1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] What are you doing with early governor promotions?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Deadly Dog, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Deadly Dog

Deadly Dog Warlord

Since the introduction of Secret Societies I've been able to get one, two or even or three early governor titles almost every game. Early as in before I've researched either State Workforce or Early Empire.

I've tried a few different strategies...getting Liang's bonus on my first builder, and her discount on my first district. But also I've taken Magnus with Provision before my first settler was built, also nice. Early Pingala was also handy: connoisseur was a nice culture boost to getting the 2 titles on the ancient era civic tree. Early Ibrahim with Head Falconer saved me from being eliminated very early once already too.

I realize of course this is going to be a common thing playing on epic speed, but I imagine even on standard speed people are getting early governor titles pretty reliably ahead of the titles awarded in the civics. So what are you doing with them?

I actually like it a lot, smooths out the early game and since CS bonuses are now reduced/gated seems balanced.

Myomoto likes this.
  2. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

Basically the same strats I used to do before, just earlier. I almost always start with Magnus + no-pop settlers. Usually I either go after pingala, amani, or liang next depending on what's around. With the extra titles I'll often also go for Magnus's +food from internal trade routes if I have the ability to spam out a lot of settlers (such as a high faith monumentality classical age)

3. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Reyna is very useful for expanding your second city's borders.

4. Solver

Solver Grumpy Civ beta tester

I've so far found it very powerful to put my first two governor titles into Liang. The extra builder charge on the first builder is a huge bonus, it means my fourth builder action can come so much earlier, improving a resource for my 2nd city or doing something else important. And Liang's district discount can help to found a religion, or get a head start on Great Scientist/General points, depending on my needs for the game. My usual pre-SS start is Magnus and Provision, and it's indeed nice to do that in time for the first Settler, but I think Liang might be stronger.

There's also an interesting opportunity to take Amani early, send her on a tour for early suzerainties in order to get extra era score, and ensure a Classical Golden Age, something that's worthwhile with Classical Age Monumentality being IMO the strongest bonus from the era system you can have.

5. Weraptor

Weraptor King

Amani suz / Pingala +100 % gp points for religion (can actually spec into something other than Moksha for a RV, yay) / Your standard Magnus-Liang-Pingala stuff but quicker

I feel like it gives you too much power in the early game in most cases, which sorta undermines my enjoyment. You know, free RNG stuff upon existing tons of free RNG stuff.

6. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Thats probably why it's a "mode" and not part of the main game. These modes are starting to feel like ideas they picked up off the cutting room floor just to give them a try. I like them, I just also see how exploitable they can be.

I like the Magnus with provision route. It makes it easy to spam settlers early. I might have to try Liang with the district discount, that'd be really good when you're trying to snag a religion on higher difficulty.

lotrmith likes this.
  7. Deadly Dog

Deadly Dog Warlord

I like the extra choice in those first 30 turns (epic speed) and the fact I now no longer luck into +2 culture/faith/science from a highly RNG-dependant free envoy but have an option for an early Pingala instead. Just before the Ethiopia pack I'd been mucking around with Terra starts as Ottomans to see what it was like with no early CS bonuses. Now I might go back to that failed venture and use SS mode solely to unlock Ibrahim early and give him both level 1 promotions before joining a secret cult.

So yeah between villages and meeting CS and now meteors and fertile disasters and free governor promotions it is making the game easier. But I prefer a governor title to say, a relic in terms of giving me something I can use with some choices. If the game is now easier overall I can see how that is disappointing for many as for me still plenty of room on deity level haha.

There should be some bad RNG stuff, and not just disasters. As in the days of yore when good huts sometimes popped this message: "You have unleashed a horde of barbarians!"

Datgingah and Weraptor like this.
  8. GunsGermsandSteel

GunsGermsandSteel Warlord

I could never see how Reyna would be better than Pingala/Magnus/Lilang. Extra tiles isn't that great early on since your pop is low.

On another note I am confused about Reyna. In G&S she has +3 for foreign trade routes passing through the city she is established in. Does 'passing through' include trade routes that originate in her city? I find the wording a bit strange.

Myomoto and lotrmith like this.
  9. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

The biggest question is whether you use one of those first couple to actually choose the society or not. If you delay picking the society, that gives you a ton of leeway early. Most of the time I feel that going 3x Pingala is so valuable early, since that can easily be +4 science and +4 culture which can be huge to push you forward.

10. Minou

Minou Prince

I really like Amani first. She can often help guarantee a Golden Age by bouncing around to a few City States where you have one envoy. Each stop reveals a chunk of the map, which often gives additional Era Score by revealing a Natural Wonder, another Civ, or a hut that you can reach. Plus, sometimes you end up revealing another city state and can jump her there next if you get an easy quest or have a spare envoy. Besides that, I am a pretty big fan of going for an early rush by sending the 4 CS Warriors plus a few of my own troops to hit an AI before T50.

After that I usually take Magnus and Pingula, and promote Pingula with the next few titles. Pingula plus Oracle is always tempting to me, even though I suspect I often waste too much production on Oracle that should go to military.

11. GunsGermsandSteel

I would've never thought of that! Cool idea. Going to try that in one of my games soon.

tedhebert likes this.
  12. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

I agree, unless I'm extremely growth starved, 3x Pingala and perhaps Amani to send off seems like the hands-down best start. That early culture just gets you so much faster to the tier 1 governments that it's probably fair to call Pingala imbalanced (in 95 % of my games, my first governor promotion will be the +1 culture from each citizen, because early culture is very scarce). The science from population is powerful but normally less game-deciding, because early science is much easier to come by. But the 100 % great person promotion is also one of the most powerful promotions - on any governor - imo., so basically that leaves Pingala with two of the best promotions and a very powerful third one right from the bat.

The only strong competitor for opener is Magnus x2 to get the chop boost and the settler promotion, but it seems to me that in most game, the settler promotion is not as valuable as it might appear in the early game. Unless you find yourself in circumstances where you can pump out settlers extremely fast very early (like classical monumentality coupled with extremely high faith income), my cities normally regain that population within a handful of turns, again unless I'm extremely growth starved. There are exceptions - for instance Maya and Russia definitely are likely candidates for an earlier-than-normal Magnus - but in general, I find it's a much better strategy to push back Magnus and start with Pingala.

On a sidenote, I find it quite disappointing that the governors are so poorly balanced. It may be subjective, but I end up using the same governors in roughly the same order in the vast majority of my games.

13. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

I think there is some balance to the governors, at least in that it appears there's a few strategies that can make sense. Nothing is quite as imbalanced as the old Magnus bonuses.

Although thinking about it, one other strategy that I wonder would be tempting would be to go Liang first to time her to be settled by the time you get your initial builder, and then swapping in a Magnus charge or two to get 4xsuper chops, rather than just 3x. It relies on you getting at least 2-3 early governor titles, which is certainly not impossible. You basically need to have a natural wonder nearby, and then not to fail the roughly 2/3 chance for each tribal village or CS you meet. Having 4 early strong chops certainly would be a massive boost for many strategies.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  14. GunsGermsandSteel

How often do you have 4 things to chop immediately around your capital? You can't chop jungle until you get bronze working... you'll

15. Jart

Jart Chieftain

I have been playing with Bull Moose Teddy and Reyna with Forestry management (This city receives +2 Gold for each unimproved feature. Tiles adjacent to unimproved features receive +1 Appeal in this city.) is a lot of fun.

16. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

There are games where you have 4 forests. Or like deer+forest is 2 chops from early techs.

But yeah, more likely it means you get 1 big chop + craftsmanship eureka, or like 2 improvement and 2 chops.

Oh yeah, as Bull Moose, Reyna+Forestry is an obvious one. Add in Earth Goddess, and you can get some beastly yields very early.

GunsGermsandSteel likes this.
  17. GunsGermsandSteel

This is honestly a really good reason to go Lilang early on. Get the eureka and chop something (settler, holy site, military unit etc)

18. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Honestly, is that in any way worth it? I mean, the Eureka is worth what, around 20 culture? How many turns will it take you to surpass that with Pingalas culture promotion? Yes obviously you keep and get the benefit of Liangs extra charge on subsequent builders also, but again, unless you plan to build many early builders, if it's the culture you're after, Pingala seems the hands-down better choice to me.

19. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

I've been feeling the same, it makes the early to middle game so much faster, and kind of allows you to beeline even harder which is already a problem civ has. I guess If I'm in the mood for a fast paced game SS are the way to play it. I hope the rest of the modes don't fast track the game so much and instead give you more to do in each era.

Myomoto and acluewithout like this.
  20. GunsGermsandSteel

Well, you are comparing a 2nd promotion to a 1st promotion. If you get the promotions in rapid succession as can happen in SS mode, then it be hard to argue against your point. However, if you are getting promotions at a more normal pace Lilang's 1st promotion is better than Pingala's (15/15%) and you're not just getting a eureka. You are also getting 3 improvements that boost your growth/economy.

kaspergm likes this.