rejinaldo's lines, though. I can understand a little Spanish, and his first greeting is almost purely in this language, but many his other lines are in Portuguese or a very nicely-sounding blend of the two. With a few lines I have a hard time telling both languages apart, except when he switches from one accent to another almost on the spot - I love it. Is anyone here capable of translating them?

I'd rather have a Russian trying to pronounce the few Polish words in Kozlov's lines than the other way round, like it's now
I would love that, to be honest.
And Slavic Federation is still mostly Russia + neighbours.
Pretty much that's why I didn't like the idea of language merger at the first place. There's still some certain language to be prevalent here. Didn't want to hurt anyone or trigger a geopolitical flame war though.

ElodieIntro: Venez, me t'(evoilese?) (mais te voix lese?) (mettes voi laize?). Franco-Iberia vous (something) heuresement. - her intro is really hard for me to understand, except, "Come" and "Happily". :p

It is: 'Venez, metez vous à l’aise, Franco-Ibéria vous accueille chaleureusement' - Come, make yourself comfortable, Franco-Iberia welcomes you warmly'.
For me, this is the most memorable CivBE leader greeting quote - on hearing this I am almost willing to forgive Firaxis the horrible trade routes management :crazyeye:

And as far, as concerns CTP, it is:
ElodiePeaceful: Avec cette épée, nous vous apportons la culture! - With this sword we bring you culture!'
Take that! Napoléon himself couldn't have said it better!:goodjob:

It is: 'Venez, metez vous à l’aise, Franco-Ibéria vous accueille chaleureusement' - Come, make yourself comfortable, Franco-Iberia welcomes you warmly'.
For me, this is the most memorable CivBE leader greeting quote - on hearing this I am almost willing to forgive Firaxis the horrible trade routes management :crazyeye:

ElodiePeaceful: Avec cette épée, nous vous apportons la culture! - With this sword we bring you culture!'

Wow, thanks. I had French a long time ago at school, and I never learned too much vocabulary to be able to understand all from spoken French. :D Those are great lines, agreed. Well thought-out.

Italian here so regarding Elodie

ElodieDeclareWar: "I'm sorry, but you are an obstacle for our success."

Correct, she starts by saying "Mi 'spiace", which means "I'm sorry" in Italian.

ElodieHateYes1: "Damn it!"

She says "Mannaggia" with the accent on a wrong vowel. "Damn it" is correct.

ElodieNeutralLetsHearIt2: "Sit down and speak." (Italian or Spanish, so I'm not sure)

Italian and correct.

ElodieNeutralYes3: "Let's drink to that." (Italian, so I'm not sure, it's not the exact translation)

Mostly correct. I think it's supposed to mean "let's celebrate with a toast", but "beviamoci sopra" is more often said when people invite others to forget about their worries and just drink and have fun.

Okay, now it makes sense I always heard 'hereusement' at the end of the sentence, therefore I couldn't make sense of it :)
Yeah, I also like her quotes, they sound quite nice. I think she is one of the more elaborate characters because of her diplomacy texts. An interesting note is, that she always talks about we when she is talking about herself, just like kings did earlier (Pluralis Majestatis). This underlines her very aristocratic/cultural appearance.
And she also has English texts, when she refuses. I think the intention behind those English lines is, that Elodie thinks you don't understand her well enough. Therefore she wants to avoid any misunderstanding and states that you have to "Go away" or that the deal doesn't work out ("I think not"). Another hint is the quote upon researching alien lifeforms in which she states that aliens wouldn't understand French. It made me laugh :D

@Ryoga: Thanks for underpinning my vague translations :)

One of Elodie's sentences is in Italian:"Siediti e parla"(Sit down e speak)
An embarassing Italian,but still Italian:)

EK for ek means one for one!

Unfortunately I only know gujerati and not Hindi.

FWIW, regarding Rejinaldo: There is a mix of Spanish and Portuguese known as Portuñol. I've actually encountered a situation at my job where a guy who was supposed to be speaking Spanish (to Spanish speakers) was actually speaking that.

Daoming's greeting message is kinda weird. The language is correct Chinese in Mandarin, but the phrase she says is: “泛亚合作,光宗耀祖。” or in English "Pan-Asian Cooperative, honor to our ancestors." It is not Chinese culture to say "honor to our ancestors" when greeting another person/civilization, and it feels weird or even funny. And I'm very sure it is not either Korean or Japanese culture to say so in a greeting message. Maybe Indonesian? Thai?

One of Elodie's sentences is in Italian:"Siediti e parla"(Sit down e speak)
An embarassing Italian,but still Italian:)

It does create the amusing effect of making her go from being refined and polite when speaking French to being absolutely rude and exceedingly direct when using Italian sentences. "Siediti e parla" being the equivalent of demanding someone to "sit down and start talking" in English, "beviamoci sopra" being the equivalent of "let's get drunk and forget about this".

Should have been "sedetevi/si sieda (depending on which formal structure she wanted to use) e parliamone" and "un brindisi alla nostra intesa" to more properly convey her intentions.

RejinaldoPeaceful is quite interesting: A união hace la fuerza (unity makes strength). "A união" is Portuguese, while "hace la fuerza" is Spanish.

It's interesting that he uses the definite article (A/la) twice in the same sentence, once in each language.

I also love his RejinaldoHateHello: Desembucha. He sounds like a BOPE officer saying this.

Judging by his other lines, it seems like he's speaking Spanish and Portuguese, mostly Spanish, but not Portuñol.

I figured it wasn't literally Portuñol, but it would have been nice for it to be.

I don't think his accent is argentinian. Sounded more colombian to me. Or paraguayan. I'm not very familiar with spanish accents, but the argentinian is very easy to identify.

Paraguayan maybe. Colombian not a chance

As with Civ5, there should be a thread listing all the lines of every leader, with English translations. This could be that thread, or someone could make another one, I dunno.

I'm interested to hear the other leaders' lines, Hutama's in particular, but I don't have the game yet and no one has uploaded videos of their dialog yet on Youtube, as has been done already with all Civ5 leaders.

Top Bottom