1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What are the short and long term plans for Caveman 2 Cosmos?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by Prscyse, Oct 20, 2020.

1. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Depends upon # of AI empires and NPCs still in game, Map size, number of units in game, number of cities on map and size of cities. It is not necessarily Era driven. So no one can tell you what specific era it may occur in. :/

2. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

In v40 it was about Industrial for a Huge map. Now I suspect you'd often finish the game before you have a problem if you're on a large or less map - I don't know though. Lots has been done to improve memory use.

3. gamer1978

gamer1978 Chieftain

Just a guess, but I want to say probably Renaissance or Industrial.

4. jshetley

jshetley Warlord

I was still going on a giant map with over 100 cities on it in the classical era without a crash. I only stopped it because version 41 came out a couple of weeks ago. That would not have been remotely possible just a couple of years ago. Great job.

Thunderbrd likes this.
  5. Osk21

Osk21 Barbarian Killer win Peace thru War!

What's the status on multi-map, and being able to colonize all of the moons and planets that there are buildings for?

6. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Multi maps is still far away, only small incremental technical steps have been taken towards it the last couple years, mostly by MattCA, many small steps do sum up to significance though.
    There's a lot of other priorities to work on before we can wholly focus on multi-maps as a team.
    It's a big project even when the technical part reach a somewhat functional stage (the dll code that enables multi-maps as a function), at that point we can begin to work on in-game user interface (may take a couple months of dedicated work), and we would also need to rethink a lot of the content we currently have and how it should work across maps in a reasonable manner (that includes re-programming stuff that is not obviously related to multi-maps).
    Neither user interface for it nor more detailed plans on how general content will work across different maps have been planned out in detail yet, so there will have to be a design/discussion phase in the team before we can really start working on those things proper.
    Last, but not least, we need to create a couple good space map-scripts, at the early stage we'll probably just use the scripts we already have and/or some simple template script to see how multi-maps stuff works in-game while developing it.
    Another challenge I forgot to mention is how we decide to cache data about maps that are not active, we probably need to store data about inactive maps that is not relevant to the current map on disc so we don't use up all the RAM holding 3-4 huge maps with all their units and cities, we probably have to create some new abstract summary data per map that tells one map how the stuff on the other maps influence stuff on this map. Anyhow, there's a lot of interesting challenges with multi maps that needs inventive solutions.

@MattCA How is the fundamental technical code for it at this moment, is it at the point where switching between maps is possible in some rudimentary way?

cobbaut likes this.
  7. MattCA

MattCA Prince

Go to Parallel Maps global defines and turn on the multimap one.
    hit alt+1 in game. alt+0 for initial map

8. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Cool, I thought I remembered you said something along that line some time ago.

9. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Really gotta try playing around with that a bit soon.

10. Trantor

Trantor Warlord

once your form your first space colony alien species apear. they have spaceships and even colonise the ocean on earth with under water colonies. the entire tech tree change as aliens attack from water and navy is more important.

it will come just before C2C is launched as a new game and will become #1 seller world wide

CreativeCaprine and Osk21 like this.
  11. Snofru1

Snofru1 Emperor

At which day of the year did you join CivFanatics, @Trantor ;)?

12. Trantor

Trantor Warlord

i started plaingwith civ call to power perhaps in 2005