What Are You Listening To (Metal, Punk & Hard Rock Version)?

One of my favorite metal songs. The drummer thread got me thinking about this song. Hoglan is simply one of the best drummers around. It's a song about rape.

Link to video.

Why do those idiots at WMG and EMI insist on barring me from watching stuff on YouTube on copyright grounds? They only encourage mp3 torrent sharing by such idiotic behaviour.

The Sex Pistols - Holiday in the Sun.

Why do those idiots at WMG and EMI insist on barring me from watching stuff on YouTube on copyright grounds? They only encourage mp3 torrent sharing by such idiotic behaviour.

The Sex Pistols - Holiday in the Sun.

I wish every song ever made was made free, and that artists would get their cash through live playings and merchandise. :(

I wish every song ever made was made free, and that artists would get their cash through live playings and merchandise. :(
That's almost how it is with a lot of underground bands. They don't really expect to sell much music- although, obviously, they'd prefer if you buy it- and make their living (or semi-living) from gigs and merchandise. It's sort of accepted that only "proper" fans are a feasible source of income for alternative/underground musicians, so you should just try and cultivate a good core fanbase and not get your bollocks in a twist because a few (thousands :p) casual fans will listen to your stuff for free. That's not entirely new, either- people've been taping and burning albums for years, bit-torrenting has just allowed it to reach a level of ease and convenience so as to become more of a norm.

Mmm. Make the playings a little more expensive and the merchandise cost a little more and I think it will even itself out, especially with the ability to waaaaaaay more easily increase the fanbase.

I'm listening to:

Link to video.

If anyone cares!

Yorkshire accent and band...becoming strangely fascinated by that part of the country...
The farther north you go, the better the island gets.

Mmm. Make the playings a little more expensive and the merchandise cost a little more and I think it will even itself out, especially with the ability to waaaaaaay more easily increase the fanbase.
That's already becoming the case- my parents used to be punks, and the amount I pay for a gig and a shirt far outstrips what they did (acknowledging inflation). Few bands make very much money at all from album sales, so- as you say- the ability to distribute their music far more widely is ultimately beneficial to a lot of them. I'm pretty optimistic about a new model emerging- the old one was essentially derived from the mainstream, and is becoming increasingly irrelevant in a world where digital distribution- in all it's forms- is the norm.

That's already becoming the case- my parents used to be punks, and the amount I pay for a gig and a shirt far outstrips what they did (acknowledging inflation). Few bands make very much money at all from album sales, so- as you say- the ability to distribute their music far more widely is ultimately beneficial to a lot of them. I'm pretty optimistic about a new model emerging- the old one was essentially derived from the mainstream, and is becoming increasingly irrelevant in a world where digital distribution- in all it's forms- is the norm.

It has? Well, that's good. It means they're starting to compensate for it... Just makes it that much easier to cut the chord with the labels ;)

It has? Well, that's good. It means they're starting to compensate for it... Just makes it that much easier to cut the chord with the labels ;)
Well, indie labels usually aren't so bad- they do a decent job of publicising bands, helping with production/touring/etc. and tend to be pretty fair with their cut, so I can see there being a place for them in the future. The relationship is generally a bit more symbiotic, less employer-employee. It's the mainstream labels and their subsidiaries that tend to screw bands around, because they don't really have to care about them (I'm looking at you, Roadrunner!).

Suck My Kiss definitely is funk-hard rock, if not funk-metal.

The opening sounds identical to Guerrilla Radio!

To keep it legal:

Lacuna Coil - Our Truth

Top Bottom