What are all the screens for?

SS-18 ICBM

Oscillator
I seem to only use the Domestic Advisor, but what other screens should I be using and how do I use them to plan my civ's advances?

Uh, all of them.

Okay, a little more detail. The screens I use most heavily are diplomatic, tech, and statistics.

Diplomatic I use frequently, to see how other civs regard me, how my triangle diplomacy is holding up, who has what recources, gold, and techs to trade, and so on.

The Tech advisor I check whenever I'm about to complete research on something, to plan out where I should go next. By mid-game, I check the Diplomatic/Tech screen first. No sense racing to Liberalism or Economics for its free prize if someone else has beaten you to it.

I go into the stats screen to check my power rating every few turns, because the AI checks it constantly to determine if it should attack you.

I use the Domestic to see which cities are the best producers, so I know where to start a Wonder when the top cities are busy. I use the Military screen to seek out remaining un-upgraded units.

If I've got a shrine and am producing missionaries I use religion screen to work out where to send them. Diplomacy screen often as described above. Often check power graph to see where I am and who else is building up.

Know what percentage difference in power the AI attacks you at?

I use the gnp graph to see how well i'm doing in research.

Ballisto said:
Know what percentage difference in power the AI attacks you at?
Isabella is the most insane... will attack you at 30-40 percent of your power... dunno abut the rest, but its in the XML.

domestic advisor to see where to place academies, or to change production in alot of cities at once, like if i'm sneak attacked.
financial advisor to check how much i'm spending on what, like troop upkeep or troop support costs.
civics advisor -- self explainatory
diplomatic advisor to see who has a tech or enough gold to make it worthwhile to demand as tribute. can also be used for peaceful purposes, i'm told.
military advisor to find outdated units to disband or upgrade. also check it every turn that your at war so you don't get blindsided. remember he can only tell you about enemy units that you can see that turn.
science advisor -- self explainatory
religion advisor to see what cities need my state religion (if any) or to get every religion everywhere if i have free religion. also to see if a religion is currently unfounded,
victory conditions to see how i'm doing
and stats screen mostly to check the power graph, but all the graphs can be fun to see. also the top 5 cities is kinda cool.

top 5 cities are very useful early on
you don't know your opponent but you know their best cities :lol:

same screen shows you the wonders

civic "advisor" is very useful if you're spiritual (can change civics with no cost every 5 turns!), but even without it, you need to change every now and then (when you finally learned the needed tech, or when you plan to go to war soon = vassality, or when most of your cottages have finally become towns).

Gherald said:
Isabella is the most insane... will attack you at 30-40 percent of your power... dunno abut the rest, but its in the XML.

Haha I believe it. She is so much fun to conquer!

I go into the stats screen to check my power rating every few turns, because the AI checks it constantly to determine if it should attack you.

I use the gnp graph to see how well i'm doing in research.

It's absolutely essential to track these two things carefully. Oh, and all the other things mentioned by the other posters.

I've got a question. You know the "Spaceship" screen in the Victory Conditions advisor? What does it actually do? I've never seen it update to show the parts that I have completed, and while it seems that you can click on the components in the da Vinci-esque illustration, doing so doesn't seem to do anything. Anyone know what the scoop is there?

Judge Dee said:
I've got a question. You know the "Spaceship" screen in the Victory Conditions advisor? What does it actually do? I've never seen it update to show the parts that I have completed, and while it seems that you can click on the components in the da Vinci-esque illustration, doing so doesn't seem to do anything. Anyone know what the scoop is there?
To the best of my knowledge, that screen does nothing and tells you nothing. It is completely useless.

Gherald said:
Alt+click upgrade will upgrade all your units of that type.

Does anyone ever have enough money to do that (other than, say, when a great merchant has just done his trade mission)? I only normally upgrade the units that need upgrading by virtue of facing an imminent battle that they'd lose if they didn't upgrade.

DynamicSpirit said:
Does anyone ever have enough money to do that (other than, say, when a great merchant has just done his trade mission)? I only normally upgrade the units that need upgrading by virtue of facing an imminent battle that they'd lose if they didn't upgrade.

true, i never do "upgrade all "
i only upgrade high level units or for strategic reasons (like dynamicspirit)

cabert said:
you don't know your opponent but you know their best cities :lol:

same screen shows you the wonders

civic "advisor" is very useful if you're spiritual (can change civics with no cost every 5 turns!), but even without it, you need to change every now and then (when you finally learned the needed tech, or when you plan to go to war soon = vassality, or when most of your cottages have finally become towns).

Incidentally, on the subject of the civic advisor, I found one of the most useless dialog boxes in Civ is the one that, on researching a new tech or having a religion spread to you, pops up and and says 'you can now change to Civic X/Religion Y. Do you want to do so?' Even if I want to change, i always click no, because if you click yes, it just starts the revolution without giving you the chance to inspect your civics and see if you need to change anything else at the same time. So you risk going through your revolution and 5 turns of no more changes, without having swapped to the correct civics. I couldn't believe that bit of the UI was designed so badly. (Assuming it hasn't been fixed in a recent patch and I haven't noticed).

It did help me much when I was a newbie to Civ4. I didn't know after having developed X Technology I could change to Civic Y or Religion Z, and the pop-up dialog box told me about that.

DynamicSpirit said:
Incidentally, on the subject of the civic advisor, I found one of the most useless dialog boxes in Civ is the one that, on researching a new tech or having a religion spread to you, pops up and and says 'you can now change to Civic X/Religion Y. Do you want to do so?' Even if I want to change, i always click no, because if you click yes, it just starts the revolution without giving you the chance to inspect your civics and see if you need to change anything else at the same time. So you risk going through your revolution and 5 turns of no more changes, without having swapped to the correct civics. I couldn't believe that bit of the UI was designed so badly. (Assuming it hasn't been fixed in a recent patch and I haven't noticed).

you have 3 options to answer that pop up(i play the french version, so the text isn't exact, but you'll get the idea),
- Yes
- No
- civic screen

best choice is civic screen, allowing to change not only to the last civic you learned but also to change others accordingly (say you discovered philosophy, you can switch to pacifism, and you see caste sytem in the other column and mercantilism in between : those 3 go so well together, it would be a shame to change to pacifism without caste system with it and mercantilism, just an example, i never do this ;))

you don't know your opponent but you know their best cities

I love this screen when I'm planning a war. Sure, I can check the score and power graph to determine my likelihood of success, and scan the map to look for valuables in the enemy's territory ... but being able to see that one of those bad guys has three of the best five cities in the world, that tells me I gotta knock them back a peg and go for those three cities.

Top Bottom