What are you working on?

Yes - I have to run out but we use the same factory unit for every city in the game in OTR. You basically have to specify the factory unit at such and such coordinates, with such and such home city.

At some point this long weekend ill grab the code for how to do this for you and explain where it would go. It might take a little due to the holiday.

As long as you want one type of unit to destroy one type of improvement, the system will work fine for you "as is."

@techumseh what features do you want? This discussion reminded me that I should implement strategic bombing for the scenario template, and I might as well accommodate any specific use cases you have.

My plan for how it will be used is thus:

1. Overall Features
Each improvement subject to strategic bombing will have a unit type associated with it to act as a target, as well as an option to change terrain type when the improvement is built and when the target is destroyed. Multiple improvements will be allowed to use the same unit type as the target, if the designer chooses.

2. Target Locations
I plan to have 2 different systems for choosing the locations to place targets and change terrain.

First is the "Over the Reich" system, where the designer goes through each city, and decides the location of each target and terrain modification for each city and improvement. I plan to write a script to let the designer generate this code within the game, rather than copying tile coordinates and writing similar tables over and over by hand.

Second is to give each tile near the city a 'weight', and the tile with the best weight gets the target and terrain changes. The designer could give different weight to different terrain types, whether the tile is worked, or the distance from the city. If there is any factor that you think might be useful to someone, please post it.

The biggest pain in the butt is generating the tables, so to the extent that you can pregenerate the locations would be outstanding.

I'd ask that one be able to exclude terrain types (such as ocean), but perhaps that's what you meant by weight.

The other thing I'd like to see is a way to only have to use 1 unit type, if one wants, but have it represent multiple improvements. So, one could just use 1 unit slot for "strategic target" and get multiple improvements out of it. This would have saved 8 to 11 unit slots in OTR.

Just to clarify, I'm just doing some forward thinking at the moment. I'm building the scenario with Macro events, and when it's finished and tested, I'd like to covert it and add a couple of features that Lua can support. This is what I hope is possible:

Production of Japanese units will be limited to cities in Japan (6 on the map), plus Kiejo (Seoul) in Korea, Taihoko (Taipei) in Formosa, and Mukden and Harbin in Manchuria, for a total of 10 production cities. Captured cities in China will only be able to build 'resource' (trade) units.

Different cities will have different improvements which allow specific units to be built. Barracks will allow construction of specialized units (Special Naval Landing Force, paratroops and Guards units). Shipyards will allow naval units to be built. Arsenals will allow tanks, artillery and AA units. Aircraft Factories will allow (guess what) type units. And Recruitment Centres will allow infantry, cavalry and garrison units. Cities in Japan proper, will have 2 improvements: a recruitment centre and one other. Cities outside Japan will have just one, not including a recruitment centre.

Each of these cities will contain one or two factory units. When the first one is destroyed, that city's specific improvement is lost (not the recruitment centre). If there's a second factory and if it's also destroyed, the recruitment centre is then destroyed.

I only have one unit slot available for a single factory unit, so I hope this can still be accommodated without the need for an individual unit type corresponding to each improvement type. Thanks.

Operation Olympic / Downfall, btw?

Nope, just China. Big Red offensive in Manchuria at the end, though.

I, myself, am making a final putsch to finish Empire of the Rising Sun (which, of course, has gotten expansions and reevaluations of many things). @JPetroski mentioned the @isHuman feature in LUA, so I may also try to set up playability as, at least, a U.S. and British/Commonwealth POV player as well being possible.

Back onto completing the massive events and Lua text work for Overlords. Once this is done, and tested, it will be foundation to make the Nation-centric versions for all the civs.

I had asked on Discord, but this looks like a good in, too, to inquire. Why was your Overlords thread locked? A quick glance over the last several posts doesn't seem to make that apparent.

@isHuman feature in LUA, so I may also try to set up playability as, at least, a U.S. and British/Commonwealth POV player as well being possible.

One does need to plan out events a bit to use isHuman effectively but basically you're going to have certain events that you want to fire regardless of who is playing, and then you can have other events (or even certain consequences of an event) fire with an isHuman check.

So for example you might have, say, the fall of Okinawa always have flavor text, but if the Allies are human, you want to reinforce Japan. If the human is the Japanese, you probably don't.

I do think you might want to just start with getting Japan going because adding this isn't the end of the world after you have a version of the events finished. You'd just have subset if statements within your event and these can easily be added later.

I just want to say welcome back to @Patine and if you’d like any feedback on your scenario I’d be happy to contribute in what way I can. :)

And your enthusiastically saluting avatar image is a nice touch to that post! :p

Thank-you, greatly. :)

I, myself, am making a final putsch to finish Empire of the Rising Sun (which, of course, has gotten expansions and reevaluations of many things). @JPetroski mentioned the @isHuman feature in LUA, so I may also try to set up playability as, at least, a U.S. and British/Commonwealth POV player as well being possible.

I had asked on Discord, but this looks like a good in, too, to inquire. Why was your Overlords thread locked? A quick glance over the last several posts doesn't seem to make that apparent.

I answered on Discord, and will answer here too. The current thread is the real playtest
for the current version. I wanted a new thread, rather than tediously re-tool the old one.

Hope that illuminates it for ya. :)

I answered on Discord, and will answer here too. The current thread is the real playtest
for the current version. I wanted a new thread, rather than tediously re-tool the old one.

Hope that illuminates it for ya. :)

It does, indeed. The playtest thread had just sunk a bit on the index when I first logged back in, and I didn't immediately notice it.

The new ToTPP version 18 is going to be a big game changer for we creators...The higher unit battle-speed setting is mental!

I took it from 64 ms, to 12 ms...And the battles are fast and frenzied. :)

It definitely is, Curt! The curve is pushed yet again! Not bad for a game a little over a quarter century old! :borg:

And, I have to keep remembering that, in British lingo, "mental," means, "crazy," or, "insane." :crazyeye:

I'm working on...catching up after so many years absent from the Civ2 world! Delighted to find out about ToTPP and Lua, this brings the scenario making possibilities to levels never imagined before! Hi all, lots of familiar names still around :grouphug:

Top Bottom