1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What are best civ's for begining players

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by warsteve, Apr 24, 2017.

1. warsteve

warsteve Chieftain

AS a recent civ6 player what are best civs to start ? What are best builds and best starting Civics and best research?

2. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

It's really a question of how you want to play.

Rome is good for early expansion because of the free monument and roads between cities.

Macedon is good for fearless early conquest because of two early unique units and no war weariness.

China's builders have an extra charge and can rush wonders.

Sumer can build its unique unit and improvement from the start and gets increased bonuses from tribal villages, if you want a boost from the get-go.

3. Phoenix1595

Phoenix1595 Lord of the Two Lands

I would say if you want an overall solid starter civ, try Trajan first. Rome is a jack-of-all-trades civ, able to utilize all of its unique traits/perks like the Legion, bathhouse, and trade route bonuses to afford new players with the safety net needed to explore the game without too much worry of being pigeonholed to a specific strategy. With Rome, you can experiment with almost all of the victory paths and learn the game mechanics.

If you are a seasoned player of the older civ games, another choice would be Germany, due to the Hansa and Imperial Cities trait, if only because the districts mechanic can be a bit of a departure from the previous games, and Germany provides a good handicap while you learn that system.

That said, each civ has a different play style, so find one that works best for you, not necessarily the one everyone else plays. My only other tip is that Civ6, unlike Civ5, is more about going wide (establishing many small cities) than tall (building a few big cities). You can establish cities more compactly (sp?) than civ5, so don't be afraid to do so. You will learn the advantages of this as you play.

4. Very Mad Max

Very Mad Max Chieftain

Trajan is a great starter civ. Having the roads built to your capital upon settling can be very useful, setting up for easy expansion. Trajan is also very great for war.

5. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

The best civic and best technology to research is generally the one that has been "boosted" with a eureka bonus. :) If none of them have been boosted, see if there's one that you reasonably can boost and work halfway thru it and then switch to something else.

Montezuma and Gilgamesh are good starter civs because they have strong ancient-era special units. The Aztec eagle warriors can capture military units for builders, then the builders can help build districts; means you can really get off to a strong start. Sumeria get bonuses every time they clear a barbarian encampment; if you conquer your continent and then leave lots of empty space, barbs will keep popping up and you can pretty much boost the entire tech tree and half the civics just from that (and the gold is nice.) War carts can take ancient cities even without help from archers.

But really all of them are pretty good. (I think Norway might be the weakest, but even they have longboats and berzerkers.)

Don't play too peacefully in the ancient era, that's a time for warfare to carve out your place in the world. If you go into "builder mode" too soon, the AI's will forward-settle you and box you in where you can't expand. There's plenty of time to build things in the medieval and renaissance eras.

Hrothbern and Noble Zarkon like this.
  6. Jabarto

Jabarto Emperor

I"m getting back into the game after about 6 months of not playing and Rome is going to be my go-to pick, as it was when I started playing for the first time. Not having to worry about roads or building monuments early on lets you focus more on other matters, and it's generally a very straightforward civ where you don't have to jump through hoops to make use of its bonuses.

7. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

I must admit my first game of Civ 6 was with Rome as my civ (it was set on random leader, but it just happened to pick Rome). I must go back and play them again some time.

8. soundwaveuk

soundwaveuk Chieftain

I would echo what several other people have said, and recommend Rome as a good starter Civ. The Monument will help you keep up with Civics during your expansion phase. And the Legion will help you do some conquering.

I think it's also worth mentioning the early build order. This seems to be the biggest barrier to new players having a good time, while they spend a few frustrating games figuring it out.

Unless I am being harassed more often than usual, my first few builds are slingers followed by a builder. If my opponents are more aggressive then I will build more slingers. Typically I go slinger slinger builder slinger slinger warrior. Then I research archery, upgrade the slingers, and conquer my nearest neighbour. Then I focus on building up my Civ.

9. ShakaKhan

ShakaKhan King

First off, you'll want to lower the difficulty level for your first few games. Being a veteran of civ5 who only played deity and had nearly 200 wins at that level, my first few games with civ6 were king and emperor level. I still like to occasionally play at those levels because there's such flexibility in how you play those games.

More to the point, I'm going to disagree with everyone else and say that Rome is a terrible choice for the first civ to play. Being your first play-through, you want a civ with very general bonuses, something that allows you to explore the different elements of the game without offering too many unique advantages that won't transfer on to your future games. Playing as Rome, you never have to consider placement of trade routes to create quick transport between cities because roads are automatically created. You never have to think about external trade routes to supplement your economy because your internal trade routes create some economy supplement even without using the cards. You never have to worry about when to fit monuments into your build cue because they're right there as soon as you plant your city. In summary, there are many decisions that you have to make in most games and you need to learn how to approach those decisions, but Rome can simply overlook them.

I'd also not have your first game be as Scythia or Sumeria because there are very strong early game options that are not going to be available with other civs. I'd not play as Australia because housing is an important obstacle to address that he has considerably more flexibility with. I wouldn't play as Brazil or the Aztecs (or Rome) because there's a much different amenity ceiling for those civs than other civs. I wouldn't play as Russia because your first game shouldn't be one where you found a religion; there are many game elements and your introduction to the game shouldn't be one that incorporates this non-essential and usually discarded game element.

For your first game, I think America is a solid choice. They are generally considered a weaker civ, but they do have some very general bonuses that will help you out without being strong enough for you to become dependent on them. Also, one of the elements that can derail someone's first game is learning how to deal with the ill-timed DoW (declaration of war) against you, and America has a pretty decent bonus in defending against it; eventually you'll learn how to prevent it, but for now you can use a home continent power bonus to help you deal with it. Legacy bonuses are an often overlooked advantage that can help your future games, and America thrives on them.

Germany is another good choice for your first game. Districts are a completely new game element to this iteration of the franchise, and Germany has more flexibility with them. They also tend to be one of the more productive civilizations, and this helps teach you how production is the key resource in this version of the franchise.

10. soundwaveuk

soundwaveuk Chieftain

The reasons you listed for not playing Rome are actually why I think they are a good first choice. They remove some decisions so that you don't have to learn as many in your first game. Just a different philosophy on learning I guess!

Completely agree with your points on USA though. Teddy was actually the first ever Civ I played as, and it was good for learning the game for the reasons you stated.

As for Germany, the only thing anyone needs to be aware of there is the difference in how the Hansa functions, compared to the regular IZ

Leyrann likes this.
  11. ShakaKhan

ShakaKhan King

I guess agree to disagree then. I'll concede that this chapter in the franchise has more new elements to learn than others, so maybe (your point) being able to gloss over some of them may assist in learning the game. However***

Glad to see that my hypothesis had merit despite not experiencing it myself; my first game was as Scythia and *** playing as Scythia for the first time, there were many moments in my subsequent game where I stated, "holy jebeezus... this is NOT how it worked the LAST time. I guess I need to unlearn quite a few things..." I feel that having your first game as Rome would have numerous instances of this unsettling feeling your second time around, and consequently would not be the ideal choice to learn the basics with.

True, however a quick glossover of the civililopedia will help a new player learn the placement priorities, and will be a much easier variant to overcome than learning when to sacrifice the next item in the build cue for a monument or how to create an economy when your internal trade routes provide no advantage to it.

12. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

That's one of the great things about VI. Most civs play pretty differently to each other. :D

craney1987 and Noble Zarkon like this.
  13. The Islander

The Islander Chieftain

I agree with Shakakhan on this one. I don't think Rome would be a terrible first choice as they are just a generally strong civ, but I also think you have to get into the mindset of deciding how you are going to win the game at a fairly early stage, so at the beginning you should be figuring out different victory types, so probably Germany would be the best choice for thir flexibility with the districts, and their extra red card for defence.

'Terrible first choice' is a bit harsh, Their jack of all trades ability is something I really like about them, but that might require a bit of practice. they'd be good for a play through on a low level to learn the game, but if you know what VC you're after, there'll be better choices of civ to learn with.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  14. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

I'm playing my first game now with Rome and the free monuments, roads, and swordsmen that don't need iron (and are almost as strong as knights) are all very nice.

15. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

Agree... start with something fairly neutral in terms of unique districts and early capabilities.

Teddy is a great choice for the reasons mentioned. I would also suggest France (who basically gets 0 bonuses) and China. The extra 1 use on Chinese builders is a nice boost that won't overly skew your conception of how the game may play out. Except for early wonders being ridiculously easy - but that may be fun.

There is a very long list of civs that I would stay away from due to their unique abilities.

If you are feeling frustrated after a few games, try Sumeria.

The advice to build military early is sound... but I wouldn't neglect a warrior or two fairly soon to defend your slingers. Warriors can protect tiles, slingers aren't great at it.

nzcamel likes this.
  16. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I agree that you shouldn't play a civ with "freebie" traits like Rome for your first game, because your second game will frustrate you when those things have to be utilized for real.

17. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

Unless you are a Rome enthusiast and don't plan on playing the other civs, like me.:D

agonistes and jesperben like this.
  18. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

This contradicts the rest of your post imho. Planning where and when to place districts is a pretty important part of the game. I was just thinking about how Germany was the first civ I played, back when unique districts didn't count towards the population requirement and they basically had two free districts. Was quite frustrating to play a civ after that without those freebies.

nzcamel likes this.
  19. liv

liv Emperor

I think this depends a bit on what your previous experience is and what level you are starting playing on
    For civ there was a pretty good discussion above.
    I think the most important thing to learn is districts. I would therefore avoid a civ with unique improvements as those can just be distracting. Japan, England, Rome, Germany, America are all pretty good. Russia is a bit confusing maybe as they get a lot of great people you will have trouble finding room for.
    For what to build I think you need a nice army to start with as barbarians are rough to deal with. Most people build quite a few slingers
    For science you will need the basics and then the science for the luxury covered to start with. Most people probably head for apprenticeship after that as it gives more production and production is key to a lot. If you have a special early unit like a swordman replacement you would want to tech for those early since those units are often very good and give you a bit of an advantage.
    For culture you will try to get to your first government expansion as soon as possible so you will work towards Political Philosophy but trying to do that getting eurekas to speed it up.

A key to winning is expansion often by early war or by settling so make sure to change your cards often to help you build units and settlers faster

soundwaveuk likes this.
  20. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Germany is the best. Bonus district is overpower. It's versatile and you can play all victory types. Want religion victory? Build Holy sites in all cities. Want scientific victory? Then build campuses. Domination game? Encampments and Hansa. Are you going for culture? Then build Theater squares! Hansa, even if it doesn't add much more production then Industrial Zone, can help you in wonders, soldiers, projects, districts, whatever you wish to build.

Then we have Scythia, great for dominance. Double light cavarly and horse archer that doesn't require horse is great! And don't worry that it will work for short time - Helicopters are light cavarly too!

Arabia for religion. Thanks to their unique ability, you don't have to worry that you won't have any religion. Madrasah is good, too.

Culture game goes to France. Increased production for wonders from three eras and doubled wonder tourism is perfect. Chateau is decent.

I won't help with science victory much. It depends on how much campuses you and how big production do you have to win the space race in the end of the game. I would suggest Germany.