What are some of your favorite tactics in FFH?

Darkkender

Chieftain
I have come to really enjoy the "Trojan Horse" with an "Archmage" that has Enchantment and Mind Mana maxed out. You Use the Trojan To get your archmage across the borders of a enemy your not at war with capture 3 units with domination then enchant them if there melee or archers. Repeat untill your opponent has no more or very few soldiers. Then you take your massive newly formed army of your opponents soldiers and crush there territory after declaring war.

So I'm curious if anybody has any crafty tactics like these that are just as fun?

I like being the OO and using my cheap and new living units (lunatics especially) as disposable uniits when attacking an enemy city after burning blooding, hideous thoguhts, and mutate have all been used on them. Repeat until a high level unit can win the battle.

Civ-specific, but I love running around with Loki in the early game. I actually stopped building Settlers... Loki's just that effective.

Of course, any Creative leader ruins all your fun...

Darkkender said:
I have come to really enjoy the "Trojan Horse" with an "Archmage" that has Enchantment and Mind Mana maxed out. You Use the Trojan To get your archmage across the borders of a enemy your not at war with capture 3 units with domination then enchant them if there melee or archers. Repeat untill your opponent has no more or very few soldiers. Then you take your massive newly formed army of your opponents soldiers and crush there territory after declaring war.

So I'm curious if anybody has any crafty tactics like these that are just as fun?
Actually, that really sounds like something that should cause a declaration of war when you try it (using dominate.)

I like to rush for the Baron before I declare war. Once the Baron has level three city raider promotion, he can take out just about any defenders in an enemy city (with the added bonus of creating units to defend the conquered city!). This tactic is made more effective if the Baron gets the Axe of Orthos (or the blitz promotion) which allows him to attack multiple times per turn.

Late game with the OO, sit three tier four priests and a cultist in a coastal city. Every turn, two summon krakens, the cultist mutates them, and the last guy turns them into a flesh golem. Free ~10 str unit with empower 5 and possibly crazed or regeneration every turn. Works well if you happen to be building Apocalypse at the same time, since once it's finished your golem army will be the only one untouched.

Nikis-Knight said:
Actually, that really sounds like something that should cause a declaration of war when you try it (using dominate.)

Part of me agrees however there is another part of me that disagree's. To declare war you should know who your declaring war on. Because the Trojan Horse has the hidden nationality that means the AI doesn't know who to go to war with. Of course I've also sat on the borders of a nation and dominated the defenders and watched them get evicted out of there borders. It took the AI losing 10 archers from its small city before it decided to stop sending in units to defend it. I waited 50 turns and it never sent another unit into the city. It was kinda humorous. Especially when those 10 Elven Archers then marched back across and took 1/2 of the civs cities. :D

Beelining for heroes seems to me the best tactic.They are so powerful that simply can change any game.In my last game at prince i was at the bottom of score i got a barnaxus with which i reached a mid score and with the Baron i simply destroyed all my best opponents.Beelining for techs which gives hero is IMO the best tactic to win

I have to say I beeline nearly every game for certain techs to get certain hero's but all of that aside sometimes the joy of a crafty tactic that may or not grant you a victory is really fun to explore.

Alot of the power of heros is that the AI doesn't know it needs to dogpile them, hopefully the team can get this fixed.

A strategy that should have been obvious but I just thought of it in my current game: With the calabim, turn all your archmages into vampires, eat people until they can learn death 3, turn into liches you can make three more archmages. wash, rinse repeat.

(oh yeah, this is good, if you turn hemah into a lich he wont abandon you when you switch religons) (twincast + meteor swarm + spellstaff = game over)

I'm going to have to try that calabim trick especially considering that classic vampires use domination combine both my tactic and the one you mentioned and I don't think the difficulty of the game will matter anymore. :D

a few tactics i find funny .....

invisible fireball throwing mud golems

hidden nationality vampires

mardero and teh trojan horse

A fav of mine is to get a city as close as possible to a barbarian city and let my defenders soak up the XP.... I also try to get a hero as soon as possible. Let them soak up XP and use barbarian cities as milch-cows. Needless to say, to keep this going I dont have open-borders and I ensure the barbarians are as surrounded as possible. (Also, if I see someone going for the barb city, I leave it alone to make sure it has enough strength to beat off the attacker... and if the attacker is going to win, well, then I jump in and beat them to the killing punch).

That is all good for early/mid game, but for later game, well in .15, nothing beat a dozen priests with a druid or two and their accompanying trenants! The priests pump out the lions/etc whatever is needed. Enough to start wearing down the opposition, so that a few other units can walk in and clean up.... all without any casualties to my perm units... not that I mind losing units, but when I do, I like to know it is going to "cost" my opponent far more in hammers to replace the lost units!

oldfrt , try this

instead of a barb city , build the esus and put a stack of hidden units just inside the AI border.. they hate it and will keep throwing troops on em.

as far as your priest druid idea, have you played the shiam much? or used ritualists of the veil?

daladinn said:
oldfrt , try this

instead of a barb city , build the esus and put a stack of hidden units just inside the AI border.. they hate it and will keep throwing troops on em.

as far as your priest druid idea, have you played the shiam much? or used ritualists of the veil?

No... I tend to play random, so end up with the cards that I am dealt.

One thing I am finding with .16 is at least the AI makes an attempt to band troops together rather than feeding me piece-meal..... gives them a chance against me. (still comes over as a bit of a feeding frenzy though...).

Game I am in at the moment, I sat Bambur on a mountain just outside a city and every turn would pop off a defending unit. The AI wasted a few units trying to shift me, then gave up and just settled into a siege mentality.... which suited me fine... gained a lot of experience that way, did enough damage that the Civ called for peace, then I could use my nicely reinforced Bambour to hack its way into another Civ which had just declared war - whilst my troops were tidying up raiders and warriors inside my borders, a small force, with Bambour leading just walked up to the gates of their main city and smashed its way in. (Ah, its nice to see catapults usefull again).

I am playing on a large pangea, with lots of civs and 2 out of the top 3 civs are at war with me. I am nearly at the bottom on score, yet am more than holding my own.

Also, having 2-3 chariots (heck any multi movement is good), is perfect.... I let the enemy enter my country... then hit & retreat (repeat as needed). My two chariots have picked up lots of experience that way and make the land around my border cities a death trap for incoming units.

I have heard it from a friend of mine (and find it weird):

Make a fleshgolem. Be sure he has death III (maybe a highpriest or inquisitor of the ashen veil?) and an other one with sorcery (an archmage? a hero? or maybe a (calabim) immortal?). Make them a fleshgolem.

Fleshgolems can't advance. Maybe they even go down to 0 XP.

But thats not the end. NOW make a lich out of the fleshgolem. He has all the abilitys of both the original units and begins with 0 xp fresh as a lich. Advance him to 100 xp or more and have fun.

Your national unit limits are freed, and you have a powerfull sorcerer/wizard/divine caster, maybe he is even immortal.

Well that is fun, if not a bug!

My tactis is simple. Stack of 3 archmages and 3-6 t4 melee units (Either berkserks, immortals, spartatoi (I still call em PHALANX!) Maybe few summoners, or high priests with heal, or anything to follow. Melee units MUST have city raider 1-3. Simply blast everything with meteors and then storm with melee and summons. Stoneskin, Regeneration, Haste and Heal help. AI doesn't know how to defend against this.

I play on pretty small map and not as much AIs and trying to get evry religons.
You will get manas when constructing shrines, and you should have RoK religon for economy and mith golems sake...

Well Raven it looks like your tactic has been declared a bug and is soon to be squished in the upcoming patch "d". Darn and here I thought that sounded like a fun tactic especially since your sacrificing 2 high level units to create that flesh golem.

Top Bottom