1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What are we to make of violent video game rhetoric?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BvBPL, Jul 30, 2013.

1. illram

illram Deity

I have all sorts of theories on this sort of behavior, being an occasional COD online player myself I hear these kids all the time (they are just as bad online over the mic). I think one of the things that contributes to this is a sort of mob mentality where kids hear and read other kids saying these horrible things and they want to get in on the action, thinking its funny or cool or whatever, so there is a little bit of one upmanship going on.

2. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

What dismays me is how serious some people wan't to treat computer game "trash talk". It either shows a complete lack of understanding of what occurs in any video game, or it indicates an authoritarian desire to hold everybody responsible for every single utterance they ever make.

The 10-year-old kid held under $500K bail is a classic example.

3. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

To be fair, he's actually a 19 year-old adult.

4. Defiant47

Defiant47 Peace Sentinel

It was very interesting to see what the prepubescent mind can come up with in order to score as much "shock value" as possible. The cancer one was there, but I was also drawn to the slightly more realistic threats "hope you lock your doors at night".

I'm not going to be held responsible for such things any more than an average American is to be held responsible for the bombings in Boston. If people judge a group in this manner (i.e. based on the actions of a few), then those people have bigger issues, and will probably end up being racists or discriminatory in various fashions. All we need to do is remind them of the distinction between homogenous groups and reality.

5. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

Oops. You are right. I googled $500,000 bail. This story inadvertently came up and I thought they must be the same:

Lake County judge keeps 10-year-old’s bail at $500,000

6. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

Even if this were the case, I don't see that as a reason to not engage with either the people who would take video game diatribes as reflecting upon the greater gamer community nor with those who are vile and gross.

7. IdiotsOpposite

IdiotsOpposite Boom, headshot.

Now hold on right there. I'll admit to only reading the first post of the thread, but are you really taking a blog specifically for collecting rage posts and tweets, and only those, all into one place, and claiming this indicts gamers in general?

So then, according by your logic, even though capsaicin is a common food product used to give spice, if I concentrate it to full purity, it's lethal, so this therefore indicts capsaicin-containing food products in general, right?

Seriously, man, consider what you're working with. If you look for gamer fury, you'll find it. But you can't say that this is all gamers are, nor can you even make an estimate as to the percentage of gamers are actually like this, from a tumblr blog specifically named "gamer fury".

8. PhroX

PhroX Emperor

To be honest, I don't think this is so much a problem to do with gaming but a issue with people on the internet in general. I mean, people (including an MP) are getting rape threats on Twitter for having the audacity to want a woman's picture on a bank note (followed now by bomb threats for writing an article on how not to be a dick on the internet... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-23523539).

9. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Uh, are you sure there is no woman's picture on a british banknote already? o_O

And from the article there:

Jane Austen? ... Might as well campaign to have Rowling (author of Harry Potter) on a banknote.

10. PhroX

PhroX Emperor

There is currently (Elizabeth Fry on the fiver), but the notes are being changed in the near future, and the £5 note will feature Winston Churchill. A lot of people, quite reasonably, objected to the fact that no women would appear at all and there was a pretty big campaign led by the people mentioned in that article to ensure that the £10 (due to be changed as well) would have a woman on it. For this, they received rape threats.

edit: Oh yeah, just spotted what you meant (unless you were being inadvertently clever). :p Of course the Queen is on there, but this is referring to the back side which features a Briton who is considered to be worth commemorating.

She's widely regarded as one of Britain's finest and most endearingly popular authors, which seems like something worth celebrating (certainly more so than Churchill....). Rowling...maybe if Potter is still as well thought of in a century.

11. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Have you read any Austen? She is a seriously world-class writer.

12. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Pfft. She's not Greek, so how could she possibly be world-class? I mean, come on, Homer she's not.

13. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Ah, right.

Silly me! I was forgetting.

And Shakespeare too. Was he Greek, or not?

14. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

It's some kind of massive target for all manner of j*rkoff activism at the moment. I think the Wizards of the Coast "demon strategy" is probably the best response.

Basically they should just tone down the violence and sexy ladies for about five years until everyone loses interest and then continue on business as usual. By then they'll all want state mandated Veganism or some sh*t and won't have time to worry about video games for a few more decades.

It's not criticism that comes from an honest place BvBPL. It's compulsive activism and "revolutionary without a cause" of the worst sort. I don't believe the people currently besieging gaming are acting in good faith, so I don't respond in good faith. Appeasement just means they get some of what they want. My goal is to give them nothing. I want to laugh in their stupid faces and keep on rolling.

And yeah, some gamers are vile asses. We've all dealt with it for a decade or more organically without needing the state or a bunch of self-absorbed activists.

Anyhow, back to the squalid pit of angry 13-year-old boys that is DOTA 2.

Exactly this. Exactly.

This is part of what I just can't stand about politics and culture anymore. Pick token "representatives" of a "bad group" and just run. it. into. the. ground.

What can I do to stop these other gamers? Nothing. But I'm supposed to pay for it in the form of regulations, loss of anonymity, etc. Screw that running. I may lose the fight, but I'm not going to just give up and I'm never going to give the "improvements" in gaming culture my personal blessing.

15. Kyriakos

I am sad that already it was alluded that my dislike for Austen was supposedly down to her not being Greek :shake:

But i'll try to answer your question: she is no Sappho.

16. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

Dag, I was hoping this would be about violence in video games :(

As to this, yeah I'd call in the police to assess the threats. Track down and/or prosecute the more dangerous ones. This whole situation is obviously silly, but people are irrational and get worked up over ridiculous things. You should see me during any given Giants game.

As to violence in video games - I really don't like it. It's common because violence makes for very easy game mechanics and rules to model. It's the path of least resistance for developers, and violence/action historically sell well. That being said, I think it stifles innovation. While developers have made great strides in how they model and portray violence, nonviolent game mechanics have been more or less the same for years, if not decades. We still have the same old dialogue trees, the same old house customization mechanics, the same old good(nonviolent)/evil(violent) dichotomies. There really isn't a whole lot of nuance to it. So I'd obviously love to see that change, and games like Proteus, Cart Life, Papers Please (hell, even the vast majority of Minecraft) are really inspiring for the future of nonviolent games.

17. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

I was underwhelmed too. The way you guys are talking about it I was expecting to be really disturbed. I think they're just blowing off some steam and aren't really that serious.

18. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

It's illegal to send some of those messages by regular post, I don't see why it should be legal just because it's on the internet. People need to be better educated about the law. Some of those things are direct threats, others constitute harassment. That's illegal, plain and simple. We don't need more laws, we just need to enforce the ones we already have.

19. Kyriakos

^Yeah, some random person living in central Europe claiming he will bomb someone in the US seems perfectly plausible as a threat. Pretty much the same as one sending a regular mail somewhere in the vicinity he lives, paying for the mail to be sent, manually filling his details and address and so on. No crucial difference between the two actions at all.

20. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Why would he fill out his own details and address to send a letter by post? What a strange way of sending letters you have in Greece.

I agree that the internet makes it a hell of a lot easier to threaten and harass people though. Very good point.