1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What changes have you made to the basic game that you like?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Flavor Dave, Jun 28, 2003.

1. Flavor Dave

Flavor Dave Warlord

IMHO, Civ 3, as released, is a kinda sucky game. But I've worked on modifying it, to where it's a great game. But I have my own perspective, so I'm wondering what changes others have made that they're happy with.

Here's what I've done.
    1. Corruption is just too bad. I made courthouses cost 60 shields, and added 2 wonders, Colonial Capital and Strategic Alliance, available with Physics and Radio. They function exactly like FPs. (Physics doesn't really relate, but I originally put it with a different advance, which I forget now, but it didn't come at the right time in the game.)
    2. Ships...sea travel needs to be alot better, partly for realism, partly for gameplay, and partly because you want to have a reasonable game if there's alot of water. So I made caravels travel 6 and carry 3, and transports travel 10.

One or two other minor things. And that's the "scenario" I play every time.

2. frekk

frekk Scourge of St. Lawrence

I increased ship movement alot too.
    Added lethal sea bombardment to most aircraft and ships.
    Added some resources .. salt (a luxury), drugs (strategic - needed for hospitals - I also wanted this as a lux which increases corruption but no dice there), copper (strategic, needed for many ancient units, but also for alot of modern era electronically advanced units), cotton (bonus resource)
    Plus a bunch of graphic changes
    My next change I have planned is to have obsolete units change graphics and sounds with each change of era, like workers. There's no way to change the name, but my spearmen, pikemen and musketeers are basically going to become Irregular Forces in the industrial era, with single-shot rifles, but the same stats and still upgradeable.
    Also I made it possible to settle on mountains, and added a few units, principally recon units which are upgrades to the Explorer
    I haven't got around to doing anything about corruption - I don't really mind it the way it is, except that I usually play on Deity and it can get pretty bad, so I'm planning on raising the optimal number of cities. I don't see any need for a third palace, if my empire gets really big I'll just go communist, which is what that government is supposed to be for.

3. zulu9812

zulu9812 The Newbie Nightmare

4. Knight_Bond007

Knight_Bond007 Warlord

1-) changing the folowings leaderheads for : Elizabeth for Churchill, Joan for Napoleon, Cataline for Stalin (ill prefer to have a Peter the great, but meanwhile....).

2-) I wanna work on the corruption/waste, but i havent been there yet.

3-) add new units, civs and resources.

4-) modifying tech tree, fusioning those tech too related (like ecology and recicling)..and adding some mores to diversify.

5-) new goverments.

5. Yoda Power

Yoda Power ✫✫✫✫✫✫✫

what have I done:hmm:, well besides re-working the whole game to Medieval Europe I havent done anything;)

6. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

Personally, I like the Joan of Arc leaderheads (minus the modern era one). Also, corruption has been improved in later patches of Civ3, AND, you can even adjust it.

7. Flavor Dave

Flavor Dave Warlord

One I forgot is to change the minimum number of turns to get a tech from 4 to 3. It's been amazing to me how much that little change makes the game better.

Frekk...I considered giving the explorer a more modern equivalent, special forces. Give it a bit of defense, make it invisible unless you bump into it. But I thought that might be too much of an advantage for the human player, who will know how to use the unit better. The game already, IMHO, has a serious problem with the ancient era being too hard and the modern era being too easy. (For me, any game I can get out of ancient times in decent shape, I've got a 2/3 chance to win.) The human player would be much more adept at using special forces to disrupt the enemy.

8. Flavor Dave

Flavor Dave Warlord

Zulu...I read the first 2 pages of that thread, but it was mostly people obsessing about historical accuracy. Some people get off on that, but I don't. If you give me a choice between increasing gameply in an era by 10% or increasing historical accuracy by 50%, I'll take the better gameplay.

I already made marines attack 9, but I still don't use them. I'm considering making infantry def. 9, or (probably better) adding a unit between riflemen and infantry with def. 8.

The way the game is (and I guess it's also my weakness as a player), I find it impossible to get anywhere on watery worlds. The AI uses its supergalleys to make contact very early, and by the time I reach them, every damn one of them is 6 techs or more ahead. So if I'm on an island, I don't even go on with the game. Which is probably one reason I never use marines. I never get to that era on maps where I need to launch amphibious assaults.

Someone suggested making galleys "wheeled" and making ocean squares impassable to wheeled units. I'm gonna consider that...it seems a pretty drastic change. I may need to make caravels come earlier too. I'll think on it.

9. thestonesfan

thestonesfan A Client of Ron Kuby

The only time I can play normal Civ and enjoy it is in the GOTM. And I haven't done that for a while.

Anyway, here's my changes -

Added units- I alternate between adding a ton and just plugging a few holes here and there.

Ships - Made them a lot better. Faster and more powerful, but also rather pricey.

Planes - Juiced them up. I felt the airpower was pretty impotent in original Civ.

Reduced Corruption - I had Temples & Cathedrals reduce corruption in addition to the Courthouse.

Reduced Pollution - I HATE cleaning up pollution, so I eliminated most building pollution and reduced the amount of turns it takes to clean it up.

Tech Tree tweaks - A few new techs and a few changed ones, as well as some research cost changes.

I made the Marines better, because they look cool and I wanted to use them.

10. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

There's a lot of good ideas in that thread, but if you don't care to read it (all 45635 pages of it :)), then that's your decision. I'll just say that I won't re-post my ideas here, when you can go there.

11. Nder

Nder King

I just play DyP and these seems to fix most of the problems, both histoically and gameplay wise. :)

12. frekk

frekk Scourge of St. Lawrence

Specal forces, IMHO, is already covered by Marine and Paratrooper units. My recon units are armoured cars like used in WW2 - not invisible, good movement, low cost, but very poor attack and defense ratings. They tend to get toasted alot, but, as they are so very cheap, it doesnt matter so much - and in fact the AI chasing after them means it is sending forces away from the front. The AI itself tends to make excellent use of these units as well, raiding far into my territory on pillaging/capturing workers missions (on the higher difficulty levels at least).

13. Daedalus420

Daedalus420 Chieftain

I think Civ3 is a great game from the start... However I feel time goes by too fast. Geeze will conquering frances two boarding cities I have wasted 100's of years.(Increase time a turn in ealrier years) I think that should be kept but made alot less, alot. They should make tech research very slow but time less fast. Same effect except you get more turns. Ahh the old Civ War Chariot how I miss those days:(

14. SK138

SK138 Warlord

Daedalus, I have wanted to make the time go slower as well but I haven't figured out how. Do you know of anyway to do it?

15. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

At "World Sizes" in the editor you can choose "tech rate". If you change it to a higher number it will be harder to get the techs.

16. SK138

SK138 Warlord

Is there a way to make it so the turns don't skip as many years?

17. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

Go to scenario =>Scenario Properties.