What are these hostile units spawning from my neighborhood district?

wgabrie

Chieftain
Sorry if this has been posted about this before, but I was unsure what to search for.

I was playing into the late game, a first for me because usually the lose movie plays before I get this far, but I had just built a neighborhood in one of my cities (I think it was my capital) and every few turns there would spawn some hostile units from this neighborhood, but I had no idea what was going on.

So, I first cleared them out, but to my surprise, a few turns later a new group of hostiles spawned in from that neighborhood.

So, I tried sending a spy to the neighborhood to protect it from foreign spy missions, but then, again, a few turns later the hostile units spawned in again.

Any idea what that was about? What are these hostile units spawning from my neighborhood district?

It's an espionage mission that one or more of your neighbors is using against you.

You're correct to place a spy there, but your spy is evidently too low a level to smoke out the enemy spy in your midst. You can improve your espionage defense with the Diplomatic district buildings + an Encampment. There are also civic cards that will help.

Good to know.

LOL, I thought because I researched Mass Media and built a wonder that my citizens were rioting because they were superstitious or something.

If you have a religion and are making apostles, you can save those who get Heathen Conversion to stay in Neighborhoods and immediately re-recruit those rebels into your army. And if you happen to gain Suzerainty in Yerevan, you can build Neighborhoods on purpose, as an alternative to Encampments :)

Any idea what that was about? What are these hostile units spawning from my neighborhood district?

Each time Spies successfully complete the Recruit Partisans mission on a Neighborhood, they pillage it. A pillaged Neighborhood cannot be target by that mission again. Do you repair it each time? Is the Neighborhood pillaged?

Another way Barbarian troops can appear within your empire is from having low Amenities. It happens on city with a lot of Population when going to war in the latter era due to War Weariness.

I simply do NOT understand this opinion I’ve seen voiced many times in the past.

it simply does not reflect my 3500h+ experience in the game.

I systematically build a neighborhood in just about every city of every game I play. I love my
cities big…

Do I get some partisans from time to time ? Yes I do, but it’s still quite rare considering. I have gone MANY many games
without a single occurence of this… I would even say the majority of my games

And when I get some, so what ? This is the end game, I have what it takes to easily defend against them… they rarely survive more than 2 turns, honestly, And if they pillage, I spend the 4-5 turns to fix it and it’s over.

I honestly don’t get the hate on the neighborhoods. They’re a must if you want to get your cities over 10 pop…

I don't build neighborhoods either unless I have a spy to put on them.
I guess I have bad memories of tanks spawning in my neighborhoods despite my empire having zero oil to build them (and counteract them). not sure how that works...

I simply do NOT understand this opinion I’ve seen voiced many times in the past.

it simply does not reflect my 3500h+ experience in the game.

I systematically build a neighborhood in just about every city of every game I play. I love my
cities big…

Do I get some partisans from time to time ? Yes I do, but it’s still quite rare considering. I have gone MANY many games
without a single occurence of this… I would even say the majority of my games

And when I get some, so what ? This is the end game, I have what it takes to easily defend against them… they rarely survive more than 2 turns, honestly, And if they pillage, I spend the 4-5 turns to fix it and it’s over.

I honestly don’t get the hate on the neighborhoods. They’re a must if you want to get your cities over 10 pop…
It changed like 2 years ago, and people are still gunshy about it.

It was SO bad it put many of us off building neighbourhood entirely. It was THAT bad.

I still get flashbacks about it, that's how bad it was.

It's an espionage mission that one or more of your neighbors is using against you.

You're correct to place a spy there, but your spy is evidently too low a level to smoke out the enemy spy in your midst. You can improve your espionage defense with the Diplomatic district buildings + an Encampment. There are also civic cards that will help.

Do encampments improve your espionage...?

Edit: Oh, sort of.
  • Spies operate at one level lower when targeting this city or cities with Encampments. (with a Consulate building)
I guess I've always overlooked that feature of Consulates, encampments never seem to be worth the hammers, except maybe one so I can make railroards.

Sorry if this has been posted about this before, but I was unsure what to search for.

I was playing into the late game, a first for me because usually the lose movie plays before I get this far, but I had just built a neighborhood in one of my cities (I think it was my capital) and every few turns there would spawn some hostile units from this neighborhood, but I had no idea what was going on.

So, I first cleared them out, but to my surprise, a few turns later a new group of hostiles spawned in from that neighborhood.

So, I tried sending a spy to the neighborhood to protect it from foreign spy missions, but then, again, a few turns later the hostile units spawned in again.

What!? You don't find it fun to have an enemy spy issuing bazookas to the malcontents in your suburbs every few turns!? Don't you recognize the ingenious verisimilitude of this mechanic!? You don't appreciate having to interrupt your world-building, and pursuing your various chosen policies and strategies, in order to attend to what's essentially the trash detail of cleaning up after a riot!?

Don't you realize that trashing an opponent's neighborhood 3 or 4 times is the surest path to victory, and the immortalization of your civilization!?

What's wrong with you!?!?!?

Top Bottom