1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

what are the penalties for city spamming?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by Greasy Dave, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Greasy Dave

Greasy Dave Chieftain

I assumed that the game would have some similar mechanics to civ 5 for limiting ICS - increasing cost of techs and civics etc. But I read a throw away comment on a different forum that there were no such penalties? Is this true?

Are there any penalties or disadvantages to spamming cities, apart from the obvious amenities cost?
    Thanks

2. Swissy

Swissy Chieftain

The only current penalty for city spamming is the the escalating cost of settlers. The expansion announced this past week will introduce a city loyalty system that may limit ICS.

3. Arent11

Arent11 Chieftain

And the increasing cost of builders. However, the yield of tile improvements rises about 3x throughout the game and policies can also fight the increasing settler/builder costs. And of course, you can simply conquer cities. So, the statement that there is "no" penalty is not completely true, but it is also not wrong.

I hope that this illogical & counterintuitive mechanic (rising settler/builder cost) will be abolished once we have the loyalty system.

4. liv

liv Warlord

It is not the same mechanic as civ5 at all and no reason to build tall either so city spamming is the way to go. However everything gets more costly so after turn 100 or so you do not really want to add more cities as it becomes too costly to try to make them viable. The best strategy right now is to get as many cities you can the first 100 turns.

5. fjordan

fjordan Chieftain

To be a bit more precise, turn count has nothing to do with it. Settlers and builders get more expensive whit every one you build. Which is opposed to districts that get more expensive with every tech/civic you discover. So the best strategy is to capture cities because they do not raise settler cost. Also, settler and worker steals do not raise that cost. I am not a warmonger but whenever possible I make sure to start a war with a steal. Also, as stated in another thread, it can make perfect sense to build a middle/late game city just to get a resource and/or chop out a (preferably campus) district.

BWS and liv like this.
  6. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

There are plenty of reasons for mid-late game and remote colonies. One would argue civ 5 limitations were too harsh and/or simple. The reality of it is that a remote single settled colony often flipped/rebelled and it does seem like they are trying to adjust it and we can just hope it is not too unpleasant.