What causes global warming?

OK, I used the HTML editor, but the global warming problem still appears! When I open the XML with notepad, there are still no changes! What give????

The problem is with Vista. You're using Virtual Store, which basically causes no end of problems for innocent users who can't understand why their files aren't being saved. Virtual Store saves you from yourself by not allowing you to change any files in C:\Program Files\ or C:\Program Files (x86)\ , unless you have the appropriate security level.

Simple solution: don't install your games in C:\Program Files\ or C:\Program Files (x86)\ . More complicated solution: learn how NT ACLs work and give yourself higher security (so that you're no longer using Virtual Store). Risky solution: give all your programs that modify files in the protected directories Administrator access. Right click the icon, select Properties, Compatibility, and check the appropriate box.

In Vista and Windows 7, you really shouldn't be modifying any files in Program Files. Use something like C:\Users\Username\My Documents\My Games\Civilization 4\ instead. You're just begging for problems by changing files in protected directories.

Edit: You can turn off Virtual Store entirely by turning off User Account Control.

I believe that you'll have to start a new game. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but, I believe that Civ only reads GlobalDefines once: when it's building a new game.

Well, I started a new game but the global warming presence still appears! I edited using HTML and the changes are reflected but when I open GlobalDefines with notepad, the changes are not reflected! Could this be the cause of the problem? Please help! Thanks!

Well, I finally found a solution to my problem! I have to run as an admin and was able to change GlobalDefines with notepad!!! Thanks for your help guys!!

Powerslave nailed it in his post above yours: Vista isn't allowing you to change the file because it's trying to protect you from changing something important. Perhaps the easiest (And safest) way around this if you're a non-techie is to uninstall the game and then when you reinstall it choose something like C:\Firaxis Games as the install folder.
The basic idea is to install it straight to your C: drive rather than installing it into C:\Program Files. Once you install it to C: Vista should allow your edits to stick.
*Disclaimer: Vista is the first Windows OS since Win98ME that I flatly refuse to run so you may want to wait a bit and see if Powerslave has any objections to my suggested fix.

Another solution is to copy the file to the desktop, edit it there, then copy it back. Vista will throw up a bunch of "Are You Sure You Want to Do That" messages. Just click yes to all of them.

Perhaps the easiest (And safest) way around this if you're a non-techie is to uninstall the game and then when you reinstall it choose something like C:\Firaxis Games as the install folder.

Yeah, that's what I do. I have a folder called C:\GAMES that I use for all my games. I read about that on some other forum long ago, and it solved all my issues with Vista.

*Disclaimer: Vista is the first Windows OS since Win98ME that I flatly refuse to run so you may want to wait a bit and see if Powerslave has any objections to my suggested fix.

Oh, it's a very good idea -- one that you see often in gamer forums. Given a choice, I'd certainly be running something other than Vista, but it's really not quite as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I just wish I could run all my games under Linux.

Several years ago in the old CIV III forum concerning suggestions for CIV IV I suggested that I was pro-choice. That is to say that an on-off button needed to be placed in the game set-up to turn global warming on or off. I went on to say that there is serious doubt around the world as to whether global warming is fact or fiction. This set off a firestorm! I was banished from the forum for having spoken such an opinion and had to change my screen name to get back on.

Algore too says that the debate is over. So be it!

Oh, it's a very good idea -- one that you see often in gamer forums. Given a choice, I'd certainly be running something other than Vista, but it's really not quite as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I just wish I could run all my games under Linux.

Admitely, playing under linux require some works, even if it work most of the time. And reconfiguring wine for somes game is tiresome.

Still, I find funny that a lot of complaint against Vista came from long-due improvement - like this time having real protection against user errors. The real problem with vista was :
* released too soon
* often shipped with laptop computer unable to meet the real requirement and with a tons of horsehockey programs pre-installated.

Hey, windows seven is called that because vista 2.0 would never be sold to anyone. Even since they only polished vista to make seven.

The thing that annoys me about global warming is that it doesn't remove ice or tundra; on a frozen map, actively encouraging global warming should be a viable strategy, but it's not. :(

When I edit the xml file do I put it in the custom assets/xml folder? Or overwrite the original one?

It's also annoying that even if the human player favours lumbermills and builds a nice NP city with a dozen forest preserves, the AI still chops all its forest and causes global warming. So no matter what you do you will get global warming, making it a somewhat flawed feature imo as you can do nothing to influence it.

It's also annoying that even if the human player favours lumbermills and builds a nice NP city with a dozen forest preserves, the AI still chops all its forest and causes global warming. So no matter what you do you will get global warming, making it a somewhat flawed feature imo as you can do nothing to influence it.

This is clearly a design flaw in the game! Why did the developers include global warming to this game!??? It only makes playing the game irritating! What were they thinking!!???

:mad::mad:

This is clearly a design flaw in the game! Why did the developers include global warming to this game!??? It only makes playing the game irritating! What were they thinking!!???

:mad::mad:

Let's take an alternate earth were global warming is sure to arrive. In it, even if a country try really, really hard to protect against it, it would not work, because other country will simply ignore the claims and counter all yours effort simply by polluting more.

So, a realistic design flaw. It does not work in civ4 for the same reason it would not work in real life : beacuase there no way to convince all country to slow down, it's just too costly.

[KC]Bantams;8485795 said:
nuclear power plants cause it too ;)
Which is quite absurd...let's see...how much CO2 and methane do Nuclear plants put out? Zero. Any other GHGs? Nope. Oh, the designers must have drunk the anti-nuclear kool-aid.

Well, it was a little diferent when ONLY nuke plants meltdowns ( nuke plants don't cause GW in Civ IV ever ... atleast while functioning properly ) and nuclear blasts caused GW in game....

My idea is that the original thought of the developers about GW was to make a prisioner dilemma thing with nukes... the issue is that :

-They never taught the AI that there is GW in game. That makes that only one player is aware of the problem. That by itself was enough to unbalance things to the wrong side, since if you know that the oponent has no issue with GW and that you will get it anyway, why try to be a nice guy?

-The game has not 2 players most of the time. That also decreases the value of cooperation vs GW .

-The change they made in 3.13 in certain aspect made things worse. Atleast when it was just nukes and meltdowns, it was more controlable. Now that it checks things like global unhealthiness production ( note: production, not net unhealthiness... Envorimentalism, reciclying... no influence whatsoever ... and knowing how the AI cares for unhealthiness .... ) and forest cover ( we all know that the AI was coded to be a lumberjack until there are no forests in sight ... ), combined with the fact you can't plant forests ( I know this has some game play reasons, but even then... ) makes the GW a certaintly in every game as long as no one wins earlier....

Top Bottom