What Are You Listening To (Classical Version)?

Wow, this thread was started 14 years ago...

It was created the year before I became a moderator, and was one of the threads I moved here, so the arts-related threads would be all together in a forum dedicated to the arts.

Sad to see that some of the videos aren't available anymore, or are geoblocked (seriously, geoblocking Canadians from classical music videos?! :huh:).

I'm sure Authentic Canadian Content is allowed.
Coo-roo-coo-coo-coo-coo!

I've never been into that kind of "comedy". And their map shows Newfoundland connected to the mainland. It isn't. It's an island.

Ok, I posted this piece also in the ot thread but I guess we can have it here too;

Amazing performance again by Gert van Hoef. The climax here is otherwordly and I finally appreciate the phrase ‘pull out all the stops’.

Ok, I posted this piece also in the ot thread but I guess we can have it here too;

Amazing performance again by Gert van Hoef. The climax here is otherwordly and I finally appreciate the phrase ‘pull out all the stops’.
To do all that from memory - memorizing it in mind and muscle-memory - would have taken a lot of hours of practice. I speak from experience, from all those Bach pieces I crammed into my memory for the Western Board of Music exams I took. I would have been allowed to use the sheet music, but I didn't want to get used to having a crutch like that. If I'd lost my place and didn't know instinctively where to go from there, I'd have been screwed. So I memorized all of it - every scale, every piece I had to play for those exams. And as the video shows, it's not only what the hands and fingers do, it's the feet - heel and toe. There's a reason he's wearing shoes like that - it's to make that heel and toe playing faster and easier, to stay on track.

Top Bottom