1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What causes global warming?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Blanchflower, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Blanchflower

Blanchflower Prince

OK, does anyone know the answer??

:confused:

2. Jerrymander

Jerrymander Epistemologist

Nope.

Unless you make it a mod.

3. Blanchflower

Blanchflower Prince

OK, so if I just change the Global warming file, will I still be able to play online? Just this minor change?

4. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

Changing the file (even though you might see it as a minor change) counts as modding the game.

When playing online, you can only play against people who use exactly the same files as you.

So, when you change one file, you are theoretically still able to play online, but this is limited to the people who did exactly the same change, so in practice you won't find people to play with, except all players agree beforehand that they install the modification you made.

This system is in place to protect multiplayer games from cheating.

Edit: Due to this, you should never change the original files of the game if you ever want to go multiplayer. Civ4 is an extremely moddable game, but mods should be put in the folders reserved for them (they will then override the original files when the mod is loaded) - the original files should remain unchanged.

5. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Using a file that makes GW have prob 0 will surely cause OOS ( out of syncrony ) issues if you play MP with people that does not do that, because it will cause diference between RNG outputs when GW starts kicking according with one machine, but not in other. Just for the safe side do as Psyringe said.

6. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

@r_rolo1: Oh, I thought it wasn't even technically possible to start a game while having different files than the others, due to hash checks being performed on the files and failing. But I never actually checked that, so I may have mixed something up. Anyway, our recommendations are valid no matter whether its impossible to start a game with files differing from the others, or whether it's possible but leads to errors later on. :)

7. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

It is possible to start most of the times ( with a "diferent version used" warning ) if the changes are minor ( like maybe this one ) , but it will surely give issues later even if starts. Better act as if it will not start at all :D

8. Blanchflower

Blanchflower Prince

OK, thanks, so how do I do this? I love to play online but I just hate the Global warming. Any advise on how to "bake the cake and eat it too"? :D

9. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Copy the file you want to modify, paste it in custom assets, then make the changes to the file in the custom assets folder.

In SP, it will load up the custom assets.

In MP, it will use standard game data w/o issue.

10. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

As to which file to modify, GolbalDefines.xml looks like a good candidate - see the discussion here:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=3451014#post3451014

It's a pretty old thread though, so no guarantees. Keep in mind that path names may be different for your Complete Edition.

I think most players agree that the implementation of Global Warming is lacking, however there has never been a consensus on how to make it better. Approaches I've seen range from simply removing it to replacing it with fallout (which can be scrubbed). For a while I used a mod that implemented the "fallout" solution, but I don't think it has ever been updated to 3.19, and it would have to be merged with the other mods I'm using anyway. Personally, I've found that most of games are decided before GW becomes an issue, so I just don't care about not having a good implementation of GW anymore.

11. Blanchflower

Blanchflower Prince

OK, thanks, I changed the value to 0 (but did not change GLOBAL_WARMING_TERRAIN) and I still get deserts in my game! What should I do now? This global warming game design is just flawed!

I had to play a whole game just to test it out and when the deserts appeared, I was pissed! I don't want to go through another game just to test this! I even had to use the Word Builder to speed up my game, kill the opponents just to get to 2050 as fast as possible! (It is like watching paint dry!)

:mad:

12. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

Well, that means that either the solution isn't working (which is possible9 and we have to look for something else, or the game didn't read the file changed (you may have put it into the wrong place, or an unchanged version of the file gets loaded from the cache).

So, the first thing to test is whether the game actually loads your changed file. I suggest to change a value that can be tested immediately - for example, setting CIV4_VERSION from 319 (that's the value it should have if your game is fully patched) to something else. Then start the game, click on "Advanced" and "About this Build", and check the displayed version number. If it's not the number you just entered, then your changed file hasn't been loaded and we need to have a look why that happened. If your change made it through, then the game loads the file you want it to load, and then the suggested way of GW removal doesn't work, and we'll have to think about different ways to remove it. Important: Don't forget to set the version number back to its original value after testing this!

(Note: I don't have the game in front of me, so I can't verify if everything I'm saying is correct. If anyone spots an error, please correct it.)

13. Blanchflower

Blanchflower Prince

OK, I am patched to the latest version but how do I change the CIV4_VERSION? Also, must I change the terrain type from desert to GRASS to make sure this works? I don't like to make too many changes to my game, except on those that I feel is a gaming design flaw.

Thanks!

PS: Please note that I have Civilization Complete so which files should I change?

14. Blanchflower

Blanchflower Prince

When I did that, my game behaved very strangely! On starting a new game, I can't see my civilization and when I zoomed in, the screen showed the very bottom of the plains!!! It was scary and surreal stuff! I had to delete the file completely!

Note: I have no experience whatsoever in modding games, especially Civ 4! In fact, my computer knowledge is just basic!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

15. Blanchflower

Blanchflower Prince

Well, I just found out that I must clear the cache. But after making those changes and starting a new game, the changes did not reflect in my new game.

I guess, that once I reach home (I am at work now), I will try to delete the cache.

For your info, the cache file is located at:

Documents & Settings/<USER>/Local Settings/Application Data/My Games/Beyond the Sword/cache

When I am free, I will do this and report my findings to you guys!

Cheers!

:)

16. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

As said, you change the current number (should be 319, otherwise you have the wrong file) to something else. It should be the first entry in the file you're already editing.

And please only do that if you've understood that this change just a quick test to check whether you're loading the correct file, and which has to be reverted afterwards.

Well, in the thread I linked to it was said that this wasn't necessary, the two changes were instead presented as independent fixes. Two different solutions to the same problem, with slightly differing outcomes.

I know, that's why I said that the directory structure might be different for you. I don't know the directory structure of your edition though, so I can't answer that question.

17. Blanchflower

Blanchflower Prince

OK, I changed GW to zero and played a quick game.

Well global warming hardly happened at all! I won't say this is a 100% success but the terrain changing to deserts are very very very rare!

I also played in multiplayer mode with no issues so far.....

I am just keeping my fingers crossed!

:goodjob: