1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What are the best mods to get?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Leathaface, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

I never used a mod before so I don't know. I heard you can only use 1 mod at a time, but that's OK.

Also, where can I get the mods?

2. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

-Legends of Revolution.
    -Rise of Mankind, A new Dawn or Caveman to Cosmos if you have a good computer.
    -Realism Invictus if you have a good computer.
    -Rhye's and fall of civilization. It's included in the Beyond the Sword version of the game, so you don't have to download it. It's modmods (RFC Europe, Sword of Islam, RFC Dawn of Civilization) are very good too.

Just type their names in the search box in the upper left of your page and you'll stumble on the download page.

3. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Nearly all mods have a thread in the modpacks section, some have their own subform, and most have an entry in the download database.
    But be aware, nearly all current mods are for the second expansion "Beyond The Sword" with the latest patch, nobody mods anymore the unpatchted version, the first expansion or the base game.

And yes, it's correct, only 1 mod at the same time, you can't load 2 or more.

And the most important question: What do you want to have?
    Game enhancements, more beautiful units, a better interface? An expansion with more civs, more techs, more leaders? Or a total conversion, like FfH2 with dwarfs, elves and dragons?

4. The Snug

The Snug The Civ Heretic

You probably want BUG if you've never tried that, it just changes the interface and information screens.

5. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

BUG is highly recommended for enhancing the game interface without changing the basic functionality of the game. It's so popular that I've seen other mods that incorporate it into their mod.

If you live in a nation that is not included as a civilization, chances are someone has created a mod to get you in there. For example, I'm from Canada and play the Canada mod every now and then. These are often very enjoyable, incorporating your nation's history and culture into the game.

But as The_J said, what mod would be best depends on what you're looking for. Try looking at what's on offer in the Creation & Customization forum. Try some out, and have fun!

6. The Snug

The Snug The Civ Heretic

Ha! I beat you by less than a minute! :king: I guess great minds think alike :lol::goodjob:

7. karadoc

karadoc AI programmer

My mod, K-Mod: Far Beyond the Sword, is essentially a more polished version of Beyond the Sword. There are no new techs or units; and although there are a few significant changes to the game mechanics, they are subtle changes. The main feature of the mod is that the AI is much smarter.

It's essentially the same game, but better. (It probably doesn't mean very much coming from me, since I wrote it, but I think it's very good.)

8. uat2d

uat2d ಠ_ಠ

BUG is a must, I don't consider it a mod but rather an unofficial patch, it makes the game that much better without changing its rules.

As for real mods who add new content and features into the game, the one I enjoyed the most was Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn.

These are the two I enjoyed the most, definitely, but there are many more great ones, the Creation & Customization and specially the Modpacks section have great content in there worth of at least checking out.

9. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

Your mod looks intriguing. I'm going to give it a try this weekend.

10. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

RevolutionDCM
    It's a simple mod, and includes revolutions, BUG, and some others. However, all the features (except for BUG) can be manually selected in a custom game.

11. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

Will all these mods work on Windows 7 64 Bit?

12. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Win 7 64 bit works great. Just make sure to use "run as administrator" option when installing anything and on the executables.

13. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Then you've been lucky ;).
    Some mods might have problems with Win7, but the modder should be able to fix it if problems occur. But luckily most work :).

14. MeatUnit2

MeatUnit2 Chieftain

I like Legends of Revolution for BtS and Total Realism for Warlords. Now I'm going to try K-mod: Far Beyond the Sword.

15. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

I've installed the BUG mod, it's works good. Much better than the default UI where you aren't told of your city expanding, cities found, etc, etc.

16. scyt4l3

scyt4l3 Short Fused Invader

I play Legends of Revolutions too, all the time, it is my vanilla.

17. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

I like it too, my only problem with it is the overnerf to praets... they can barely beat chariots now, and axes are also nerfed unneedingly. :undecide:

18. scyt4l3

scyt4l3 Short Fused Invader

They are indeed nerfed, but I feel it somewhat fits the rest of the additions. Since I play noble, axerushes are still on the table. Beside, on noble I can get away with rexing and a catapult war most of the time. I really like the fact that it merges my favorites: BUG, Better AI and Dale's combat mod, and it fills the gaps between several technologies. The most notable for me is the bombard, I always thought it was weird to go from trebuchets directly to napoleonian canons. All hail phungus and the other contributors! :goodjob:

19. civvver

civvver Warlord

I like Giant Earth Map (GEM). It's not so much a mod as it is a custom map/scenario. I mean yes there are significent mechanics changes but no new techs, buildings or units so it feels like a normal civ game but on a gigantic scale.

Bug is good, three huge advantages to using bug are:
    The city count. Bug will keep track of how many cities the AI has and post it next to their score.
    The war notification. Bug will post a little war first next to an AI's score when they go into we have enough on our hands mode.
    Hidden modifiers (requires bull I think). Shows why some civs hate you more than others because certain civs dislike others right off the bat. Like ghengis has -3 against ghandi (I made this up for example) right off the bat.

20. Ambidexter

Ambidexter Edjumacated Idjit

Rise of Mankind-A New Dawn is my favorite mod. It expands the game tremendously and includes many other mods, like BUG, RevolutionDCM and Better AI. Plus you can pick and chose which options you want to play with.