What are the best Civ traits? (This is the REAL thread!)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by migthegreek, Mar 22, 2006.

1. migthegreek

migthegreek Back In Black

POLL RULES:

1. You can choose a maximum of two options only.
    2. They don't have to be traits belonging to one Civ only (you can choose any two)
    3. See HERE to remind you of all the traits and their bonuses

I just did the other poll about favourite Civilization to play as, and was thinking - a large part of choosing is based on their traits.

I think the best is industrious, but tough choice for second place. It's between organized and Creative. I'm not an early war started so I don't find aggressive particularly useful, although I recognise it's probably a favourite for many people.

I think the most useless trait is Spiritual or Expansive.

2. migthegreek

Oh my god I give up. I'm such a retard. Never posting again.

Just post your favourites I guess, although I would've liked to have seen poll stats :( :( :(

If anyone feels like make the poll, be my guest. I'll probably get linched if I try again.

3. unhealthyman

unhealthyman Chieftain

haha, looks like your having fun...

4. Fibber

Fibber City Hunter

5. Solo4114

Solo4114 Prince

Mine are being polite.

As to the rest of the traits, I've played mostly with financial and industrious, though I do like philosophical as well. If I'm doing an early war game, then aggressive is nice as well. I've not really played around with spiritual, though. So I'm not really sure how beneficial it is.

6. jerVL/kg

jerVL/kg Sheep Nuker

Same with the button that says "Edit." Use it, know it.

Hard to pick best 2 traits. I'll have to list a few:
    1. Financial. Can you say, Cottage Spam Hell? Massive boost to economy.
    2. Creative. No worries about building theaters before everything else!
    3. Industrious. Great for Wonder building (my whole point of playing the game.) Sucks if you don't have stone or marble nearby, though.
    4. Organized. This one is totally underrated. Try playing America on an isolated start with lots of room to expand, and you'll see why. (I owned 2 continents, had footholds on 2 others, more than 30 cities, running Environmentalism NOT State Property, and still made a profit @ 70% research!)
    5. Spiritual. Very convenient to switch civics & religions on a whim, especially when another civ asks you to (and you can always switch right back in 5 turns.) But you can live without it. Plus you'll probably start with Mysticism and can beeline an early religion.
    6. Aggressive. Great if you're a warmonger. But needs to be paired with something else.

All the rest, don't have much to say about them...

7. migthegreek

You guys are so original and witty with your unexpected comments.

I know how to use the Edit and Preview Post buttons, thanks. The problem is, you click Submit Thread and it creates it on the forum before you add the poll. So if you change page and come back to add a poll, it makes another new thread. The edit button doesn't allow for adding a poll either. Also, for some unknown reason, copy and paste doesn't work when posting. Neither does the delete button.

jerVL/kg thanks for listing pretty much all the traits.

8. Zombie69

Zombie69 Emperor

How about you check previous posts rather than start a new one? After the 10th or so poll on the exact same question, it gets pretty old.

9. Toshiro126

Toshiro126 Warlord

I would have to say organized is the best. I notice a BIG difference in my expansion capability when I play a civ that doesn't have it. Second choice would be financial. My last game I played as Washington and I had a ton of money by the end of the game...:king:

I still haven't found a good use for Spiritual yet, probably because I don't switch religions or civcs too much....

10. Jarrod32

Jarrod32 Warlord

You also have to look at how the two traits combine with each other. For example, I like spiritual as a complementary trait...and it goes well with Agressive as a good warmongering combination (Aztecs). Aggressive and Creative (Kublai Kahn) is also a decent warmongering combination, as you can generate culture right away in your newly conquered cities.

I rank the traits in 'tiers'; think of the top two tiers as ‘primary’ traits, and the third and fourth tier as ‘complementary’ traits. For example, spiritual can be good in a complementary manner to aggressive (change civics to jump in and out of short wars) or financial (you can jump away from your commerce generating civics for a short time if need be, and then get back to them quickly). Of course, two traits from the top two groups makes for a really good combo…

Top tier: Financial, Industrious
    Second tier: Philosophical, Aggressive
    Third Tier: Spiritual, Creative
    Fourth Tier: Expansive, Organized

Spiritual and Financial (Mansa) can go well together, to build up religious and financial infrastructure. I like spiritual, and creative can be good in combination with some traits, but a combination of two of the 'complementary' traits tends to be weak...a combination of spiritual/organized or expansive/organized or spiritual/creative are, in my opinion, a bit weaker than others...those combinations don't seem to complement each other well.

Even the 'weaker' traits can be useful when paired with another trait that they complement.

11. Guerra

Guerra Warlord

Financial & Aggressive.

12. migthegreek

Thanks for the non-flame contributions. I was beginning to think it mandatory that you be a **** to join CivFanatics.

I like your way of thinking Jarrod. I suppose it's preferable to choose an optimum pair of traits. As you said, some just don't compliment each other and are weak.

13. monkspider

monkspider Warlord

Financial, spiritual, and creative are the strongest I would say. Expansive, Industrious and Organized are the weaker traits (particularly expansive).

14. migthegreek

Perhaps you could point me to these 10 polls that are exactly the same, because I can't find them.

15. Coolhand

Coolhand Chieftain

Me hugs Creative. Cheapo Theaters and early border pops.

:)

16. KillerCardinal

KillerCardinal Chieftain

You know, I've seen a lot of polls that talk about your favorite trait, or your second favorite trait. However, I don't think I've seen a poll that asks you to list your two favorite traits together before. Mind you I've seen a lot of discussion about it that way, but not a poll like that.

Anyway, my personal favorites would have to be creative and financial(and no it has very little to do with the fact that russia has that combo). I like financial for obvious reasons, and I really like creative because it means that I can drop an early settler two spaces away from a resource(say early copper), and not panic about managing to get enough culture in there fast enough to get my axes before the comp tries to kill me.

PS, give the guy a break, he made a mistake, and how much did it REALLY inconvenience any of you? I mean, jeez do you enjoy making fun of somebody who is trying to make a contribution and makes a little mistake? :mad: He should be welcomed, not ridiculed!:rolleyes:

17. Solo4114

Solo4114 Prince

I think both Industrious and Organized can be quite useful. Industrious is great if you're going to focus your strategy on wonders. combined with stone or marble, you can usually construct wonders at a REALLY fast speed. Organized is, I think, more situational and dependent on the type of map and your positioning. The more far-flung your empire is going to be, the more of an issue Civ overhead will be. Combined with the fact that you can construct courthouses in half the time it'd normally take, and you have half of the usual civic upkeep, Organized could be a real boon to either an expansionist strategy or a warmongering approach.

You can afford to capture cities instead of razing them if you are Organized. Or if you're on a map either with wide open spaces or on a map with a lot of little islands, you can afford (financially) an empire that's much more far-flung.

Expansionist, however, I'm not so sure about. I think it's useful, but so far I haven't played a game where I wished I had some extra health to spare.

18. Solo4114

Solo4114 Prince

It's the nature of forums that some people just like to get on other folks' cases for posting a similar topic. Ironically, these are often the same people who'd complain about "necro threads" if the newbie in question DID go back to a previous post to offer his own opinion.

Basically they just don't like new people. :)

19. Pantastic

Pantastic King

Spritual and aggressive are two that I miss most in the next game after playing a game with them, though the cash from financial is always welcomed. I voted for Mansa's combo, but I haven't tried all of the leaders yet so probably can find others that I like; I know Monty and Qui were both very nice.

I think generally if people say that spiritual is useless they're expecting it to be a passive trait. Financial increases your money, if you're building cottages and windmills (on rivers) or coastal cities then it just happens. The benefit of spiritual is not that you avoid a couple of turns of anarchy on a the very few civics switches you'd do as someome like Catherine, it's that you can change civics on a whim. Stay on your 'builder' civics for a while, then when you want/get a war, pop over to military civics and pump out an elite army, then pop back all without losing a turn. Hit pacifism to bump out that GP or two that you need, then pop back before the army maint really hurts. If you're suprise attacked while running non-rushing civics (like caste system and republic, or universal suffrage and you have little cash), you can instantly pop over to nationhood, slavery, or universal suffrage and pop units that turn.

20. emills

emills Warlord

All the traits are benificial if used properly, however some are more situational then others.

For example, many do not like the expansionist trait. The expansionist trait begins to shine on the higher levels where the player is restricted on his/her starting health. Also, an expansionist civ can plop a city down right in the middle of a jungle and have it grow in population without improvements, and if given slight improvements, will be a viable city well before any other civ without the health bonus. Lastly, when playing OCC, the expansive trait is the most powerful of all civs with maybe the exception of philosophical.

As for combos, the idea of primary traits and secondary traits is a nice concept to rate their use. The combo should help maximise the ability to do anything, not just one particular thing.

GW with his fin/org is so set up for large water maps. I have had 85 cities at the monarch level in a large map archipelgo game. No issue with money as each city got a theatre/courthouse/bank combo to incorporate it into the empire at a positive commerce (gold/flasks) gain. This will also work on continent maps too. Let the industrious guys get the versaille, why bother making a forbidden palace, they are not needed and maximise the adaptability of the traits.

Creative helps with the very early game land grab and the late game war recovery. it is a great support trait for any other trait.

Spiritual is a great support trait since it lets a civ react to anything and more importantly, let the civ react without any penalty to production, commerce or science.

IMHO, the ranking would be
    primary traits:
    Financial
    Aggressive
    Philosophical
    Secondary:
    the rest.