1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What are the must have promotions?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by KokeenoPokameso, Feb 8, 2013.

1. KokeenoPokameso

KokeenoPokameso Warlord

By the end of a game I usually many units with 2 - 4 promotions and 1 - 2 units with 5 - 6 promotions. I almost never gain promotions beyond that. I almost never build barracks line of building.

As I said above I use the double promotion to farm ep from cities. Often prolonging a way beyond the point I could or would want to take another city.

So let me ask you guys another question. What is the best way to farm ep in this game?

2. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

A related question about the Ambush promotions. Anyone know what constitutes an "armor" unit in the pre-industrial eras?

3. Biologist

Biologist Researcher

Go to war with a city state, park your unit outside its city, and soak up damage. Rotate several units in and out of the line of fire for best results.

4. KokeenoPokameso

KokeenoPokameso Warlord

Good Idea. If you war with City States long enough wont they all DOW you in permanent war? I seam to remember trying this at one time and running into this problem.

5. compwiz1202

compwiz1202 King

Are there any UUs other than Samurai that automatically get a promotion that is part of the normal line and not some special one just for that UU? I think even Cossack Wounded bonus is on top of the actual Wounded promotion.

6. damnyankees

damnyankees Warlord

Jaguar Warriors starts with the Woodsman bonus.

7. fufie

fufie Peanut Farmer

Mehal Sefari (Ethiopia) has Drill I. Dutch Sea Beggars have coastal raider and supply. ...

8. compwiz1202

compwiz1202 King

I know eventually I got some message about the other city states growing weary of my aggression, and I know it can definitely annoy the other civs. I forget how I got to permanent war one time. Maybe that just happens if you are at war with a civ allied with a CS. You can't make peace with that CS without making peace with the civ.

9. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Some come immediately to mind: Horse Archer begins with Accuracy I, Berserker starts with Amphibious, Cho-Ko-Nu starts with May Attack Twice, Longbowman starts with Range, Minuteman starts with Drill I (in addition to Ignores Terrain Costs), and Cossacks get the 33% Damaged Enemy Bonus.

I'm sure there are others.

EDIT: Fufie has noted a couple more. There are probably others as well.

10. compwiz1202

compwiz1202 King

Darn too bad it's drill I. I was looking for a more advanced unit that wouldn't be obsolete by the time you got barracks, armory, Alahambra, military academy and Brandenburg Gate to see how many promotions you could get at once when first building a unit. Is Alahambra wasted on MS or would it get Drill II instead since it already gets Drill I. Also, is there any other way to get bonus XP on build? Isn't there some policy in Autocracy?

11. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

I'm pretty sure Alhambra only gives Drill I (not Drill II if the unit already comes with Drill I).

12. compwiz1202

compwiz1202 King

Thanks. Research shows that the winner would be Carolean since they get March automatically and come late enough to get all the starting XP bonuses.

13. Wargizmo

Wargizmo Warlord

Volley is a very underrated promotion... 50% bonus against cities and fortified units (and the AI fortifies quite a bit). Given that most early ranged rushes are about taking cities, volley is extremely useful. I also like cover for ranged units. Being able to take more hits will also increase the time you can stay in battle and therefore lead to more XP for future promotions. Obviously range and logistics are amazing but it takes way to long to get to that level on most games.

14. KokeenoPokameso

KokeenoPokameso Warlord

A city and always fight at full strength no matter how injured it is, and garrisons do not take damage when being attacked. Unless you take the city out, and it's Garrison, in a given round it will do a great deal of damage against someone. I usually find it more important to survive a round of combat with decent health so you can attack 2-3 turns before falling back. Unless you can do a lot of damage quickly I usually find defective promotion more beneficial. Also more rounds of combat means more xp.

15. Schalke 04

Schalke 04 Knappe

I always keep that strategy in mind when starting a game. But for some not known reason, I don't follow / forget that idea in the end... :crazyeye: It sounds promissing though!

As for the original question regarding the level ups of units:
    Just move up in diffiiculty! If you are high enough in difficulty level (paired with your own aggression or declaration of other civs), promotions come with themselves... :trouble:
    Most tips of players that are talking about level 5 units or above are from players that play on a higher level. If you want those units on a lower level (below Emperor approximately) you should aim for the mentioned experience buildings and wonders, as they are easy to get. But if you do so, you will find soon, that a higher diff level (Emperor+) might be more challenging... ;) And on these diff levels you will meet more enemy units, that give you the experience you're asking for by combat! Just make sure to keep your valuable ranged units always protected. Melee units (formerly known as 'meat shields') come and go and don't need to be on level 5 or higher in most circumstances.

16. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

The base unit has Coastal Raider I (& Prize Ships); Sea Beggars adds Coastal Raider II & Supply.
    (Build with 30 XP and then choose Coastal Raider III & 2 Attacks per turn)

17. WarIsPeace

WarIsPeace Chieftain

I used to take march as my first "premium" promotion on my ranged units because it was available after Accuracy I and II or Barrage I & II. Instead I now hold out for +1 range (available after Accuracy/Barrage III). Once a ranged unit (usually a CBow or XBow) gets that, it can find a nice hill to stand on (preferably behind some forest or a river) and plunk away at a target every single turn without taking damage. The XP pile up quickly then.

In fact, I often end up taking march as one of the last promotions that unit gets because once it gets range, it rarely gets damaged again. And once it gets range and logistics, it's incredibly valuable and I don't dare let it get damaged.

18. Zezima

Zezima Professional Troll

My melee units usually have a balance of open terrain focus, rough terrain focus, cover, and medic. Having a variety makes taking cities a lot easier early on. Spear line usually focuses cover/medic while swordsman line focuses on shock/drill until march.

My range units always beeline range first and usually logistics afterwards. If I am against a heavy flood of units or am on defense, I might go logistics first, since it helps net XP quicker. March comes next.

Siege units before artillery get the bonus against cities ASAP, then beeline range. After artillery they beeline range/logistics.

Naval melee I almost always get bonuses against ships. Won't take cities till they are drained anyway.

Naval ranged usually have a balance between bonuses against land and sea. Get range ASAP, then logistics or supply depending on needs.

Bombers get siege, fighters get interception, both prioritize air supply (which Brandenburg can get you upon build).

My scouts used to always get the survival promotions, but now I always get extra vision. Scouts on hills with +2 vision are invaluable in early war. I wonder if it would stack appropriately with America's UA. That would be impressive.

Mounted/armor units typically focus open terrain bonus with utility promotions like sentry and blitz.

The scariest promotion combo that I had was a Jaguar promoted to Mech Infantry with Blitz. Could knock out unit after unit while healing after every kill. :crazyeye: