1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What are the best Beliefs for Faith?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by norman1994civ5, Oct 6, 2012.

1. norman1994civ5

norman1994civ5 Chieftain

Wanted to see what you guys think are the best beliefs for your faith that you choose in Gods and Kings. I know some of them have to do with your location and how you want to grow. But still what are the best ones to get. What benefits you the most.

I have a lets play where I show me choosing the different Beliefs for my faith. So check it out and tell me if you think I chose wisely. The link is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNYvX82iwsY&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_159450

looking forward to seeing your replys.

2. Rooftrellen

Rooftrellen King

I'd say they are all based on location and your plans for growth, war, etc. For the Enhancer, I'd say something that helps spread your religion is pretty well always best, but which one, again, it depends. ICS, for instance, goes great with Religious Texts, but a more spaced out wide empire might benefit more from itinerant preachers. I've also had a lot of success with Holy Order to really push my religion in other civs, particularly if I am taller and need to protect my own cities from enemy GPr's and missionaries.

3. adsin15

adsin15 Warlord

Tithe is one I pick whenever I can.

If you are near jungle tiles then Sacred Path is absolutely 100% the best belief you can pick.

4. pensivepeppers

pensivepeppers Chieftain

There's actually one (the name escapes me) where you get science for spreading a religion to another city outside of your own I think. I was playing Pacal going for a science vic, and this gave me about 5 or 6 turns of research on renaissance era techs right away. Pretty darn useful in actuality.

I also have a question about the other science belief, where you get 2 beakers from trade routes. Does the 2 beakers go to a city, where it can stack with buildings like the university and research lab, or does it just stay 2 for the rest of the game?

5. krc

krc King

I have usually taken tithe in the past. In my most recent game as Spain (with a city settled next to Uluru generating tons of faith), I decided instead to take initiation rites. So far, I have spread my religion to 34 cities, so I know I have made 3400 gold over the course of the game. I can't tell if this is better or worse than I would have gotten with tithe. I'm beginning to think initiation rites is better because the gold tends to arrive earlier when you can leverage it more. But if those 34 cities average 8 citizens each, then they would continue to contribute an extra 68 gold per turn, which certainly sounds better in the long run.

Does anyone have a better idea on the relative merits of tithe and initiation rites?

6. Yzman

Yzman Deity

I don't have solid concrete numbers, but I remember reading a topic about this and it seems like Tithe is better in most situations. I guess its easy enough to rationalize

Tithe is +1 gold for every 4 followers right?
    And I believe Rites is 100 gold (lump) for every city.

So lets take 34 cities. With Rites you would be at 3400 gold, a respectable amount. What was the average population of those cities though? Lets assume an average population of 8 ( which may be modest, considering some AI cities get huge). You would be getting +2 gold per city for +72 gold/turn. It would take you ~47 turns at that rate to reach the 3400 gold, however you are likely not be at that that rate the whole time, so its probably more like 100 turns.

Hmm, with a lot of cities it may be better to go to Rites, but I have a feeling in a long game you will take in more with Tithe over the course of the game.

7. krc

krc King

Yeah, that's my feeling also. I think you get more money with tithe in the long run, but you get the money earlier with initiation rites. Probably need a "present value" computation to decide if less money now is better than money spread out over a long time.

8. Smokeybear

Smokeybear Emperor

Dunno about shorter games, but I usually play marathon length, large maps. With Tithing, I ended my last game getting 150 gpt from that belief. It goes up as all converted civ's population goes up, of course, so the number isn't steady. Also, it fluctuates as converted cities are counter-converted, razed, or captured and lose population, etc. But assuming even just a 100 gpt average for the last 200 turns of the game (which is probably too modest), that would come out to 20,000 gold during that period. And that's just during the final part of the game, as it went around 1150 turns. If you were able to calculate the total from tithing throughout the game, it would be an amazing number, assuming your were diligent and successful at spreading it around. Quite a bit more than a piddling 3400.

9. slapshot2119

slapshot2119 Chieftain

I'm definitely on the tithing bandwagon, as it seems to generate more gold in the long run. The advantage of initiation rites is that, in this game, instant gratification is highly rewarded - that 200-300 gold from a missionary may be instantly spent on a building, like say a granary or aqueduct improving growth rate, production, beakers, and money per turn, or spent on city state influence, getting you to a social policy or religion a few turns earlier. Due to the exponential growth inherent in this game, 100 GP in 1000BC has about as much impact as 500 GP in 1000AD

10. seancolorado

seancolorado Deity

When I know I'm going wide I always try to get the science one. I'm glad I'm not the only tither: when I'm unsure about the situation then I almost always choose tithe. actually come to think of it i can't remember the last time i didn't choose tithe out of instinct. Huge fan of Pagodas although I don't always choose them. The spreading quickly one (I know, i should look up their names...) that spreads even faster with printing press always seems to get me in great shape.

I don't know, I got comfortable pretty quick with the same few pantheons/beliefs that i wouldn't know how effective a lot of the others are (never even been tempted to choose that wonders one even when i spawn near one)

11. Dentalfury

Dentalfury Warlord

I typically get the tithe but realistically it depends on how aggressive you want to get at spreading and maintaining your religion world wide. I typically play tall and make some efforts to 'infect' my neighboring Civ's and CS with my religion but I usually shift to VC focuses by mid-game.

Now, if there was a faith-based victory condition. That would be interesting...

12. Halps

Halps Chieftain

I like the one that gives happiness per city with your religion. Gives more science and production/gold depending on what you do with the extra pop.

13. Cliomancer

Cliomancer Chieftain

I like Religious Community for the production bonus.

Also Pagodas since I usually have loads of Faith to spend.

14. omnishakira

omnishakira Warlord

+4faith on natural wonder for spain since it's going to be +8faith per natural wonder which is sick. It's pretty comon to have a natural wonder that gives 20faith per turn

15. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Messenger of the Gods is a weak Bonus Belief, imo. If you wanted more science, the 10% Fertility rate would have helped you out more. :) Aside from that, interesting vid, though the intro was a bit silly. :p

A good combo is Mosques (increased faith), Always War, and Holy Warriors (use faith to buy warriors). A neighboring AI used it against me during peace to conquer my cities during war.