What Are Your Biggest Criticisms of Civ VI Maps?

blackbutterfly

Emperor
1. 1 Tile Lakes
On a TV program about artificial lakes produced by the Communists as a result of nuclear testing, i found out in nature rarely do you have perfectly round lakes, like those 1 tile lakes in Civ VI maps. I think it was added in an update (Indonesian DLC?)

---
I'm not sure I will have much opportunity for modding anymore, as my holiday is almost over, and I may have to return to real life. But we can contribute some ideas for map modders.

Last edited:
That there aren't enough of them--more variety would be nice! Happy even to play maps with different rules sets that aren't quite scenarios but more open-ended. Age of Empires II's Conquerors expansion had that with one of its patches (including a map where each side began with a hero Robin Hood, and a map where riches were centralized on a massive island with dangerous wolves etc).

Random continental boundaries. I'd like they stuck to the landmass boundaries more, and where they had to cross through a landmass, there could be at least a corresponding mountain ridge or a valley of some sort or whatever, what happens when continental plates collide or drift apart.

Also, Terra map script. In Civ V Terra map makes zero sense, but it is present there, in Civ VI Terra map would be very fitting, but... where is it?

Civ VI Terra map would be very fitting, but... where is it?

There's much to be desired from the standard map scripts. Pangaea, continents and Island Plates. Maybe that's why there wasn't a good enough Terra script in development.

Beyond Earth has the best Civ map scripts including its equivalent of the Terra script. (One of the Exoplanets).

That Pangaea maps sometimes has continents that are stuck to the edge and you can got get around with a ship.
Too many obstacles for movement on the map (or allow more units to move faster)

Spawn locations are too close to each other.

Start locations got the first and only Hotfix from Firaxis so that's how important it is.

Again I point out how Beyond Earth had a map size (the max.) which had lots of space to expand to, but I think civs still spawned quite close to you just to troll you! :lol:

Look at the half a dozen mods that fix this including Caps lock by @BWS

I’d like a map with big continents and small continents and islands. I’d also then like the ability to choose to start on an island. I don’t always want to start on an island, but when I do, it’s a pain that I can’t choose that.

I’d also like some way to have an old world new world set up. But that’s more than just a map - it would require the new world to be populated by new world civs - either more advanced “barbarians” or normal civs with a later start.

But that’s more than just a map - it would require the new world to be populated by new world civs - either more advanced “barbarians” or normal civs with a later start.

Again Beyond Earth had this thing called Staggered Starts. Just a simple translation into Civ VI would've been great. In fact it would be more meaningful in Civ as some leaders are modern and suit later starts. IDK if this is easy to mod or not RN.

Prolly not TBH.

Also, Terra map script. In Civ V Terra map makes zero sense, but it is present there, in Civ VI Terra map would be very fitting, but... where is it?
Parts of YnAMP:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/terra-map.623231/

I’d also like some way to have an old world new world set up. But that’s more than just a map - it would require the new world to be populated by new world civs - either more advanced “barbarians” or normal civs with a later start.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/historical-spawn-dates.614266/

That there aren't enough of them--more variety would be nice! Happy even to play maps with different rules sets...

I hope you have played my maps. I made a ton of them and spent 1000s of hrs of fun play (testing!) them.

Scrambled Australia was my first proper map for Civ VI.

I think continents are sometimes too big. Like you could zoom out all the way out and then even go left or right, press the continents lens and you could only see one continent. Some continents are absolutely giant sized.

I'd like to see continent splits more often.

The lack of a lakes map and an archipelago map especially. But the general lack of diversity. Tried a mod map for archipelago and got a continent as big or bigger than a continents map. Kept cussing with each new civ found on a huge map without having to sail at all. Was on a huge map, which I always play, and had 8 civs on one GIANT land mass. :mad: Loved earlier civ games arch maps where you had to sail to explore and found new areas. Love exploration and often play inland lakes maps and such.

Random continental boundaries. I'd like they stuck to the landmass boundaries more, and where they had to cross through a landmass, there could be at least a corresponding mountain ridge or a valley of some sort or whatever, what happens when continental plates collide or drift apart.

This so much.

I have huge problems with the design of the tiles. In my opinion the woods and rainforest tiles are ery sparse, while civ V had these huge dense forests. It's really immersion breaking for me. Also, I miss the different styles for tiles like the European, African and American tile variations from civ V. Civ vi's maps are just so ugly.

I like Civ VI visually most of the time. But... the map, and cities in particular, lack some density or sprawl sometimes. Cities (visually) need to burst out of their hexes more. But further to @Hawke9, woods have a similar problem - not dense enough, and too constrained by their hexes.

Mountains are also a bit samey. They should very in height a bit more, and not just when you get a natural wonder.

My biggest issue with maps is just that they're so empty. Partly it's because the AI doesn't expand that much. But it's also because there isn't really anyone but AI to fill the map in the first place - City States only occupy one city and barbs and goody huts. The maps are so empty, it sometimes feels like you're playing some post-apocalypse board game rather than a "civilisation" game.

There should be tribes of people, villages, towns, all over the map and as cities expand they get subsumed (maybe they turn into farms). There's been discussions before about making barbs more interesting or expanding into new Civs and things ... but even if FXS didn't do something like that, just visually having pre-existing people on the map and having them get swallowed up by your expanding borders would be cool even without any game mechanics tied to it.

The empty map and uncluttered cities really bug me. IRL our world is packed with people. We don't really leave space spare.

Top Bottom