What books have you read more than once?

rah

Deity
Supporter
Based on some comments in other threads about book hoarding, it was mentioned that it seems kinds of silly since they rarely read a book again. I've probably read close to 4000-5000 books in my life but I have probably read less than 100 more than once. So here's an opportunity for those to list some of the books you may have read more than once, and the reason why. (if there is one)
My all time record is probably Lord of the Rings. I read it when I was younger and enjoyed it so much that I read it again. The first time I skipped the songs. I read it again in High School to help escape from some of the bullying. And then got the opportunity to take it as a college class. I signed up for the fall class and reread it before the class even started. Easiest A ever. A lot of the books I read multiple times were for classes since they were the classics like Fahrenheit 451, Stranger in a Strange Land. I reread a lot of Kurt Vonnegut when I recuperating from a construction accident. I reread the Foundation Trilogy because I felt I didn't understand it all the first time. And finally I reread 'PART' of the DUNE series to point out exactly where it all went wrong. How about you?

And yes, I expect this thread to get boring really really quick

I rarely reread books.

I reread the first few novels from an author's fantasy series because I had purchased a few more from it and wanted to refresh my knowledge of the lore.

I have reread The Traveler by John Twelve Hawks and Wicked by Gregory Maguire.

That's pretty much it, though. Everything else has been a one-and-done, barring books read in early childhood (like the first Harry Potter book and some Stephen King novels).

I've read 2001 multiple times. Probably 5 or 6 by now. Of the sequels I think I've only read 2010 more than once. I've read the Alien novelisation a few times. I'm sure I'll have read multiple Doctor Who books multiple times when I was younger. I think I've read all the Red Dwarf novels multiple times.

Nothing else specific is leaping to mind, but I'm sure there must be many many more (perhaps even some that aren't sci-fi tie-ins!). To me it doesn't seem any more odd than re-watching a film or a TV programme.

I... can't even begin to recall how many. Everything from LotR, to Harry Potter, to a whole host of Star Wars books. Some I've read multiple times that I enjoy a lot still today include Snow Crash, Neuromancer, Frankenstein, anything Phillip Pullman, anything Celeste Ng, Catch-22, anything Nnedi Okorafor, anything Hao Jingfang, uhh... that's a start for now.

When I was a kid I probably read Darth Maul Shadow Hunter 7-8 times and the first 3 Harry Potter books 7-8 times each.

Yeah, just a few none fantasy/sci fi, and again, mostly for classes. red badge of courage, catch 22, brothers Karamazov, Anna Karenina, War and Peace.

LOTR and The Book of Basketball by Bill Simmons are the only ones that come to mind.

Lots
Limiting myself to fiction
A Scots Quair by Lewis Grassic Gibbon
The Once and Future King by TH White
Down the Long Wind by Gillian Bradshaw
Millenium trilogy
Wolfhound Century trilogy
Most Tolkien, Vonnegut,Gore Vidal, Phillip K Dick, Frank Herbert, Joanna Russ, James Crumley, Ellis Peters, Reginald Hill, James Lee Burke, Allan Massie, Joe Abercrombie, Margaret Attwood, Fay Weldon, Phillip Kerr, Phillip Pullman
Most Moorcock, DH Lawrence, CS Lewis, Alberto Moravia (but not in the last 20 years, gone off them)
Innumerable historical and detective fiction (sometimes get half way through them and realise I've read them before)

I reread almost everything I read. Something has to be pretty darn bad for me not to pick it up again.

Theres a few books I will never reread but if I start something I have to finish it.
Lace by Shirley Conran was one of my worst mistakes.

Theres a few books I will never reread but if I start something I have to finish it.
Lace by Shirley Conran was one of my worst mistakes.

I don't finish everything I read, either, so chances are if something wasn't good enough for me to reread, it wasn't good enough to finish once.

I think I've finished almost every book I've ever written except for my foray into fan fiction. That experiment ended quite quickly. Mostly garbage.

Mostly Kafka. Eg the metamorphosis at least 14 times. The trial and the castle three times each, or similar. Same for the diaries. Many other stories (smaller) a few times.
Then random stuff, some collections by borges, various de maupassant stories, crime and punishment (maybe) twice, some shorter dostoevsky and gogol 3 times or more.
For just two times there are a few more, but i cannot be sure. Death in venice, hunger, some tolstoy and chechov, various poems obviously, some platonic dialogues etc.

Besides chapters of the bible (never read the entire thing) and countless children's books...

A couple star wars ones, Heir to the Empire series. The first 4 x-wing ones. That's it. I read them as a middle school kid, then again later maybe college, and then again like late 20s. I don't read that much for entertainment to begin with, maybe one or two novels a year.

A song of ice and fire novels
The little prince
Modern operating systems by Tanenbaum. I had to read/study it several times until I passed an exam

Last edited:
Most if not all of the ones I actually own. Full retention is difficult for me with a single reading.

None.
Well, a half, because I once had to put a book away for a few weeks and couldn't anymore figure out what it was about.
Else I think my time is too precious to spend on this. I haven't read most of the classics mentioned here. I'd rather read them, than reŕeading an old book of mine.

I've reread basically all of my fiction books, and some of my non-fiction books - Robert Fisk The Great War for Civilization, Adam Tooze The Wages of Destruction, and Peter Heather The Goths comes to mind.
Though the fiction book I've reread the most has to be John Varley Demon- partly because it is one of my favorite books and a great imaginative adventure, but also because I had an audiobook of it back when I worked at my old job and would basically listen to it on repeat while doing mindless office scum work.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is the only book I have read more than twice.

major reason why I haven't reread much is I've read so little to begin with :/

Top Bottom