1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What are your favourite movies?

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by Vahnstad, Oct 25, 2017.

1. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

Blade Runner
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Drive
    The Place Promised in our Early Days
    A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night
    Amelie
    In The Mood For Love
    Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
    A Clockwork Orange
    Arrival

Not in any particular order, lots of praise and quibbles with all, but I guess that'd be my top ten right now.

EgonSpengler likes this.
  2. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

A contender for Worst Marketing Campaign of All Time. The trailers made it look like an action-thriller, like an R-rated The Fast & the Furious; half the people who saw it hated it, and we'll never know how many people would've liked it but didn't bother.

I've never even heard of this one before.

This has been in my queue for ages.

I need to revisit these. I remember liking them a lot, but that's about all I can remember of them.

3. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

Yeah, and watching the trailers to this day is wild. It got a lot more popular overtime. Lots of network TV showings (although the edit is an absolute hack job, they even shorten the very last scene and it removes all the tension). But by the time Refn's next film came out he did a fitting trailer (imo the trailer for Only God Forgives is legit one of the best movie trailers literally ever). Drive has a lot of popularity these days, to the point where now it has pushback against said popularity.

Anime film by Makoto Shinkai, probably my favorite animated director in the world. He did Your Name, which is Japan's highest grossing movie ever, animated or otherwise, but this is an earlier one of his and my personal favorite.

It's great. Stylish and sexy and full of attitude. I highly, highly suggest avoiding the director's 2nd film, The Bad Batch. It is easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and one of the few films I wouldn't hesitate to call utterly worthless. My friend called it an art crime. The director also has some character issues which is too bad because she seemed to be a big time up and comer.

I'm not sure I'd like Amelie as much as I used to but it influenced my writing for a long time so I had to include it, and it's just so gosh darn charming and likeable and French and romantic. For the longest time I actually preferred Wong Kar Wai's Chungking Express more than In The Mood For Love, but in re-watching them recently I think the ending for the latter just puts it over the top. He has a ton of fantastic movies though. 2048 is great. Fallen Angels is inconsistent and weird but oftentimes brilliant.

4. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

I could do a whole Wong and Jeunet film festival, if I had the time. Wong Kar-Wai was one of those directors I followed anywhere back in the '90s. I fell out of touch with him, though. I haven't seen Days of Being Wild, As Tears Go By, Ashes of Time, or Happy Together in 20 years, and I still haven't seen My Blueberry Nights or The Grandmaster.

Jeunet had that amazing run of Delicatessen, City of Lost Children, Amelie and A Very Long Engagement (no one will blame you if you put your thumb over Alien: Resurrection - I do). I think I actually liked A Very Long Engagement even more than Amelie when I saw it, but I'd have to watch them back-to-back to split that hair today. Likewise, Chungking Express and Fallen Angels.

5. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

Delicatessen was great. Sort of anachronistic now, certainly things in it wouldn't fly in the year 2018 without a ton of cultural/social media pushback, but so creative and fun. Musical saws for life.

6. Imaus

Imaus Chieftain

Mad Max: Fury Road. Mad Max and Mad Max:The Road Warrior are also great. The Rover, Threads and Turbo Kid are also post-apoc gems.

Unforgiven, The Wild Bunch, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Ballad of Cable Hogue, True Grit, 3:10 to Yuma, Open Range, Bone Tomahawk, and Tombstone are my favorite westerns.

The Siege of Jadotsville, Area 88, Shake Hands with the Devil, and Beasts of No Nation are good post-ww2 war movies.

Paths of Glory and Captain Conan are my Great War fix.

Aliens and The Martian for Scifi.

7. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Warlord

12 Angry Men (1st version)
    Akira Kurosawa's Dreams (for the sheer beauty of Foxes Wedding and The Orchard)

The Hour of the Pig (The Advocate in the USA) is based on the career and case
    files of Bartholomew Chassenee, an actual lawyer of the time who served as an
    advocate for animals who were accused of crimes. At the time, animal trials were
    used to determine if animals were the perpetrators of supernatural mayhem.
    Animals were subject to the same civil laws and penalties as human beings under
    French law, 1403–1596.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hour_of_the_Pig

8. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Disable emotion chip

I've got to make a couple updates to my original list based on some movies I've seen recently.

Avengers: Infinity War - Marvel movies are usually good fun but not great. This was great. Seeing it for the first time in theaters was such an emotional roller coaster that left me feeling exhausted at the end (in a good way).
    Black Swan - On the surface it's not my type of movie. Ballerinas? Pfft. But Natalie Portman's performance was sweet and innocent while at the same time being very scary. It has really stuck with me even weeks after seeing it.
    Ex Machina - Another movie that stuck with me for a long time after seeing it. The whole movie is basically 3 characters talking to each other but it is superbly acted all around and some great plot twists.

9. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Chieftain

Films that I can actually rewatch:
    A Very Long Engagement
    Dogma
    Pretty Village, Pretty Flame
    Spartacus
    It's A Wonderful Life
    Apocalypse Now
    The Death of Stalin
    For Queen and Country
    The Usual Suspects
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance
    The Cook, the Thief, his Wife, and her Lover
    A Zed and Two Noughts
    No Country For Old Men
    The Hudsucker Proxy
    Manhattan
    Annie Hall
    Defence of the Realm

10. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

A fan of serbian cinema? :)
    Another translation of the title would be "beautiful villages burn beautifully"

11. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Chieftain

I think that and Underground are the only Serbian films I've seen. Both were very good, very black comedies.

Kyriakos likes this.
  12. Takhisis

Takhisis Naaarf

the op lacks my neighbour totoro and the godfather
    does not compute

13. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

The Godfather was my first favourite movie of all time. The Apocalypse Now, then 2OOI, then Yōjimbo, then Seppuku. The 1962 original, do not accept Takashi Miike remakes.

14. Glassfan

Glassfan Mostly harmless

The best online Zombie flick I've seen recently;

15. caketastydelish

caketastydelish By any means necessary

Kingdom of Heaven
    The Matrix (including the Sequels even if that's an unpopular opinion)
    The original LOTR trilogy
    All Star wars movie in the original trilogy + Episode III of the prequel + Rouge One