What are your favorite unique units

civmaster17

Chieftain
Which unique unit do you like or think is the best

I would have to say the jaguar

Chis and longbows awesome two

Siege towers too

B17s & Panzers wreck all that cross it's path.

Idk.. the Comanche riders could plunder a lot more land with mobility promotion which makes it a good unit but other units like the great galleass don't get slowed down by great wall.

Shoshone Pathfinder - Removes Goody Hut Randomness, Powerful Early Unit, Upgrades to a Composite Bowman (roll him by a CS and Demand Tribute before they have a Worker.)

Sea Beggar is the best naval UU, better than the Ship of the Line, at least in my opinion. It has supply off the bat, which lets it heal anywhere, and with an armory you can get straight to Logistics. The Ship of the Line is stronger, is faster with the English UA, and can see a bit more, but id rather have a double attacking healing city taker.

Sea Beggar is the best naval UU, better than the Ship of the Line, at least in my opinion. It has supply off the bat, which lets it heal anywhere, and with an armory you can get straight to Logistics. The Ship of the Line is stronger, is faster with the English UA, and can see a bit more, but id rather have a double attacking healing city taker.

The problem is, Sea Beggars are melee ships. Even though they can take cities, unlike the SOTL, they're MUCH harder to keep alive, even starting with Supply.

Sea Beggars are very good, if used properly. Get an armory, get Coastal Raider 3 and Blitz. Then you get a lot of gold when bashing them against cities. get 4, switch them out when they are low. frigate support is neccessary but you dont need as many.

The problem is, Sea Beggars are melee ships. Even though they can take cities, unlike the SOTL, they're MUCH harder to keep alive, even starting with Supply.
With logistics, which gives you another attack, you can retreat away, so it has decent survivability.

Panzers, particularly with the Autocracy's Lightning War policy. I'm a fan of the Atlatlist, too. You can pull off some pretty quick Atlatlist/Spearman rushes by going straight mining>bronze working.

So far I have to say my favourite UU is Shoshone's Pathfinder. The selection option for ruins just sets you off so well. If you're familiar with mechanics but new to a higher difficulty setting; I recommend testing the water with the Shoshone until T150 or so and see how you're doing. It's a solid litmus test.

In close second place is the Berber Calvalry; Morocco is just a titan at turtling with those guys out.

Keshiks are hands-down the best UU in the game. Even without a Khan, they are untouchable. They are only limited by: horse resources, tiles to "dance", and how fast pikeman/longswords can catch up to them because they can't cap cities.

Their only real counter is lancers, which is much further down the tree. Also, it requires almost as many lancers as keshiks to make a difference. Sending one or two lancers is suicide against a "horde".

Disregarding the Keshik, I'd say the minuteman, longbowman, chokunu, jaguar, and janissary are all very solid UUs in their own right but also carry their special abilities once they are upgraded. This is very important. Also, the best time to war is mid-game and all but the jaguar come at that time. Furthermore, all those units except for the jaguar can be upgraded and immediately get the UU bonus. As an example, you get longswords with ShockIII and march and then upgrade to minuteman and you have a monster. I guess the jaguar gets included here because their special abilities are above and beyond everything else. Whenever I'm Aztec, I make sure to gets out at least 5-7 of them just to upgrade them.

Top Bottom