What are your starting settings?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Soronery, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Soronery

Soronery Prince

Diety
    Pangea
    Strategic balance
    Allow policy saving
    Allow promotion saving
    No ancient ruins
    Quick combat
    Random personalities

I don't think I'm ever going to play non strategic balance resources again. No iron in the vicinity is ******** and largely unplayable.

Allow policy saving...dumb change to not allow it. Basically just forces you to not build culture buildings early on/get culture allies.

Allow promotion saving: I don't really save promotions often but I see no reason to force promotion. Sometimes I want to wait and see if I want drill or shock late game.

No ancient runes: Makes the game too random. Early advantages are huge and if you get enough it can snowball into giving you an almost free win basically.

2. MadRat

MadRat Cheese Raider

Ruins not runes; a rune is a drawn/printed character.

3. Soronery

Soronery Prince

Thanks didn't notice it.

4. lordsurya08

lordsurya08 class-A procrastinator

Legendary start. It makes the AI civs get great starting locations, making the game more challenging.

5. Rohili

Rohili King

King/Emperor
    Continents
    Everything else standard/default

I am a firm believer in playing the game as it was designed to be played. I think choosing other options (e.g. marathon speed, no barbarians, archipelago) distorts and unbalances the game, since the game designers build the game with the standard settings in mind.

6. LuCypher73

LuCypher73 Chieftain

Random Personalities

I tend to play a pangea because my computer runs slow on maps bigger than tiny and continents is just weird on anything smaller than small. Epic speed and the eras still dont last long enough but I am not fond of the production times for marathon. I am tempted to shut off ruins but I generally get over it and leave it unchecked.

7. MadRat

MadRat Cheese Raider

King/random/12 civs 12 Cs/standard

Rat

8. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

Immortal
    Small Continents/large
    20 civs/20 CS
    Epic or my modified Marathon (epic production speeds with marathon research speed)
    Wet climate (more rivers/lakes)
    3 Billion years old (or four, whatever the youngest is)
    sparse resources
    Rageing barbarians

Does anyone know if it's possible to modify it so you can have a combination of legendary and sparse? Like, a bunch of resources around capitols to make it a mega city, then sparse everywhere else?

It would make capitols more of the powerhouse they should be.

9. Gort

Gort Emperor

With the new library/market/circus buildings and the buffs to the Tradition policies, aren't capitals powerful enough without giving them a legendary start as well?

10. plesniak

plesniak Warlord

King
    22 civs
    28 city states
    standard size
    epic/marathon
    Earth/Pangea/sometimes lakes map also
    5 billion yrs
    hot
    wet
    high sea level

The latest leader I played was Pachuti of the Incas, also played Songhai, Ghandi, Ceaser, Catherine and Elizabeth.

I have been having some fun with these settings as I get to see a lot of the leaders and thier expressions and such. The close quarters actually makes for a pretty entertaining game if you can put up with the frequent flow of leaders for various interactions. Sometimes I disable some of the win conditions or pick just one to see how the AI reacts. There is inevitably a lot of wars and ganging up on one another. Koom Bya.

11. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Favorites, only -- but i also like some diversity often enough to add fun;

King.. or upwards
    Archipelago/Small or Tiny (yep, fast & early inter_activities)
    Me + 3 to 4 Majors, mostly 3CS per civs (thus, 12 to 15)
    No Ruins (I'll create my own luck, thank you very much)
    No Barbarians (for much more Deterministic gameplay)
    Disable Start Bias (Justice for all)

Two all new Allows left as is UNCHECKED... i would have given an arm and a leg for Always-Peace & Always-War instead of trying to please the ICS gamers. It's silly, it's not Vanilla intentions, it's a clear cheat ---IMHO.

Time (if i want to be stressed over a strict limit)
    ONE Victory condition only (Clear Goal to reach)

*Everything else, mostly standard.

I've got preferences for opponents in specific Victory contexts too, instead of trusting random settings -- at times.

12. ClarenceSeedorf

ClarenceSeedorf Chieftain

Askia or Gandhi
    7 AI
    NO CS
    --------
    Prince
    Duel
    Pangea
    Standard speed
    Strategic Balance
    --------
    Domination
    One City Challenge
    Quick Combat

13. sucksforyou112

sucksforyou112 Superman

Usually go random all the way

14. zatarra09

zatarra09 Chieftain

Prince
    HUGE
    Archipelago
    Raging Barbarians
    Sometimes changing the world age to 5 billion- but i havent really noticed that affecting much change

15. BammBamm

BammBamm President of Bammsylvania

16. Soronery

Soronery Prince

What does world age affect?

17. pickle

pickle Lord of the Preserves

King/Emperor (in the process of moving up)
    Standard/Large
    Random map type
    standard/epic or marathon with faster production
    8-14 civs
    all VC
    sometimes raging barbs

try to keep it as random as I can while doing anything in particular that I want to play

18. shanodin

shanodin Chieftain

Warlord (but keeping on trying prince)
    Random size
    Random type
    Atandard speed
    Quick Combat.

For me, the most important thing about setting the game up is to make sure I select quick combat. Since they moved it from the ingame menu, I have to make sure to remember to do it before starting. Not having QC on just really annoys me - the graphics of the fight add nothing to the game but they slow everything down, which gets on my nerves.

19. Slynky333

Slynky333 Warlord

I am in the process of going down the list and playing every civ in an effort to win with each of them at King level. (of course, after about 10 failures with Victoria, I've moved past her for the moment)

In order to make the game somewhat fair, I play on pangea. Continents and anything requiring the AI to mount a navel attack seems unfair (since they seem reluctant to do it). I used to play on lakes but got irritated at the "ranged" arrow flaking off the map and coming in on the other side. And, besides, with pangea, the navel aspect is not completely removed--it's just not as important as in island/continent (etc.) games.

To give the game some randomness/variety, I set opponents, map size, sea level, temperature, and rainfall to random.

Set to generate new random seed (probably unnecessary).

PS: Along those lines...how hard (seriously) would it be to have the settings remain the same from game-to-game (the last setting you used being saved) so I didn't have to do that all the time?

20. Nares

Nares Emperor

Continents/Pangaea
    Small/Tiny map size - overloaded with civs, makes for some exciting AI-AI power struggles; makes me wish there were better diplo options for me to sit back on while they fight
    Quick game pace - makes the slow builds speeds bareable; I tried Marathon once.....I'm sure there's an emote to explain the tedium
    3 Billion years - it's all about the riverside hill farms, baby
    Disable Diplomatic VC - it's super cheesy
    18 Civs and varying amounts of CSs - generally civs are more exciting than CSs; I'll occassionally even disable CSs completely, plus overloading civs crowds CSs out in-general

I've played around with Complete Kills, but the game doesn't seem programmed to support it. Once a civ has been defeated, all their empire information is erased. You end up with bugs like "SoandSo declares war on" while also occassionally receiving ridiculous requests from the "eliminated" AI.

Hills/Mountains.

Younger age gets you more rugged terrain. Older has been weathered more by errosion.

Not that that's actually how it works.

Climate controls terrain quality (ie desert/tundra/snow), and rainfall controls tree/jungle placement.