1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What causes phone lines and speakers to snap

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Mr.WorldWide, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Mr.WorldWide

Mr.WorldWide Smugly Inferior

I have noticed that my phone line will snap on a regular basis, like a clock ticking, now I just noticed my speakers do the same. Tick, pause, Tick, pause, Tick.... Why?

Any speculation would be cool. :)

2. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Sounds like there's an electrical signal from some nearby device, machine, or source, that's causing an interference with your phone and speakers.

3. Mr.WorldWide

Mr.WorldWide Smugly Inferior

So phone lines and speakers are both effected by electrical signals? I mean I knew speakers were but not the phone lines. I'll have to do some testing. ;)

4. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Yeah, they can get interference from all sorts of EM sources. Interestingly, I was at a friends once and we had a speaker on (but not playing anything) and it picked up a cell phone call and we listened into it for a few minutes.

Microwave ovens are also notorious for causing interference.

If you are using a landline phone, I would see if you can switch the frequency it's operating on. If you can do this, it should help your problem.

5. Souron

Souron The Dark Lord

That shouldn't be possible. Cell phone signals are digital and highly compressed, because service providers have a very small range of frequencies to work with. A wireless land-line might do that though. Or a wakie-talkie.

6. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

It was a guy calling his wife on his way home from work. We could have been picking up the wireless land line end of it, but we heard them both.

7. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

Actually, that noise is when the government turns on their recorders and starts listening....