1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What are the top 3 worst/weakest civs in your opinion?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Artifex1, Jul 9, 2011.

1. joyous_gard

joyous_gard Prince

LOL like your thread regarding "My tier-ranking of the civs ordered according to the pros opinions."

Numerous people came on to your thread and needed clarification on what "pro" meant and you never provided the definition. You basically just regurgitated other people's ideas whether it was correct or not. That was a terrible list and it took like 4 pages of posts to get it sorted out.

So maybe now you can define who the pros are and what their factual basis is for determining the ranking of the civs.

2. aatami

aatami Kuruth Urfarah, kuruth!

The topic, to my knowledge, was discussed in the thread... The answer is even in the original post.
    Also, if you know any better tier list, please point me to it. I'd also really like to hear some rationale on why the tier list was so terrible, and why the topic having many pages made it bad.

A lot of people found it good. If you do not agree with players like Bibor (the whole tier list was based on their opinions), I would suggest trying to provoke them instead of my self.

3. Jim Bro

Jim Bro Emperor of Quebec

IROQUOIS, OTTOMANS and the AZTEC. Germany would be my fourth choice and America probably my fifth.
    I haven't played with all civs and I haven't played post-patch with Germany so my choice is biased.

4. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

IMO the "weakest" civs now are just the ones that are too map-specific. England & Spain come to my mind...Polynesia & Danes are a bit more versatile. After the patch changes to Ottoman/Germany I think things are pretty well rounded in general. Also, America is fine. The minuteman promotion is useful for all your late game infantry units, and the tile buying discount is underrated in the early game. It lets you settle in ideal long-term locations and purchase the resource tiles in the 3rd ring instead of compromising your location to get the resources in the 2nd ring. That combined with the sight bonus means American should have the best city sites of any civ.

5. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I think the American UA is underrated because you can't quantify the sight advantage and put it out on a spreadsheet.

6. w a i n y

w a i n y Let's Play Deity!

Certain civs seem to keep coming in the bottom few, but the fact that there are lots of disagreements shows that most civs are good for particular playstyles. Of course, which civs are the best for particular victory types is a whole other question.

7. turtlefang

turtlefang Warlord

I don't think there are any really "weak" civilizations" post patch. They are a few I don't play just due to preference and some are a little too luck dependent for my taste so these are the three I would rank at the bottom:

1) England. If you get a map with little water, they have a real problem. And the AI doesn't do the naval thing well so its not a very fun civ even on a heavy water map. The challenge just isn't there.
    2) Spain. Just depends too much on whether you find wonders close enough and which ones. And if you find the Fountain of Youth next door, you roll the game.
    3) Rome. Again, no iron and your crying the blues. But if you have six to 12 iron, its a great civ. And for a builder, it's actually a good civ.

But a lot of the civs really depend on playing style. I'm not a big fan of the Mongols simply because I'm not a warmonger type - however, I have played them and for warmaking, they are a top tier civ.

I do think the American civ is under rated - it requires a different playing style than others. And Germany post patch is far better - but again, requires a much different start than most other civs.

8. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

Yep. The extra sight comes in handy quite frequently in different situations, but is difficult to quantify. You almost don't notice it until you play the next game as someone else and wonder why you can't see anything.

9. EnglandIsBoss

EnglandIsBoss Chieftain

I hate these 3!!
    1. Iroquois, they declared war in turn 20. AI broken?
    2. Sweden, They back stabbed me after I gave them gold (The resource). At least I eradicated them :).
    3. Spain, They where idiots at the very beginning of the game and denounced me a million times (Wild Exaggeration) and kept making allies with my enemies. I wiped the floor with them, though.

These 3 are the actual "Useless" ones.
    1. Greece, Despite hoplites being awesome, the city-state influence is useless.
    2. Siam, Food and culture are extremely easy to get, by the end of one game I made 750 culture per turn. Also, Again with city-state dependence?
    3. Polynesia, These buffs and the unit only help with early game, and units only work better in own territory with Moais.

10. Sclb

Sclb Emperor

Please stop necroing threads

11. HughFran

HughFran Prince

No need to bite his head off!! He is new and probably doesn't even know what necroing means!!

EnglandIsBoss, you might want to start a new thread as this one is pretty old!! Welcome to Civ Fanatics also :)