1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] What are the requirements to liberate a city?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by SnipedSoul, Sep 3, 2020.

1. SnipedSoul

SnipedSoul Warlord

Japan declared war on me and I captured a city before making peace. I want to give the city back since it's not very good and I am not interested in fighting Japan right now. Ideally, I would liberate the city to get a nice diplo bonus, but the only option is to gift the city. It just says Osaka instead of Osaka (liberate). The city tile is 94% Japanese culture, but the borders had not popped before I captured it.

Does anyone know what causes the (liberate) option to appear in the trade screen?

Many thanks.

2. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Tried to look into this, but am not sure. Maybe it needs 0 of your own culture? At least the liberate option is available for me then. Thought it may have to have over 50% of an AI's culture otherwise, but I have a city like that, and there is no liberate option.

3. Qactus

Qactus Romani ite domum

It also depends on the distance to both your and Tokugawa's capitals. With the culture it's quite complicated. You might want to read through this post for the exact math.