1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What are the least successful Civ AIs?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by bcaiko, Aug 23, 2012.

1. bcaiko

bcaiko Emperor

Hey, folks -

What Civs are most often the least successful in your games? For me, Babylon is always destroyed by the time I find them. Perhaps because they tend to stay to 1 city.

Who are your miserable failures?

2. Rooftrellen

Rooftrellen King

Sweden, unfortunately, tends to get crushed early or pushed back to one city.

Not as bad overall, but much worse AI, goes to Carthage. I've seen Dido drive her units across mountain ranges, not caring at all about the damage it will inflict. I've even seen her park a damaged unit there in an attempt to heal them.

3. FeiLing

FeiLing Deity

Japan AI is getting wiped out all so often. Dunno why though.

4. Tachii

Tachii Procrastinator

The huns, surprisingly. Even if they take over somebody's Capital they're still pretty bad in tech but has a bunch of battering rams and horse archers when everybody have pikemen and knights ready to crush him at some point.

They're probably the only civ if given they're isolated somewhere without other AI, they will not become a runaway civ because they'll just build an endless amount of units and have nobody to conquer with. Equating him with a weak economy and science for other civs to eventually beat.

That said every AI can become the runaway civ given the right conditions, I've just never seen Attila ever become successful in his extreme early warmonger tendencies. He also never make buddies, ally CS (unless in mid-late game to military civs), or ever ahead in tech.

It's funny because Genghis Khan is usually a lot better than him in this aspect - because Genghis have to rush to Chivalry which means not neglecting research and economy that much - and their CS bonus is very helpful for them to take a few CS to beeline for Chivalry and whoop his neighbours.

5. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

Genghis Khan loves building the Great Library - if the GL is built, I will usually suspect ole Genghis is in the game. He is one of "those" AIs you'll expect to go really off the charts on scoreboard.

But Immortal Attila Runaway is really easy, though it needed a bit of help (Nappy was about to crush him before something else hit Paris)

Terrific toll on the Huns before:

Spoiler :

Now Runaway:

Spoiler :

6. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

One thing to watch out for Huns (and other nuke happy AIs - see Monty etc.): they will use nukes on targeted cities, EVEN if they have troops surrounding it.

7. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

The Huns either do really well or they never get past one city in my games. I assume they tried to rush someone and failed and then couldn't compete. They continue to field battering rams well into the Renaissance in some of my games so I can see why they can't compete if they don't grab cities early.

Sweden has never grown past 3 cities in any game I've played with them in it...

8. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Emperor

In my experience, the AI versions of Egypt, India, and Korea all seem to do very, very poorly.

9. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

Babylon is variable in my games, but rarely the weakest and I've never seen non-expansionist play from them. It also seems a lot stronger as an AI civ post-G&K, and Nebuchadnezzar may have got a personality overhaul (much more dependable now).

Consistently weakest of all in my games is Denmark. Most likely to be wiped out prize goes to America.

Attila pretty much never shines - he can be wiped out early, but usually I keep him around on one city because I like the AI so he'll often survive through sufferance on my part.

Other civs that tend to stick around as players but which are never or almost never serious rivals or high-scorers: Polynesia, England (though less so post-G&K), Ottomans.

I've only played vs. Sweden twice, but they've done badly in both games - once exactly the above, once just not performing well in a duel game and sitting on one city until 1810.

In my experience Egypt has improved drastically with G&K, and they grabbed a cultural victory in one of my recent games. Strange that you include Korea - they are pretty much invariably one of the strongest civs in my games. India typically does badly, but I've had several games where they're a major player even though Gandhi's never really in a position to go for any victory type.

10. cman2010

cman2010 King

I have never seen harold bluetooth do well in any of my games. Im surprised someone listed korea they seem to do well in all my games.

11. Dogmouth

Dogmouth King

America and Denmark never seem to do well in my games. Japan never did well in vanilla, but it seems to have improved in G&K (no idea why). Dido also seems to be destined to die.

12. Mark the Bold

Mark the Bold Warlord

India is pitiful in most games. Same with Egypt.

But I don't care because I usually hate them both because they stole my wonders!!!!

PS: I must do way different settings than you all because Sweden is always formidable.

13. whyidie

whyidie Emperor

Denmark I've had in two games and they were first Civ out in both.

Have had Sweden in three games. In each instance they seem be in wars early and they don't make much progress, usually being eliminated or stunted.

14. Tachii

Tachii Procrastinator

In vanilla Japan was like the Huns, always making a ton of units while generally not caring about expansion. I was used to seeing Japan stay a single city for ages until they finally started expanding. In G&K they now will expand more often and maintain military.

I also rarely see Dido overexpand. She seem to have a tendency to go tall... while also not really caring about wonders either. She will expand though if she feels her neighbours are "building cities aggressively" but other than that, I rarely even see her expand big even when she's isolated.

15. swishizzle

swishizzle Chieftain

Pre-G&K, Korea, Babylon, and China never seemed to do much. Consistent runaways were America, Greece, and Russia. In any game they were in, they pretty much ruled the continent.

Post-G&K, Byzantium and Sweden always fade into nothingness with Attila being very hit-or-miss. Korea has lately dominated in my games, Babylon is a serious player, and I've even had Ethiopia run away a few times. The Netherlands actually do pretty well too.

It's nice to see (at least in my games) that the same civs aren't always dominating or being crushed anymore. I feel like G&K balanced it out a bit.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - Denmark NEVER does well in any game pre or post G&K. Terrible AI in every respect.

16. ArchyDarky

ArchyDarky Warlord

Denmark takes the cake. India comes a close second. Korea tends to be a runaway civ, same with Siam. Egypt tends to forget to upgrade their units in my games. I would say the most robust civ in most of my games is France.

17. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

Denmark I can rely to fail

18. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

Not in every respect - he's a terrible player (and a bad choice of friend if you don't want to annoy everyone he declares war on, which means all the other civs), but I find Harald a lot of fun.

Strange that I can't agree with any of your characterisations except Babylon, Greece, Russia and the Netherlands (haven't had any games with AI Ethiopia, or many with Sweden). Korea and China were always formidable in my pre-G&K games, and that remains the same now. While I can't recall America ever having done well either pre- or post-G&K; at best, if it has a continent to itself, it will see the game through as a middle-scorer, but it's never been a threat for victory and seems more likely to lose its capital even than Denmark. Seriously, if I get the "Unmet Player has lost its capital" notification early (as CSes no longer give that notification), I can pretty accurately predict that (a) the Huns are in the game, or (b) America was in the game. The only game I can recall in which Washington was relevant enough to remember the specifics was a game in which he and Siam stalled me long enough to prevent a domination victory, but that was mostly because he had some very defensible cities - Ramkamhaeng was my only serious opponent, Washington better-characterised as a roadblock defending his flank.

Attila is very miss in my games, while Byzantium can be a middle power. To the extent that I was astonished by something resembling decent play on Attila's part in one game - and even that (and my refusal to press the attack once I'd saved my city-states and liberated London) resulted in him surviving only on sufferance as usual. I took him down to one city by the end of the game when he and Dido decided to try and take out my CS allies before I could get diplo victory (when Attila's own army was smaller than and technologically inferior to Zanzibar's, the closest of my CS allies).

19. aguliondew

aguliondew Prince

Yea I have never seen a game where denmark makes it past the medieval age. They are always the first civ to die.

20. Tachii

Tachii Procrastinator

Lolyeah, everytime I get an early "unmet player have lost their capital" it's almost always Attila. if he's near any other AI they will likely to be screwed, no matter who they are unless the terrain is really in their favour. I've seen him defeat Rome, Inca, Austria so far.