what are your favorite civics?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Yzman, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Yzman

Yzman Deity

Right now, I am trying a more warlike approach then I usually do and vassalage, theocracy and heredity rule are suiting me quite well. What are your favorite civics to use?

2. trotskylite

trotskylite Warlord

i usually find myself using bureaucracy for the majority of the game

3. Lord Chambers

Lord Chambers Emperor

If you're going to ask this you'll want to find out what settings people are playing under. For instance, Bureaucracy makes less sense on a huge map than a small one.

4. trotskylite

trotskylite Warlord

my computer doesn't fare well on anything larger than standard, so yeah.

5. asmodeus81

asmodeus81 Chieftain

I turned around a bad game pretty quickly (had major problems with my economy and due to that was falling behind in scientific progress which I solved with a couple of large wars) when I started running Police State, Vassalage, Emancipation, Sate Property, and Organized Religion. Which seemed like a good mix of military bonuses and production/development bonuses.

6. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

I play large/huge.
    GOVERNMENT
    I like Hereditary Rule or Representation, though police state has its uses, but rarely mess with it. Universal Sufferage, I dont really use much.
    LEGAL
    Vassalage is very nice when mixed with Theocracy for +4 exp for units made WITHOUT barracks and +8 for those that are built in a military city making your units superior to most. Even more after just 1 battle.
    Never use Bureaucracy.
    Nationhood can be a quick way to get ready for a 'sudden' war. Though I have yet to put it in effect.
    I mostly bounce between Free Speech and Vassalage. Depends on the game and when in the game.
    LABOR
    Serfdom for early game (Slavery for early early game) then go emancipation when I am pretty much done upgrading my main initial area.
    ECONOMIC
    State Property, if large in size.
    If small, I just see which one would help the most by saving...anarchy....change.
    RELIGION
    Free religion is the way I prefer but Theocracy and Organized Religion have their uses. Never use pacifism myself.

7. Kylearan

Kylearan compound eye

Hi,

That completely depends on my long-term plans and the current situation and needs. For example, when I try to go for a cultural victory (see new report on my site), I'll adopt civics like free speech, pacifism, and caste system. But I won't do this for the whole game - if I get attacked and think the attacker poses a serious threat, I might switch to more war-like civics like theocracy or nationhood temporarily, then switch back after the war. I also might use slavery in the beginning, and state property later on if my empire gets really large.

Bottom line: I don't think this question can be answered so easily, which makes the game a lot of fun. :)

-Kylearan

8. mikh07

mikh07 Chieftain

well the ones i use often are bureacracy and serfdom

9. Kudos

Kudos Warlord

I use hereditary rule ALOT. I find it solves 2 problems: I don't need to spend any money on culture and so it saves money and pushes more science and it encourages me to build an army which I usually end up neglecting.

10. weimingshi

weimingshi Prince

The civics I USE largely depends on the happiness level of my empire. I play on huge map and leader is qin, finacial. If I'm able to get most happy resources and a few religion in my cities, happiness is not much a problem, then I go with universal suffrage, freespeech, caste system, stateproperty and pacifism. Universal suffrage is easy, its good when you have lots towns and when you have lots towns you have lots gold, with those gold i can hurry production in all my cities, nothing takes more then 3 turns to build, even in the poorest city. Freespeech adds more money and double culture. I only go with caste system if my happiness is high, because the emancipation penalty is very high at emperor level. caste system allows unlimited artist which generate huge culture. State property is a no brainer, I got loads watermill. And pacifism for the double great person point.

I don't really find vassalage and theocracy very important, cause half my army is produced by my military city, barrack+west point+pentagon= level 4 unit right out of the gate. vassalage and theocracy don't change much. If my cottages hasn't fully developped into town, i would go with emancipation, also if happiness is not high, I have to stay with emancipation. And if i'm really low on happiness, I will go free religion too.

11. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

I tend to go with Organized Religion / Bureaucracy / Representation (If I built the pyramids) / Serfdom in the early-mid stages of the game, and, later on, switch to Organized Religion/Universal Suffrage/Freedom of Speech/State Property/Emancipation once I start having lots of cities and my cottages are well along in the growing up (ie, the older ones are at town so get +1 Shield +2 Gold, and the more recent ones can really use the doubled growth rate).

12. AnotherJon

AnotherJon Chieftain

Representation when not at war.

13. UknowsI

UknowsI Nybygger

Universal Suffrage + Free Speach = You Have Won if you have enough towns. If I play defencive I usually try to get the pyramids so I wont have to research Universal Suffrage. Emancipation and ecology are also very good, but the outcome of the game is usually clear before you research those.

With war, it's a whole other matter, then I'll of course go for the war civics, Police State, Vassalage and any oher I find fitting.

But often I continue playing with the starting civics quite far into the game, depends on what I want to do, but for many strategies the starting civics are just fine.

14. Corlindale

Corlindale Emperor

Depends alot on the situation, which is why I like spiritual leaders.
    If I find myself with only a few cities and a very productive capital, I go with bureaucracy.
    If I want to focus on Great People and have a Philosophical leader, I use Representation, Mercantilism and Pacifism.
    If I've been focusing on cottages for city development and have a financial leader, I go with Univ. Suffrage, Emancipation and Free Speech.
    If I need my cities to grow faster, I use Environmentalism.
    If I need one or more wonders done quickly, I go with Organized Religion.
    If I need to rush something and don't have the cash, a few turns of slavery can be nice.

For my recent games I've been running Representation/Buraucracy/Emancipation/Market/Pacifism most of the time.

15. Vraslosken

Vraslosken Warlord

Bureaucracy is KING! I enjoy having a capitol powerhouse.