What are you mad at evolution for?

Sure, but McDonald's isn't even a restaurant.
Technically, it is. They sell food, which you can either get "to go" or you can sit there and eat it.

It's not particularly nutritious, but it'll do. There are times when I crave a cheeseburger and coke or (in the winter) a hot chocolate. The local one is in Walmart, so they don't sell everything the standalone ones do, but considering my favorite Chinese restaurant in the mall closed, it's not like I can go there and get a meal to go.

Yeah technically it's a restaurant, but in everyday speech if I ask someone "Hey wanna go out to a restaurant for dinner?" 99% of the time they won't think I have a fast food joint in mind.

So in my mind the word "restaurant" has two meanings. The precise literal definition that includes all eateries, and the everyday speech definition, which leads people to assume 20-40 minute wait times, waiters, and tipping.

I don't really mind McD's from time to time. Every once in a while I crave a bigmac

Yeah, I get the different connotations. I wouldn't refer to a kiosk as a restaurant, for example, or a food court. Sure, there may be places to sit nearby, but they're not necessarily for the particular place where you get the food. The lunch kiosk at the library isn't exactly a restaurant, but it could be called one, since it provides soups, sandwiches, small pizzas, hot dogs, squares, muffins, cookies, and an assortment of coffee, tea, juice, and pop. There's chips and chocolate bars for people who just want a quick junk food fix.

For me, lunch there is usually soup, a cookie, and pop or juice (and maybe a sandwich to take home and have later). If I'm there in the morning, I might get a carrot or banana loaf (miniature ones).

I don't really enjoy sit-down restaurants anymore. I'd rather just order over the phone or online, have it delivered, and then I don't need to worry about my "company manners" or what I'm wearing.

For instance, I got an email coupon today for 50% off online pizza orders. I think I'm going to take advantage of that, since one pizza is enough for several meals.

Full bore biowarfare against a mammal has me both impressed and a shade uneasy of the inevitable unintendeds.
Doesn't look like it's had much effect long term.

And let's not forget this is because of a mammal (unbelievably successful elsewhere anyway) that was introduced to a continent with few natural predators.

I mean, an inevitable unintended was its introduction to Australia in the first place.

I thought some areas of Europe were struggling to keep their indigenous bunnies a thing.

Either way yar, the bunnies will adapt to the 2017 control and rebound resistant as they did before, it's just whether or not you break anything in the meantime accidentally. Such is the way of things I suppose! Still skurry tho.

Rabbits are so stupid. One keeps coming into my backyard even though it's one of the only backyards around with a dog in it. You'd think that the rabbit would pick up on the dog's scent and stay away.. but nope, it keeps coming back.

It also sets up its nest right in the middle of the yard, in a wide open part that's visible from everywhere.

I swear the only reason rabbits still exist is because they're sex addicts

Dog smell probably keep foxes, coyotes, cats, and the like at a lower tic. Your yard very well may be about the safest. Rabbit camouflage seems to consist largely of sitting still and pretending they aren't there. Kinda works too, I've seen a dog run right past and lose a rabbit that did nothing but get to a patch of grass and sit down.

That could be true. It takes a very fast dog to catch a rabbit.

Greyhounds can certainly do it. But not your average pooch.

Interesting discussion regarding body odor. I never realized I was so blessed. Mine is fairly subtle and smells like hazelnut, especially the pits. My girlfriend actually goes crazy for the smell, I don't know why she likes it so much. She has the pickiest nose in the world and even the slightest stank can leave her choking. I have a pretty decent sense of smell, too, but the things she picks up on are incredibly. In a blind test she managed to tell apart five different brands of green tea and sort them by price (!) correctly.

Evolution did all that !
It is us messing it up

• We have our own bacteria that do not stink, but ensure that all food for bacteria is eaten up adequately, and by that ensure that contact infections of other bacteria cannot boom into a big population
  • Our skin is maintained by our sweat at a lightly acidic level, which inhibits to fast growth of bacteria
  • We use sweat to transport all kind of (hormonal) signal substances aimed at being smelled by fellow humans that do smell attractively
However
  • We wash that nice system away with alkaline soaps (and often do not rinse well enough to remove really all the soap)
  • We do not sweat enough right after washing
  • We use sweat surpressing stuff like Al oxides in deodorants
  • We (westerners) are most of the time at a too low level of Vit D, because of not enough sun, and Vit D does a lot of needed metabolism against the wrong bacteria.
  • etc

I guess the fact that I rarely (ever) use soap kind of helps with smell then? I prefer a shower being just water, and short. Sometimes cold.

Point in case: My dad showers like once every other week and he barely smells at all. Weird how that works. He does physical labour in the sun every day.

My sweat smells exactly like pistachio ice-cream. True story.

Oh. And my earwax tastes of foie gras.

In fact, I'm thinking of harvesting all my bodily secretions, spreading them on miniature crackers and selling them on as amuse-bouches.

Anyone care to sample a selection?

Dog smell probably keep foxes, coyotes, cats, and the like at a lower tic. Your yard very well may be about the safest. Rabbit camouflage seems to consist largely of sitting still and pretending they aren't there. Kinda works too, I've seen a dog run right past and lose a rabbit that did nothing but get to a patch of grass and sit down.

Yeah, you're right, each time I spot the rabbit it's just sitting there still, its ears out high.

Should I buy some fox urine and spray it around or something? The problem is that we continue patching up holes that the rabbit comes in through, so eventually there will only be 1 way in/out. And the dog isn't as fast, but it's pretty damn fast, and the rabbit's other main advantage is several ways of getting out if it needs to.. So it seems that one day the dog could very well get him..

No clue! I use a .22 when something's gotta go. An air rifle or hunting slingshot would do for a rabbit in town(depending on local legality, I have no idea how that works were you are). Do you not want the dog to catch it as you patch up the holes?

Last edited:
My sweat smells exactly like pistachio ice-cream. True story.

Oh. And my earwax tastes of foie gras.

In fact, I'm thinking of harvesting all my bodily secretions, spreading them on miniature crackers and selling them on as amuse-bouches.

Anyone care to sample a selection?

Biscuits for the sweat please

What? You want to give me biscuits in return for my sweat?

Hmm. I'll consider it. What sort of biscuits are you offering?

:nono: biscuits with the sweat, crackers with the earwax

What are you proposing? Dunking biscuits in my sweat?

I think wafers would be more appropriate, myself.

We're talking a high-end gourmet experience here, after all.

Two strigils' worth with my bread, please.

Spoiler :

Top Bottom