What Changes Should the New Civs get in the Fall Patch?

None of these are an issue combined with the rest of their respective civs. The only civ that is above and beyond the rest in this expansion is poland, and not by far. Everything you've suggested changing is already fun to play too so wouldn't need changing on those grounds.

I don't mind minor balance things, but i honestly think all the civs with these aspects you mentioned are already MORE than strong enough to hold their own without being overpowered.

I'm more concerned with how older aspects of the game are becoming left behind and dull

I'm more concerned with how older aspects of the game are becoming left behind and dull

Ditto. Buff the older civilizations rather than nerf the new ones.

The older civs, especially the Vanillas, were created when the game was less complex with less features, and it's beginning to show. Many are lackluster and/or boring and could benefit a reimagining wherein they take advantage of the new systems.

Of all of your suggestions I think the last one is the most sensible.

At least Indonesia wouldn't totally suck on pangea maps.
Then again there are some older civs that are even worse.

The older civs, especially the Vanillas, were created when the game was less complex with less features, and it's beginning to show. Many are lackluster and/or boring and could benefit a reimagining wherein they take advantage of the new systems.

Some of the older civs had the rug pulled out from under them by later changes. For example Germany's cheap spam Landsknecht now upgrades into a less favorable unit, changes to the combat formulas have made Bushido less useful, India got affected by the increased per city unhappiness (although food trade routes are a buff to them).

Germany and Japan need to be changed significantly. If they can get to Denmark too, that would be great, but the first two are very outdated and pretty much impossible to play at this point in civ 5's development.

This hits the nail on the head perfectly.

I feel the new civs are interesting and balanced. On the other hand there are awful civs like America which are just plain boring.

The only new civ I feel needs somewhat of a change is Indonesia, as the diceroll nature of them is a bit ridiculous (need islands, need iron, random promotions, luck with freshwater, luck with religions). I think it would be alright to give the extra resources to either a new continent or a city at least, say, 20 hexes away, which would make it trickier on Pangaea but at least not impossible.

But yeah, some older civs getting a change would be more welcome.

I believe the Feitora already works like that. The Impi is a good unit but I don't think it needs to be nerfed. It's fine as it is. The Kris Swordsman doesn't need an extra promotion but having 'bad' promotions is an awful idea. The Shoshone are fine as they are IMO. I like the Indonesia suggestion but I think it'd be more important to address the fact that they are absolutely useless on some maps first.

I'd much prefer to see changes to some old civs before we see any changes to the new ones, though.

Nothing wrong with old civs.... vanilla is good. Not every civ should be forced to change their strategy to their playstyle.

The world needs a few America, Russia, Poland, Ottoman civs. Germany's probably my least favorite civ flavor-wise. Japan is fine, a small buff would be nice, maybe add a culture aspect to the UA that's more active, but def no need to do any major re-haul.

And yes, I agree on Indonesia. Maybe have it contingent on an early tech, like Calendar, so they can't just settler-expand right off the bat. They would still not be a very powerful civ on most maps, even with 4 luxuries to start (think: Netherlands), but at least they would no longer be just plain bad on non-island maps.

I'd like to see the Kris Swordsman promotions all changed so they each have a large benefit and small penalty.

This.
It's really, really, not fun for the last 4 Kris Swordsmen produced to come out with Enemy Blade or Evil Spirits.

A couple of annoying ones

Indonesia UA: should not remove resources in the tiles below it. (Maybe grant the resources and 2 gold from an unsellable/undestroyable building.)

Indonesia UU: should cycle like ruin rewards (each can only be taken 1/3 times)

Germany and Japan could do with something that encourages them to build more; a UA that isn't necessarily focused on domination would go a long way towards making the Panzer and Zero more useful, since as it is waiting for those UU's to show up involves deliberately avoiding your best opportunities to win with your civ's advantages.

The problem with Kris Swordsman is devs only put the unit in because of the American Civil War scenario (the idea of random promotions originated from that scenario), so it is unlikely that they will change it.

I agree with everybody that the Kris Swordsman needs to change.

There are too many dice rolls between the UA, UU and UB that it's not even fun playing them most of the time

They are the only civ completely dependent on a select few map types (even Polynesia gets its benefits despite the map)

Top Bottom