What are the disease propabilities?

Lullaby

peaceful builder
Do they depend on

1. the number of fp/jungle/swamp fields inside the city's borders?
2. the number of fp/jungle/swamp fields currently worked?
3. the place where the city is founded?

I couldn't really figure out yet.

I believe that only #2 matters. If you don't have citizens working jungle or swamp or flood plain, you won't get disease. Unfortunately, if you get disease, it will last for two turns - two citizens with die if the town starts with pop 3 or higher.

Frankly, I turned disease off in my mod, because it made flood plain starts simply a matter of luck to play. Disease can have too big an effect in the early game.

Lullaby said:
Do they depend on

As far as I know, there're 2 kinds of diseases.
The first one is terrian-dependent. You will get diseases only if you encountered such terrains. These terrains are flood plains, marshes and jungles.
It seems you will get disease if:
- they are within your city borders
I wonder if it counts the workable 21 tiles only, or the whole cultural borders. By the way, I once had a game where I had no men working on diseased terrains, but 1 worker still got killed one day.The diseased terrains were in my workable 21 tiles.
These are applicable to workers/settlers/people.

- fortification
As to military units (except king), they have to be fortified on diseased terrains in order to catch mortal diseases. Otherwise they will never catch so even if they stay at the terrains. So if you have any hatred to a particular soldier, ask him/her to guard these areas :)

The seocnd one is univeral. This disease is called "plague". It is totally random, and can break out all of a sudden, but the chance of occurrence is rather low. However if it occurs, it is devastating and widespread. All cities, people and land units (except kings) may affect. Sea units are immune to it fortunately :p. The extent of damamge becomes more serious to properous and well-developed cities (eg cities with high population, walled, generating good commerce, having trade network suffer more).

In fact, you can press "F11" where there's information about your emprie's disease rate. If it is positive, this means it is possible for you to encounter some diseases.

Lullaby said:
Do they depend on

I think both 2) and 3) matter.

1) definitely does not matter. Even if you have "disease tiles" in your 21, you are fine as long as you don't work them.

I think it is possible to stop the 2nd turn of disease by removing laborers from the "disease tiles". I have done it once (hince the "I think", otherwise I'd be sure about it). Of course, if you founded your city on a flood plain, then this is not possible, due to 3).

SJ Frank said:
1) definitely does not matter. Even if you have "disease tiles" in your 21, you are fine as long as you don't work them.

Why do you so sure about it? (NB: you say definitely )
My worker got killed even if none of my workers are working on diseased terrains. This happens once to me.

By the way, factor #2 and #3 are overlapping. Why? If your city is founded on the diseased terrain, your "centre worker" will work on that terrain automatically. You cannot change that.

Wai_Wai said:
Why do you so sure about it? (NB: you say definitely )
Because during all of my playing career, I have never seen 1) happen. And I do micro-manage every one of my citizens :)

My worker got killed even if none of my workers are working on diseased terrains. This happens once to me.

Maybe there was 1 diseased tile. When your city grew, the governer auto-picked the diseased tile, and during the same turn, disease happened, and your new citizen died. But once he died, there was no other citizens working diseased tiles, so the disease lasted for only one turn. Could that be possible?

By the way, factor #2 and #3 are overlapping. Why? If your city is founded on the diseased terrain, your "centre worker" will work on that terrain automatically. You cannot change that.

Completely agree with you there :)

Wai_Wai said:

Swamp has to be cleared before settling. Jungles are automatically turned into grassland when settled (you could clear jungle by simply building and abandoning cities, which is very fast but also extremely cost expensive). Only flood plains will stay flood plains when settled. So #3 would only occur to flood plain cities.

SJ Frank said:
Because during all of my playing career, I have never seen 1) happen. And I do micro-manage every one of my citizens :)

Me too.
Someone may feel micromanagement is boring.
But I like the power of micromanagement, and I like to participate in every bit :)

Maybe there was 1 diseased tile. When your city grew, the governer auto-picked the diseased tile, and during the same turn, disease happened, and your new citizen died. But once he died, there was no other citizens working diseased tiles, so the disease lasted for only one turn. Could that be possible?

Hmm... It may be possible. I'm not too sure whether the city grew when someone died. The case happened quite long ago.
Anyway, I didn't claim for sure #1 must be a factor. We need to do a test in order to confirm it. Since the chance of catching disease is already quite low, we need to do a long test (eg 500-1000turns) in order to find a reliable answer.

To me, I tend to feel factor #1 may do something. Imagine how you feel when you live in a diseased environment. Although people working/living exactly on that field will ill and die more often, we cannot eliminate the chance we will get ill and die as well. [guesswork, somewhat joking :p]

Top Bottom