What are Élodie/Kozlov/Daoming saying

GenyaArikado

Judge of Love
Like in the diplomacy screen, what are their phrases saying? I understand something about commerce in Elodie's trade one but thats it.

Speaking a little bit Polish myself, that's what I understand from Kozlov:
KozlovIntro: "Satellite. The Slavic Federation greets you." (Sputnik means Satellite in Russian, but that doesn't make sense to me, maybe someone, who speaks Russian, can clarifiy?)
KozlovAttacked: "We/I will protect our lands. You won't destroy me!"
KozlovNeutralLetsHearIt1: "Please, speak."
KozlovNeutralLetshearIt2: "Think and speak."
KozlovNeutralNo3: " I don't know." (?)
KozlovNeutralYes2: "Absolutely"
KozlovNeutralYes3: "Why not?"
KozlovHateLetsHearIt1: "Speak directly."
KozlovHateLetsHeartIt2: "Say what you have to say."
KozlovHateYes1: "(I accept that,)Only for my family/people." He doesn't say the words in the brackets, but that is what he means)
KozlovHateYes2: "You may go now."
The rest is more Russian to my ears, so someone else could elaborate this ;).

I'm Russian and I can barely understand what does Kozlov says at times. Looks like he speaks some weird mix of Russian and Polish. Or maybe it's just Firaxis didn't bothered to hire a Russian VA as they did back in the Civ V so there's some English-speaking guy tries to read these weird words also written by someone who barely speaks Russian. But I digress.

The greeting phrase is "Sputnik, Slavic Federation congratulates you". Not sure about why does Kozlov call me a satellite or what he congratulates me for, but okay, nevermind.
The trade phrase is something like "Trade is based not on demand, but on fairness" and that's where I'm not sure what language Kozlov speaks. However, when he agrees, he is definately saying something in Polish which is most likely "We agree". There's another short line, "Konechno", which means "Of course". Would you ever call your city "Of Course"?
The war declaration phrase is "Onwards, masters of war!" or something like that. Not sure of the right meaning of the English word "master".

That's what I can recall so far.

EDIT: Unsurprisingly ninja'd.

Élodie is harder because she speaks a mixture of French Italian and Spanish, but here's what I have:
ElodieDeclareWar: "I'm sorry, but you are an obstacle for our success."
ElodieDefeated: "How did we get to this?"
ElodieHateHello: "What do you want, malevolant being? (?)" (The insult can't be translated directly..)
ElodieHateLetsHearIt2: "This doesn't amuse us!"
ElodieHateLetsHearIt3: "Don't do like everyone else." (Not sure about this)
ElodieHateNo1: "on the contrary!"
ElodieHateNo2: "Impossible"
ElodieHateNo3: "Cetrainly not!"
ElodieHateYes1: "Damn it!"
ElodieHateYes2: "We don't have a choice."
ElodieNeutralHello: "Good day my friend."
ElodieNeutralLetsHearIt1: "We listen."
ElodieNeutralLetsHearIt2: "Sit down and speak." (Italian or Spanish, so I'm not sure)
ElodieNeutralLetshearIt3: "A glass of wine for the start."
ElodieNeutralNo2: "I'm sorry, not this time."
ElodieNeutralNo3: "Maybe later."
ElodieNeutralYes1: "Yes, my friend."
ElodieNeutralYes2: "Yes, friend." (in Spanish instead of French like above)
ElodieNeutralYes3: "Let's drink to that." (Italian, so I'm not sure, it's not the exact translation)
ElodiePeaceful: "With CTP, we bring the culture." (I thin CTP is another word I just can't understand ;) )
ElodieRequest: "The trade functions .... the other." (I have no idea what she says...)

(Sputnik means Satellite in Russian, but that doesn't make sense to me, maybe someone, who speaks Russian, can clarifiy?)
Well, "sputnik" used to mean "fellow traveler" or something like that in the pre-space age, but now I can hardly recall did I ever used this word while NOT referring to a satellite.

Yeah, I was going to say Sputnik meant "fellow traveler." I feel the "they didn't hire a native speaker" complaints are going to be prevalent in this thread, so it's worth addressing this early. They deliberately used a mix of Russian and Polish to signify that they've merged in the future.

So where does that leave us with the voice actor? Well, if the complaint is just "not all words are Russian," the answer is "of course they aren't, some are Polish." If it's "he's not a native speaker," well, it would have to be a native speaker of both Polish and Russian and that's not easy to do. It's worth commenting on how he does with both languages, but it's worth keeping context in mind.

In Serbian, another Slavic language, "putnik" exactly means traveler.

Yeah, I find it kind of weird that there are Russians on this forum who don't get that.

In Serbocroatian traveller is 'putnik' and I assumed it's 'sputnik' in Russian. But you could also use 'sputnik' as an abbrevation for 'saputnik' which means fellow traveller. I think it's even gramatically correct since Russian doesn't have a vocative.

They should have used real Russian or proper Slovianski.

I dont have the game but i found some videos with her speaking a few lines

DaoMingHateHello: What are you here for(hostile tone)?

DaoMingAttack: War is truly a waste of time.

DaoMingIntro: something something Cooperate, something something (Sorry!)

DaoMingAcceptRequestForPeace/HateYes: Learning is a treasure.

I can probably help translate if there is a link to all her lines. I am Chinese btw(though my mandarin kind of sucks)

Yes, Kozlov uses "sputnik" which is "fellow traveler". However, the whole "Russian and Polish have merged" is only good for the backstory. The voice actor is unable to properly pronounce any of the sounds typical to Russian, he can't say consonant clusters, he can't really palatalize consonants. The vocabulary in the script is maybe 90% Russian and 10% Polish, the pronunciation resembles neither. It's like Russian poorly spoken by someone who speaks poor Polish with a strong American accent.

ElodieRequest: "The trade functions .... the other." (I have no idea what she says...)
"le commerce fonctionne lorsque l'on comprend l'autre'

It would be litteraly something like : "Trade works better when one understands the other (party)"

and as an acceptable translation ,"trade works when we understand each other."

"le commerce fonctionne lorsque l'on comprend l'autre'

It would be litteraly something like : "Trade works better when one understands the other (party)"

and as an acceptable translation ,"trade works when we understand each other."

Ah, thanks! Although I learnt French for over 9 years, I still find it hard to understand sentences in which the words seem to flow into each other :lol: Do you, by chance, understand what she is saying, when she makes planetfall? I have the same problem here. I just can't figure out, where one word begins and the other ends ;).

Stellarnight said:
I dont have the game but i found some videos with her speaking a few lines

DaoMingHateHello: What are you here for(hostile tone)?

DaoMingAttack: War is truly a waste of time.

DaoMingIntro: something something Cooperate, something something (Sorry!)

DaoMingAcceptRequestForPeace/HateYes: Learning is a treasure.

I can probably help translate if there is a link to all her lines. I am Chinese btw(though my mandarin kind of sucks)

If you are looking for the audio files, you can find them in the folder : ...\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth\assets\Sounds\Speech\Shared\Sochua

Well, if sputnik means fellow traveller, than it makes sense to me. But as for the spoken part, I think it is okay. Maybe they tried to make sort of a slavic language, that's why it sounds so strange.. Although there is one line from Kozlov which lets me cringe every time because it sounds really awful: KozlovRequest is just terrible :twitch:

In Serbian, another Slavic language, "putnik" exactly means traveler.
We got the same word with the same meaning :)
They deliberately used a mix of Russian and Polish to signify that they've merged in the future.
That's a good point, actually, I was thinking about it too. But it seems unlikely to me that both languages would merge in this case, IMHO.
Yeah, I find it kind of weird that there are Russians on this forum who don't get that.
I guess it's just me thinking a bit too much about spacecrafts :blush: That's what you get after playing KSP a lot.
However, the whole "Russian and Polish have merged" is only good for the backstory. The voice actor is unable to properly pronounce any of the sounds typical to Russian, he can't say consonant clusters, he can't really palatalize consonants. The vocabulary in the script is maybe 90% Russian and 10% Polish, the pronunciation resembles neither. It's like Russian poorly spoken by someone who speaks poor Polish with a strong American accent.
That's also a thing indeed :)

Although I am no Russian or Slavic, but when you're surrounded by them, something rubs on :), so here's my take on Kozlov:

KozlovAttacked: Davajte ochranim naszu zjemlju, nje budjem jej niszczit - Let us protect our land, let's not devastate it
KozlovDeclareWar: Vperjod, mastera voiny! - Forward, masters of war!
KozlovDefeated: Porazhenije vymogajet najliczajszego geroizma - Defeat requires the greatest heroism [not sure concerning 'najliczajszego', but seems legit]
KozlovHateHello: Stuczitsja niszczyj - Knocks a beggar [lol]
KozlovHateLetsHearIt01: Gavari prjamo - Speak directly
KozlovHateLetsHearIt02: Gavari czto masz gavarit - Say, what you have to say
KozlovHateLetsHearIt03: Ty prinosisz bolsz polupravd? - You bring more (of those) half-truths? [not sure for 'bolsz', but in that direction]
KozlovHateNo01: A korovy nacznut letjat? - And cows will fly? [lol again]
KozlovHateNo02: Medlenje glaz - Slowness of the eye [this one though is pure fantasy, may be smth in the eye, frankly, I do not fully understand it]
KozlovHateNo03: Ty soszel z rozuma - You lost your mind
KozlovHateYes01: Tolko dlja mojej rodiny - Only for (the sake of) my motherland [or family?]
KozlovHateYes02: Niech budje - So be it
KozlovHateYes03: Zhdjet menja obied - Dinner waits for me [perhaps another speculation, but I do think this is what he is saying and it is rather funny]
KozlovIntro: Sputnik, Slavjenska Federacja pozdravjajet tjebia! - Fellow traveller, the Slavic Federation greets you!
KozlovNeutralHello: Chodj, poznakomimsia! - Come, let us meet each other!
KozlovNeutralLetsHearIt01: Praszu, gavari! - Speak(, I'm listening)!
KozlovNeutralLetsHearIt02: Podumaj ir gavari! - Think and speak!
KozlovNeutralLetsHearIt03: V prostych slovach, pozhalujsta! - Please, use simple (open, unambiguous) words!
KozlovNeutralNo01: Proszu proszczenija? - Excuse me?
KozlovNeutralNo02: Sozhaleju, njet! - I'm sorry, no!
KozlovNeutralNo03: Ja neznaju - I don't know
KozlovNeutralYes01: Mi zgadny! - We agree!
KozlovNeutralYes02: Konieczne! - Of course!
KozlovNeutralYes03: Poczemu njet? - Why not?
KozlovPeaceful: Nasza oczyzna v bezogroznosti! - Our fatherland is safe! [I guess so :)]

Little pronunciation guide: cz - ch, like in cheet, sz - sh, like in shoe, j - y, like in you, zh - um, like 'j' in French jalouse :) or 'j' in jeens, but without initial 'd'

It is some strange mixture of languages, perhaps, some future Slavic common tongue. First I thought he spoke some Balkan language, but some phrases are clearly Russian, but pronunciation very much distorted, other phrases contain Polish words, as far as I can recognize, and so on.

Ah, thanks! Although I learnt French for over 9 years, I still find it hard to understand sentences in which the words seem to flow into each other :lol: Do you, by chance, understand what she is saying, when she makes planetfall? I have the same problem here. I just can't figure out, where one word begins and the other ends ;).

She says : "Come, get comfortable ! Franco-Iberia greets you warmly."

(Venez, mettez-vous à l'aise ! Franco-Ibéria vous accueille chaleureusement."

KozlovHateNo02: Medlenje glaz - Slowness of the eye [this one though is pure fantasy, may be smth in the eye, frankly, I do not fully understand it]
Neither do I. Pure fantasy it is, I think.
KozlovNeutralHello: Chodj, poznakomimsia! - Come, let us meet each other!
Sounded more like "At least we'll get acquainted" to me. The rest of translation seems to be pretty accurate. Well, until some Albanians won't show up :)

And, yeah, now that I listened to all of those lines, Kozlov's speech is clearly having some Balkan feel in it - if you don't mind or notice the accent, of course.

Yes, Kozlov uses "sputnik" which is "fellow traveler". However, the whole "Russian and Polish have merged" is only good for the backstory. The voice actor is unable to properly pronounce any of the sounds typical to Russian, he can't say consonant clusters, he can't really palatalize consonants. The vocabulary in the script is maybe 90% Russian and 10% Polish, the pronunciation resembles neither. It's like Russian poorly spoken by someone who speaks poor Polish with a strong American accent.

I was referring to someone else who talked about the "weird mix of Russian and Polish." Improper pronunciation is certainly a greater concern (although accents do change in real life, in this context, fidelity to modern pronunciations suggest a better final product).

One line was missing, MrRadar:

KozlovRequest: Torgovliya operas' nye na potryebah, a na spravyedlivosti. - Trade isn't based on needs, but on righteousness. ("operas'" is a mixture of Polish "opierać", "to base" with Russian conjugation)

Clarification:

KozlovHateNo02: Medlenje glaz. It literally means "You're soaping my eyes./Soaping of the eyes.", figuratively: "You're trying to trick me/cloud my judgment". It's a figure of speech in Polish. ("Mydlenie oczu".)

In one of Firaxicon panels it was clarified that they chose a voice actor that spoke both Polish and Russian to portray Kozlov. To my ears, this man is Polish by birth, or at least Polish is his native language. However, Polish words or grammar are a tiny portion of Kozlov's lines, most is Russian or generic Slavic.

One line was missing, MrRadar:

KozlovRequest: Torgovliya operas' nye na potryebah, a na spravyedlivosti. - Trade isn't based on needs, but on righteousness. ("operas'" is a mixture of Polish "opierać", "to base" with Russian conjugation)

Quite right! Missed the last line:blush:

Clarification:

KozlovHateNo02: Medlenje glaz. It literally means "You're soaping my eyes./Soaping of the eyes.", figuratively: "You're trying to trick me/cloud my judgment". It's a figure of speech in Polish. ("Mydlenie oczu".).

Now that my eyes are free of soap, I see the light! Yes, that's right! And this is beautiful! We have the same idiomatic expression. Thanks, janboruta!

Clarification:

KozlovHateNo02: Medlenje glaz. It literally means "You're soaping my eyes.", figuratively: "You're trying to trick me/cloud my judgment". It's a figure of speech in Polish.
Well, live and learn :)
In one of Firaxicon panels it was clarified that they chose a voice actor that spoke both Polish and Russian to portray Kozlov.
Didn't know that either. I was thinking about googling the voice cast for Civ:BE though.
To my ears, this man is Polish by birth, or at least Polish is his native language. However, Polish words or grammar are a tiny portion of Kozlov's lines, most is Russian or generic Slavic.
So his accent is actually Polish... well, it could be better if they would let him speak Polish most of the times then. It's not like it would kept me from whining, but still...

Top Bottom