1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What are you mad at evolution for?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Narz, Jun 12, 2017.

1. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I honestly just want a tail to smack people with

I wouldn't even care if I didn't have a tailbone. But I do, and it's a constant reminder that I have been weaseled out of a tail

yung.carl.jung and Owen Glyndwr like this.
  2. Gigaz

Gigaz civoholic

Why are my sex organs so close to my waste disposal? That's disgusting.

3. civvver

civvver Deity

Definitely metabolism and gaining weight. Although maybe evolution isn't to blame and technology is where we've gone too far beyond our evolution where we have such excess. I saw a stat the other day that the percentage of obese people since 1980 globally has tripled. 1/3rd of the entire globe is overweight now.

Also pointless bugs. At one point they were probably a food source but damn, insects are gross. Like why do ticks exist? There's a huge uptick (pun intended) in lyme disease cases in the past few years. It may be because it's being diagnosed a lot more, but ticks seem completely worthless. I get that mosquitos are food for bats and junk, and spiders do... something beneficial? I think? But what purpose do ticks serve besides spreading infectious disease and being disgusting?

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  4. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Everything has a niche in the ecosystem. Many of the problems you're talking about are consequences of human activity, not evolution.

5. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Stop eating so many carbs and sugars and you won't have that problem. Don't forget to exercise.

The problem isn't evolution, the problem is lifestyle.

6. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Wouldn't that make wearing pants a bit awkward? There would need to be a complete redesign of fashions, bathrooms, vehicles, furniture...

7. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I've never really been a fan of pants tbh

You do have a point that I am even now sitting on a chair that would probably not be able to accommodate my chair though

8. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

the food chain

9. shadowplay

shadowplay (boss music)

Where our wings at?

10. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

Ticks are pretty easy to deal with as long as you take proper precautions. Wear long pants, avoid walking through tall grass (stay on trails when you go hiking, ya dinguses!), and check yourself thoroughly when you get home. For my family - one which was out hiking literally every weekend come springtime - ticks were only ever a real problem for our dog, who delighted in breaking every rule I just listed above.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  11. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

yeah, ticks and fleas

what critters like eating them?

uh oh, I was just complaining about a food chain and I'm using it to get rid of ticks and fleas

12. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

Where else would you put them?

13. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

Supplanting a comforting teleology and replacing it with a grim directionlessness.

14. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton How much Parmesan to put on your umbrella?

Some organisms don't. Why does the human one have to?
    It takes 20 years or so for the body to start to decompose. Why can't, what prevents it in those 20 years, prevent it in general, for everyone?
    If a tiny sperm of mine an a tiny egg of someone else is enough substance for a new whole human, surely an already existing body can also reproduce enough to not just decompose.
    As I understand, our bodies are just not designed that way. But they absolutely could. It would, however, lead to a higher energy demand. Which would have been a problem, some years ago. But not now, that is the point. At least not for me and others.

15. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

So you'd rather be a nonsentient blob drifting around in the sea?

16. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Biologically it totally can. Ageing is actually a built-in defect that is intended to kill you. The point being, obviously, to allow for population renewal, and as such adaptation to changing environment. There probably have had immortal creatures in the beginning (in fact I'm pretty sure many unicellular organisms don't age at all), but they simply have been evolved out by their competition, hence only species able to adapt are still around at the macro level, and they could adapt because they renew through automated dieing with aging.

17. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton How much Parmesan to put on your umbrella?

Beats being a sentient blob drifting around.

18. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

19. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

Evolution tends to be a bit slow but then I think with the speed the deadlines of it would increase so I guess its quite alright.
    Well there is one thing actually. I am not a big fan of "dark ages".

20. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Why did pine beetles have to exist? They're killing whole sections of forest in Jasper National Park, which adds to the risk of forest fire. :mad: